Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls Movie: Yes or No?

• 1467 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:29 PM EDT

If they do it well, then yes. The odds of that  happening (based off other video game movies) is pretty low so if they announced it I wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

I wouldn't mind watching a Movie Adaption of the Elder Scrolls books though. I've never gotten around to reading them and I generally don't mind Move adaptions of books.

• 24 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:45 PM EDT
    I think it would be good if a company like Lionsgate made it, but if anybody else made it i don't think it would be that great.
    • 743 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:46 PM EDT

Not sure if youre being curious or argumentive, but I'll gladly answer your question.

I really think it's common sense. While the TES lore is wonderfully rich, I just can't see it being pulled of in a way to appease to us die hard Elder Scrolls fans. What is TES about? Player's choice. Why would a movie be good for a game that promotes player's personal decisions? A movie is the complete opposite of that, and rather contradictory when you think about it.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:53 PM EDT

I'm curious, but it's a point I'm willing to contend. I don't think we enjoy the in-game books (snippets though they may be) any less for not involving player choice. I imagine the ES novels that have been published would be reasonable comparison, but I have no idea whether or not they're successes. I haven't read them because if I did choose to indulge in non-gaming TES experience, I would want it to be based on stories that have already taken place, rather than original ones.

And though TES is about player choice, that doesn't stop die hard fans from enjoying lengthy "Lets Play" series' in which someone else is making all the choices, or indeed the fan fiction we have here. Quite a lot of it is more than two hours of material.

• 743 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:59 PM EDT

Good points, but I don't agree with the last one. There's a big difference between a goofy Let's Play and a 2 hour movie.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 11:03 PM EDT

Very true, but some of the most popular Let's Plays are serious, disciplined roleplay experiences.

• 743 posts
    September 2, 2015 11:07 PM EDT

That's also true. But there's still a huge difference between the two. Let's Play's show off actual gameplay, glitches, grinding skills, etc. It's also still a game with a very different atmoshpehere. A movie, on the other hand, is simply watching a protagonist naturally get involved with a well organized, thought out plot. 

• 1441 posts
    September 2, 2015 11:39 PM EDT
    A Metal Gear Solid movie would be neat
    • 700 posts
    September 2, 2015 11:42 PM EDT

Considering all of the stories that have come out of this site alone, it would clearly be difficult to chose one and fit it into even a three hour movie.  The point of RPG's like TES is choice.  A movie would show one choice, and it would probably show the most basic choice.  Dragonborn who defeats Alduin.  Boring.  The audience would clearly be gamers, but we've seen that story.  We've played that story.  I wouldn't pay money to watch someone take a journey that I already took (especially since mine had a personal meaning).  It would be a cash grab.  So it could be done.  And it would probably make money.  But it would be a meaningless production.  

• 743 posts
    September 2, 2015 11:43 PM EDT

This.

• 56 posts
    September 3, 2015 7:47 AM EDT
    Yes, player choices.. OR they could just show a film about how Atmora or Yokudan got messed up, or how the Falmer came to be, or even how the Dwemer's mass extinction/disappearance came to be! The possibilities are endless. Its not just about us and what we did throughout our whole ES playthrough. I mean, if they did that only the one who played the game would understand, or at least appreciate it. For me making a video game adaptation is not just about appeasing the video game or comic lore nazis. Its about getting the story to the general public. Its for entertainment. Unfortunately you guys arent wrong as well. Some film companies just want to make a quick buck on best-selling video games. But if the lore people of game studios could just have the freedom they need, I think any video game or even comic book adaptations would turn out well.

P.S. On the risk of sidetracking this discussion, I must say I am a great Warcraft fan and I am concerned about how its gonna turn out. I mean, Warcraft isnt Warcraft without huge badass shoulder guards, but it can be forgiven. What concerns me are the orcs, if Durotan's poster is any indication. He looks WAAYY too human. And the tusks! Warcraft orcs arent Warcraft orcs without long, pointy, and scary tusks to make them more bestial. :-D
    • 56 posts
    September 3, 2015 7:53 AM EDT
    And TES books *coughs*sucks*coughs*. Theyre not very good.
    • 1441 posts
    September 3, 2015 12:22 PM EDT

I liked them, well, Lord of Souls anyway

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 3, 2015 1:40 PM EDT

No.

Why?

D&D.

The Nerds Remember.

• 77 posts
    September 3, 2015 1:55 PM EDT

I think that the Main quest in Skyrim could be made into a very thematic, epic, and fulfilling movie experience, but I don't think any studio would be willing to take the risk.  It would probably need to be made as a trilogy just to encompass the climactic dragon battles, and that's with trimming a lot of fat from the story.  If the world of TES was given the proper respect and had enough money and talent devoted to creating the movie I would buy a ticket in a heart beat.

However, I think if this movie were actually made it would be more like Dungeons & Dragons the Movie and less like The Hobbitt.

• 338 posts
    September 3, 2015 2:22 PM EDT

I think it would be cool to see an ES movie. I'm not the sort of person to get all upset if the studio does something "wrong" or whatever. If it's entertaining, I'll enjoy it. 

• 65 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:35 AM EDT

I think an Elder Scrolls movie wouldn't work out because first of all they need a character to choose, second of all there are too many choices. For example what if they did one on the civil war in skyrim would the character be a stormcloak or an imperial, would the protagonist be the dovahkiin or just a soldier, and for example they did the movie and the Stormcloaks win then all the Imperial fans would get really pissed and vice versa.