Forums » Elder Scrolls

Reachman: Good or bad?

• 27 posts
    August 31, 2015 7:17 AM EDT

If we saw the early days of the forsworn I might feel some sympathy for them. Now though, I wouldn't say they are completely evil but they are far from being good or even neutral.

While its a noble idea to fight to reclaim you're homeland,  how it's done is another thing entirely, and  in the case of the forsworn the end does not justify the means.

• 16 posts
    August 31, 2015 7:52 AM EDT

This ^

The Reachmen were once peaceful people. Then, the Nords left Markarth to go to to the Great War, and the Reachmen thought it was better than living in mountains, so they moved to the "deserted" Markarth. They grew up a culture, families...this is until the Nords came back from the war and slaugthered them.  This information comes from the book called "The Bear of Markarth". ;)

• 71 posts
    August 31, 2015 9:54 AM EDT

I think they're bad, and I'll try to explain my rationale behind this. Reachman were persecuted for ruling over their own lands, basically, and as such they were unrightfully labelled criminals in their own hold. But their response goes to prove, to me anyways, that they are bad people. They take up the label, and embrace it, becoming murderers and bandits quite willingly. They don't enact organized attacks on their oppressors, they rather kill indiscriminately throughout the reach. The way the Nords took away their home was wrong, and while I always usually root for the underdog, the Reachman simply aren't good people. While the Nords weren't justified in stripping the Reachman's claim to the Reach, the Forsworn themselves have proven to me that they weren't justified in ruling over anything in the first place. They quite literally are a group of killers and thieves who justify their heinous actions through the semblance of resistance, or coup.  

• 641 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:02 AM EDT

You are taking the whole of the Reachmen and painting them as Forsworn. 

• 649 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:13 AM EDT

It is hard to distinguish those two because the Reachman of Skyrim became the Forsworn. There might be still some Reachmen in Western Reach in High Rock (should be on the other side of mountains).

You really have to look at them as two different groups. Forsworn are rebels and terrorists, but Reachmen on the other hand are not that different from Tribal Orcs.

• 641 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:19 AM EDT

Well there are Reachmen that live in Markarth in the Warrens and elsewhere.

• 649 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:27 AM EDT

True. And are they murdering innocent people on the roads?

• 641 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:29 AM EDT

Well not that we know of, but you never can tell what they are getting up to when the sun goes down.

• August 31, 2015 10:44 AM EDT

That's a non-argument. You can't consider someone a criminal just because you can't prove they're NOT committing crimes when no-one is looking. That's literally presuming guilt until proven innocent, and with no evidence to support your accusation.

• 649 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:51 AM EDT

I think that while the Aaron named this discussion "Reachmen" he really meant Forsworn. And you can´t really look at Forsworn as fine examples of their...race?tribe? Not sure here.

I have nothing against Reachmen. They seem to me just alright. Not that different from tribal Orcs, but what we´re really discussing here is radical group of Reachmen murdering everyone in sight.

• 641 posts
    August 31, 2015 11:06 AM EDT

Well I don't consider them criminals as you can see from my other comments. I'm just saying I don't know.

• 168 posts
    August 31, 2015 11:19 AM EDT

The Nords are the reason of what the Reachmen are today. The Nords stole their lands twice and as if it wasn't enough, the Silver-Bloods forced them to do their bidding. And although I sympathize with the Reachmen, it doesn't mean I will spare their lives every time they try to kill me.

• 1217 posts
    August 31, 2015 11:37 AM EDT
    If I travel to the Reach fresh out of Helgen, having done nothing, they will try to murder me. Does that count?
    • 71 posts
    August 31, 2015 12:58 PM EDT

For clarification, I just assumed that this question pertained to the Forsworn. So my comments are about them, and not meant to be representative of all Bretons that happen to be native to the Reach.

• August 31, 2015 3:14 PM EDT
    I'm not talking about the Forsworn. I'm talking about the Reachman.