Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lycanthropy & Vampirism: would you ever really?

• 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:32 PM EDT
    If the transformation (to either) isn't enough to irreparably change who you are at your core, then all the wretched and awful things you would have to do and see over such an extended period of time certainly would. In my opinion, of course.
    • 700 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:33 PM EDT

I'd consider it a trial run.  I'd rather try it out and find out I don't like it than die wondering.  

• 66 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:34 PM EDT

Being undead doesn't appeal to me, but immortality would. Remember, while our world suffers many horrors, it is also filled with countless wonders, I think the chance to experience those would be worth it. Although, I would probably end up with a god complex and think the world was mine to guide and shape.

• 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:35 PM EDT
    Aghh!! Both such good and valid points Exuro!!
    • 38 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:40 PM EDT
    Yeah, I would temper my blood sucking over the eons by finding cures for cancer, developing a fusion reactor, a warp drive so I could find alien worlds, and feed on them. Strive for world peace, equality and eliminate poverty.
    • 38 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:40 PM EDT
    And at some point write a novel
    • 700 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:42 PM EDT

And then develop the magic to clone things so you could reprint your novel.  And people.  And food.  And money...huh.  Don't break Skyrim's economy.  

• 38 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:47 PM EDT

Awesome! A magic 3-D printer? Or a replicator?

Tea, Elves Ears, hot! 

• 694 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:52 PM EDT
    I think you and Legion may be the more noble exceptions to the vamp community. :)
    • 38 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:53 PM EDT

Thank you Edana. I think I would still go and be naughty, just not evil... ;)

• 743 posts
    September 4, 2015 10:55 PM EDT

My thing is that youre literally watch your friends, family, children, etc all die even though they're way younger than you. No way I could do it.

• 66 posts
    September 4, 2015 11:29 PM EDT

Family/friends dying would be very hard, especially since some may turn against you in jealousy or what not. Although most people experience loved ones dying and still move on, I was actually chatting about this a few days ago. A good point that was brought up was how does an immortal/ long lived one approach relationships. Do you isolate yourself, become distant from the mortals, either to protect yourself or from not being able to relate; or view each relationship as a rare and fleeting moment that should be treasured while it lasts?

Sorry, been in a self-reflecting mood lately, so counteracting random question:

Can a vampire survive in vacuum (i.e. space)? Assuming you could depressurize yourself at a slow enough rate not to explode.

• 38 posts
    September 4, 2015 11:44 PM EDT

If they don't breathe and have any air in their lungs they are unlikely to go through explosive decompression but any fluid in their system (i.e. a blood meal) would quickly form bubbles causing the vampire's belly to rapidly swell.

The ablative effects of unshielded cosmic radiation would quickly burn away its flesh and if exposed to direct sunlight, well, you know what happens there...

• 66 posts
    September 4, 2015 11:58 PM EDT

Knew I could count your expertise, well there goes my vampires in space build... Did you know Tardigrades, a micro-animal, can go into a hibernation mode and survive in space, a few even survived direct UV-radiation. 

• 38 posts
    September 5, 2015 12:03 AM EDT
    Wow that's fascinating! I did not know that. Now vampire Tardigrades, that would be interesting!
    • 367 posts
    September 5, 2015 3:50 AM EDT

What!!! So you want to go hunting on the plains with Aela as well?... Thats a territory dispute if I ever heard one... .

(Anyone notice the lack of 'Welcome to the pack' here...

• 38 posts
    September 5, 2015 4:01 AM EDT
    Sotek, it's your turn in the corner.
    • 394 posts
    September 5, 2015 6:13 AM EDT

Sorry guys, I just don't wanna die. Quite simple really 

• T
    • 32 posts
    September 5, 2015 6:23 AM EDT

People seem to forget that werewolf are tanks without armour. This basically means that to survive an attack you will withstand incredible amounts of pain, while murdering people in gruesome ways. You'll live, but you'll probably puke your lungs out, and feel crippled by the pain afterwards.

No, you don't actually want to be a lycanthrope.

• 367 posts
    September 5, 2015 8:07 AM EDT

All aware of the pain threash hold. Won't mention a spoiler here but I will say that pain is all part of it. Werewolves aren't tanks without armor either. They have a great deal of stamina yes, but silver is great way of countering it. Werewolves deal damage not absorb blows. Kill fast, kill quickly, leave nothing but a half eaten corpse.

• 17 posts
    September 5, 2015 9:40 AM EDT

1. No

2. If i had to choose I would probably choose werewolf because I could hide it more efficiently although I personally find vampires to be much coolerererer
  • September 5, 2015 10:42 AM EDT

I wouldn't choose either.

But, if I had to be one, it would be a werewolf. It seems much more...manageable. 

• 180 posts
    September 5, 2015 11:32 AM EDT

Without being forced, I'd pick lycanthropy. It is fairly easy to hide and it just sounds like fun (albiet, incredibly painful). It would be easy to avoid harming innocents as well, even if I lost control in beast form. I think I'd pick it regardless of where in tamriel I was, but in Skyrim it would be especially useful for navigating the terrain.

That being said, I don't think I'd really mind being a vampire to much. From what I read in the comments it seemed like a lot of people assumed you would have to kill to feed, which just isn't true. Not only that, but it would be entirely possible that I could find a friend to feed from whenever necessary like the count of skingrad did. The only downsides would be, being weakened during the day (i'm a night owl anyway) and a weakness to fire, which I wouldn't want on me as a human anyway.  On the flip side, I'd have the potential to live forever, and who wouldn't want that?

• 275 posts
    November 11, 2015 9:10 PM EST
    How about being both?
    • 694 posts
    November 11, 2015 11:12 PM EST

Interesting suggestion, but I think IRL it would just not be possible. So if you were forced to choose... which way would you go?