Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lycanthropy & Vampirism: would you ever really?

• 404 posts
    February 18, 2016 1:28 AM EST

I would be one, I love the Native American tales of the Lycan. I am part Cherokee in my mothers side, not a whole lot but still. the Greek/Roman tale is also great.

• 321 posts
    February 18, 2016 1:45 AM EST

Werewolf. Why?

1. I like wolves since they symbolize a lone hunter.

2. We don't have to end up with glowing eyes or pale skin.

3. We're not Heliophobic (afraid of sunlight)

4. Vampires are servants to Molag Bal who rewards them with rape, torture, damnation and a twisted version of Tamriel (which I don't think anyone would want to live there.) while Hircine rewards werewolves with endless amount of prey in the Hunting Grounds.

5. All you have to do is drink the blood of a werewolf instead of offering yourself to be raped by Molag to be a powerful vampire.

6. Werewolves can take down a dragon

I think there's more but that's all I have. So, in short, Werewolves FTW.

• 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 1:52 AM EST

6.  Well, I mean, have you seen a Volkihar Master Vampire take on a dragon?

• 321 posts
    February 18, 2016 1:54 AM EST

Depends on which type of dragon your referring.

• 275 posts
    February 18, 2016 1:55 AM EST
    Yes, what good are claws while you are getting thrown off a cliff?
    • 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:03 AM EST

Are you asking me to summon a Nightmaster Vampire and a Legendary Dragon for a deathmatch?

• 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:03 AM EST

Claws?  I don't get it.

• 321 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:05 AM EST

Perhaps. But did you use any AI mods when the dragon and vampire fought? If you were using Revenge of the Enemies, then I can see how that is possible.

• 66 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:05 AM EST
    It's all about the Dova Bear!
    • 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:09 AM EST

No, but I've heard that a Volkihar Master Vampire absolutely curb stomps an Ancient Dragon, so I'd like to see how they do against the much more powerful Revered and Legendary varieties and their brutal shouts.

• 66 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:12 AM EST
    Once knocked airborne were- claws and teeth are useless, but vampires can still float and fly around because they lack substance and are airheaded, like a trash bag in the wind. :-P
    • 275 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:14 AM EST
    • 367 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:32 AM EST

Counter Argument.

There’s been many a time in my play throughs where I’ve lobbed off the head of a Vampire and even thrown them against the wall, killing them outright. A good few times I’ve slammed them into the ground and ripped their chests open before they can even scream.

Can never recall one hit killing a Werewolf though…

• 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 2:57 AM EST

To be fair, those are the garden variety werewolves, not even Vargr level combatants.  Although then 10:1 numbers might be a bit unfair.

• 159 posts
    February 18, 2016 3:24 PM EST

I think I would be vampire but only if I could be a Volkihar. If not then werewolf.

• 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 3:44 PM EST

Er, one-hitting werewolves is pretty easy... the weakest variety only has 100 hp, the strongest boss has 535...  If I'm trying to make a crazy OP character (no exploits tho), I can easily hit 535 in a single non-sneak blow...

• 1441 posts
    February 18, 2016 3:48 PM EST

Well, considering what the Gangrel's abilities are, that makes sense. I remember that fight in Bloodlines with that werewolf. Even as a badass Brujah, things were tough

• 275 posts
    February 18, 2016 3:53 PM EST
    I've killed many werewolves in my playthroughs and they were hardly a challenge. I run across a Volkihar master vampire though I have to hide behind cover and throw shock spells at the fuckers, if I even attempt to charge them with anywhere over half their magicka left then I usually have to chug a few potions.
    • 1441 posts
    February 18, 2016 3:57 PM EST

Oh right, been awhile. 

• 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 4:02 PM EST

Yeah, only time I was ever completely unafraid of vampires on a playthrough was when I had 100% absorb.  They weren't so tough then

• 275 posts
    February 18, 2016 4:07 PM EST
    Yep, they got nothin' on the Obsidian Sentinel.
    • 237 posts
    February 18, 2016 4:08 PM EST

I was thinking the Sapiarch myself.  Fire spells and Necromage!

• 27 posts
    March 3, 2016 11:45 AM EST

1: This is actually a tougher question than just abilities and social strictures. I could never take a handle on being a Vampire as being restricted to a diet of blood and the Vampire society structure just doesn't do well with me. BUT, lycanthropy is something I would consider in as much as how it is presented by The Companions. The  hard part is, if believed by lore, you still end up serving Hircine. See, I hate having to be the servant to anyone, let alone a Daedric Prince. Not exactly inspiring even with all of the benefits. However, with the backing of The Companions where there is an actual small community of werewolves, I could see that as being viable. Having to hunt or watch for the change and run off to the wood line doesn't bother me so much. It might be somewhat challenging, but I don't mind living off the land in the real world, so it isn't a stretch. It still gives me some issue with the whole serving eternally as a plaything for Hircine though.I would have to think very carefully before just signing up willingly. Power for power's sake isn't enough for me. A tight knit community with the chance to have normalized relations with friends as well as intimate relationships would have to be proven first. I mean, with the Companions, it's easy, you have a small circle of friends, but what of a mate? No guarantees. What if all your werewolf friends died before you? Then what? A lot to weigh in. I would have to have a driving need to take it on as willing participant, something that balances the sacrifice (eternal hunting dog, society hunting you etc) and power alone isn't enough. On the plus side, I love the outdoors, having the power to hunt as a beast and run with the wolves...not too bad a deal. When it comes to a fight, pretty powerful creatures with less restrictions on diet etc than vampires.

Now, of the two, hands down Werewolf over being a vampire. At least as a werewolf, you can blend into society easier for interaction etc. Vampires, yeah too many restrictions and quite honestly, as portrayed in Skyrim, they really aren't a very happy lot.

• 367 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:43 AM EST

Nicely thought out Vulkhammar

Being a werewolf isn't just about power and raw strength, it's being part of a family, a pack. it's a way of life and after life.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Hunting Grounds, I firmly believe and would argue that pack members remain in their packs after death.

Upon our deaths, both Aela and myself will run for eternity by each others side.

Welcome to the pack. Wolfbrother.

• 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:52 AM EST

Lycanthropy hands down. Woof woof. (meow)