Forums » Elder Scrolls

Elder Scrolls Movie: Yes or No?

• 641 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:17 PM EDT

Recently movie studios have been trying to jump on the geek culture bandwagon after the huge cash cow that comic book movies have turned out to be. One of the ways they have been trying to do this is with movies based after video games. We have just had the releases of the second Hitman movie and Assassin's Creed and Warcraft movies are coming soon as well as other planned.

But what about an Elder Scrolls movie? Do you think it could be done? Would you want the movie to retell one of the stories in the games or do it's own thing? Would you even want a ES movie in the first place?

• September 2, 2015 3:19 PM EDT
    Yes
    • 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:21 PM EDT

Movies based on games end up stinking due to the studios wanting money

• 1441 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:29 PM EDT

Might be good, might be bad

• 29 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:33 PM EDT

The thing I love about Elder Scrolls, is that it's about MY choices. A movie is about someone else's choices. I'm sure it's possible to make a good ES movie, not sure I'd enjoy it as much as I'd want to.

• 66 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:36 PM EDT

No.

• 133 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:38 PM EDT
    No. it would suck and then drag the elder scrolls name through the mud. It couldn't be done.
    • 694 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:40 PM EDT

Eh. I'm not sure I would be into it... Tbh, I didn't much care for the ESO live-action trailer. It just felt... off... to me somehow. I heard there's a Borderlands movie in the works... that one I may actually be into if they can capture the comic book style. 

• 694 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:43 PM EDT

^^This.

• 1441 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:54 PM EDT

And the sheer insanity of Pandora. Also, there have been live action Assassins Creed short films, two I believe. One featuring Ezio's dad

• 773 posts
    September 2, 2015 4:24 PM EDT

To be honest, I don't think it would turn out very well somehow

I'd probably go and see it, just so I could say I'd been - I'm something of a 'completionist'. But I'd be very surprised if it didn't stink the joint out.

• 641 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:10 PM EDT

I actually agree with most people here, I don't think I would like it. I'm a big comic fan of comics and all my comic friends see a movie for their favourite characters as the be all and end all, but I think the source material is always the best form of media for the story told and the movie is just a cash grab. For instance Sandman is the greatest piece of fiction in comic format and the idea that they are making a movie out of it scares the carp out of me.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:14 PM EDT

I would see an ES movie based on any of the current ES stories on opening night in theaters. It wouldn't ruin anything for me, I don't have to treat it as canon, and at worst, I'll pay 10 bucks to be only mildly entertained.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:17 PM EDT

Not really. Fallout, however...

• 29 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:18 PM EDT

Me too....I'm a massive Gaiman fan and adore Sandman. At one point I could have seen Michael Wincott as Dream, but now......I guess I'm too much of a purist. However both Coraline and Stardust were amazing adaptations

Unfortunately Sandman has Neil Gaiman standing up for it, not sure who the studio would listen to in regards to standing up for ES best interests.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:27 PM EDT

Absolutely. I'd even go see an original Fallout story.

• 1441 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:32 PM EDT

Nuka Break anyone....

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:36 PM EDT

it's good but fan made though

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:38 PM EDT

Oh yeah! That was certainly great, and the quality was surprisingly good for a web series funded solely by the public

• 404 posts
    September 2, 2015 5:40 PM EDT

it is good and funny when it wants to be.

• 641 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:33 PM EDT

Whats this?

• 411 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:54 PM EDT

Only if its a adaption of one of the TES novels 

• 98 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:03 PM EDT

Yes. Whether it goes good or bad, I think it's something TES should do.

• 743 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:06 PM EDT

Nah, it'd decrease the overall quality of TES.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 10:21 PM EDT
    How so? Would you say the multiple failed attempts at a Hitman movie have lowered the quality of the series?