Forums » Fallout

Weapon Crafting in Fallout 4: What are you picturing?

• 1441 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:33 PM EST

I think it was so you couldn't have, I don't know, a dick shaped plasma minigun that fire mini nukes powered by drinking Nuka Cola and singing the American National Anthem

• 1217 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:33 PM EST
    You can be sarcastic as you want, doesn't change anything.
    • 1217 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:40 PM EST
    Reload speed and weight differences are negligible. I mean, we can talk about the countless permutations all day, but the fact is, relatively few matter or make a big difference. It's still a large selection and of weapons, but nothing like what it was billed as.
    • 490 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:47 PM EST
    Well sure it was... 50 base weapons means around 14 total mods for each weapon, give or take the weapon type. There are close to 30 mods alone for the 10mm pistol.
    • 1217 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:52 PM EST
    Yes, but ultimately all you've got is 10mm pistol or SMG.
    • 490 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:55 PM EST
    That's one way of looking at it. Which is nothing short of what they billed it to be.
    • 1441 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:56 PM EST

Well, we've got mods to increase our options. Still, Jetpacks, best upgrade

• 1217 posts
    November 27, 2015 11:59 PM EST
    Well, I'm sure not many feel as I do. But there's a good reason they showcased the laser pistol as their example of customization and not the 10mm.
    • 1913 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:13 AM EST
    Well the 10mm has never been able to be anything other than a pistol or SMG in the series... Ever... Meanwhile the laser weapons have pistol shotguns, sniper rifles, automatic rifles, flamethrowers, etc. Using that as an example of limitless customization that only your mind can limit is easier for that cause we see the weapon constantly change and add stuff... The 10mm has never changed.
    • 1217 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:19 AM EST
    That's my point. The laser and plasma weapons can do that, and to a lesser extent, the pipe weapons. Nothing else approaches that level of diversity. It's excellent marketing, because in a vacuum, your viewers are left with an impression of customization that isn't present elsewhere.
    • 1441 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:26 AM EST

Well, no system is perfect, while it isn't like you can do say, COD or Battlefield like customization, where you COMPLETELY pimp out your weapon, it still is pretty good in my book

• 1913 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:30 AM EST

I feel if you expected that level of customization everywhere, you were just being delusional. Like, when I, the Fallout mega fan, say you need to lower your expectations and be realistic... That is when you should do so.

• 1217 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:47 AM EST
    Quantifying your "fandom" is pretty meaningless. And the purpose of marketing is to shape expectation. It wouldn't help Bethesda to display the limitations of the crafting system. Again, the whole point of showing off the laser/plasma customization was so people would think "Can't wait to do that with the other weapons." That's not delusion, it's illusion, plain and simple.
  • November 28, 2015 9:34 PM EST

It's fun to start an argument, then go into a media blackout for awhile and not get to participate. :P

What I really mean is that there's just not a lot of variety in the mods. Automatic or semi-auto, rifle or pistol, iron sights or reflex or sniper...that stuff's all good, but beyond that it's incremental upgrades to range and damage or things like bayonets that aren't really worth the trade-offs.

Part of it may be the lack of differing ammo types. Things like explosive bullets or cryo rounds come as legendary weapon drops, instead of mods you can add to any gun. I think that might have been a nice feature. Pipe, laser and plasma weapons are all very customizable (the ability to switch them between rifles and pistols, as well as auto and semi-auto is good), but any of the "realistic" guns are much more limited. There's no turning a hunting rifle into a pistol, or a shotgun into a slug-throwing sniper. I'm not saying I'd love to use any of those things...but it does seem decidedly more simplistic than was implied. Maybe that's just me.

Armor stuff is even more limited, though I do really enjoy the layering system. It allows you to continue to wear stuff like the Vault jumpsuits or Minuteman uniforms without having DR like a baby's.

• 41 posts
    December 2, 2015 8:43 AM EST

Will do friend, will do