Forums » The Lounge

Things that bloggers do that annoy you?

• 739 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:42 PM EDT

Ha! Auto play music on builds is definitely one of the popular turn offs...

It isn't very common these days

• 739 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:44 PM EDT

Yeah, I've never understood that, especially when a lot of the lore is open to interpretation... 

• 404 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:47 PM EDT

reminds me of the 'Halo-kiddies' of Mocpages

• 95 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:48 PM EDT

Auto play music can work only if its short and fits the build. If your orc warrior has Jay-Z playing, goodbye likes.

• 700 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:04 PM EDT

Just adding the music as an optional "press play for music" is the best way to go.  There's no way to justify auto play unless it's the Paladin of Molag Bal where the point is to do everything wrong.  

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:09 PM EDT
    Hard to say. In the past I've found self-promotion annoying, but I know there are a lot of times when at quite appropriate. The line is very fine, though, and I grind my teeth when people cross it. I haven't seen any examples of it in a long time, though.
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:17 PM EDT

Oh and on a side note you should really check out my Black Phantom build. It's really sick and utilizes a bunch of cool skills. It also is the best assassin on the site, just sayin'.

Does that cross the line?

• 29 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:19 PM EDT
    Eep!
    • 1483 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:20 PM EDT

Autoplay.

I have no problems with other things mentioned here  I'm a little irked with people who don't read the rules before posting builds but as I'm not a CB host, I have the luxury to simply close the tab and forget about it 

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:29 PM EDT
    *Removes Like* >:D
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:36 PM EDT

Noooooooooo.
    I think you're jealous, just sayin'.
    Without further ado, check out my build people.
    Too bad I can't put auto play music in this comment.

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:39 PM EDT
    Hahahahaha. Technically, I'm pretty sure you can. Please don't. XD
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:46 PM EDT

• 1441 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:55 PM EDT
    Here, here Pinkie!
    • 1441 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:59 PM EDT
    Well, I e done it. And the creator wanted it to be a program the whole family could enjoy, then Hasbro saw a money making opportunity. Also, the later seasons deal with some serious things, like self hatred and brainwashing, while still keeping it g.
    • 149 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:35 PM EDT

Can we technically call people "bloggers" anymore? Because, you know... this is The Tamriel Vault.

I guess a thing that bothers me are people who don't take the time to read rules before posting stuff. They make zero effort to try and figure how things work around here and they expect smooth sailing. I don't mind it when people get confused or make mistakes, because at least then they're trying! But then there are just those folks who don't have a clue... 

I'm noticing that self-promotion gets a lot of hate here. I tend to self promote my own stuff a lot... Makes me more than a little self-conscious.

I've never taken offense to self promotion, as long as it's done in a reasonable and interesting way. Most times I just ignore it, but I don't automatically assume the person is doing it for the sake of their hubris.

To me it all depends on tact. :P

• 773 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:38 PM EDT

'Things Vaulters do that annoy you'?

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:38 PM EDT
    Heh, "Things Vaulters do that are annoying."
    • 457 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:33 PM EDT

And loads crossbow >;D

• 485 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:38 PM EDT

Its really only a taboo within the CB group. Everywhere else its almost encouraged. 

Builds are highly reliant on front page appearances to gain attention, likes, and comments. So someone shamelessly bumping their build or trying to divert a completely non related discussion into talking about their build will come across as very annoying. 

• 485 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:40 PM EDT

It annoys me sometimes to have to spend precious time explaining the group rules to someone who clearly couldnt be bothered to read them in the first place. 

• 485 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:41 PM EDT

The best assassin on the site? Did the infiltrator get deleted?

• 1467 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:42 PM EDT

Yes time to rant about my number one favorite subject. People posting in the Forums.

Now as a disclaimer let's just say that I have only a very tiny problem with newcomers posting a status or a question as a discussion. You know, the type that would belong in the ever useful and handy Site Help Thread. I say fair enough at that... I can get that the Forums are a tad hard to navigate unless you spend a good 10 minutes to figure it out (or ask a question in the Site Help Thread #ShamelessPlug). 

A step above that is the consistent amount of Lore Questions the Forums end up with and this is kind of the start of a long road to inciting rage in me. I can kind of get questions about the Site Works and while I tend to not be fond with them I can at least say that the Forums is a decent place for them. But the Lore Group isn't hidden, it's pretty big (if you've missed it go read Lore) but we still get fairly regular posts asking either tiny questions that I can answer. Or on a more regular occasion, the type of question I can't read because the grammar and spelling are that poor.

Now let's move on to my number one pet peeve. Sorry hate. I hate this and I would burn the entire Forums with fire if I could, just to get rid of this happening. People posting Character Builds (Or Skyrim Builds. Or just Builds with no prefix) in the Forums... To an extent I can kind of get Lore if you somehow miss the group or the Questions Thread there (without it the group kind of looks like a library.) but Character Building is the biggest part of our site. It's nearly impossible to log into this site and see an Activity Feed with no CB. Now this ties in with people who post crap builds because these build are always crap. You get the usual, I've read a tonne of Character bUilds and wANTED To trY my oWn sort of comments from the original. But I just can't stand this.

But you know what's best of all. What tops even my annoyance  for posts in the Forums that belong in other groups. People who do it twice. I give up at this point, if I've told someone where to post something and they then continue to post similar discussions in the Forums instead of the group I have linked (usually with links to resources and help threads) and then they post in the Forums again... God damn pisses me off.

So yeah. Post things in the forums correctly (Site Help Thread is great for your questions. #ShamelessPlug)

• 1467 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:44 PM EDT

Personally I prefer to say without any more rambling, then I will continue to ramble on through the entire discussion  

• 1467 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:48 PM EDT

I really struggle with self promotion. On one hand I really want to get my stuff out there. I think I've been a member long enough that at least some of my stuff could be validly promoted.. But on the other hand as someone who spends so much time on the Site Featuring Content (Workshop Success Stories, 1/3 of the HGS, Builder Spotlights... #ShamelessPlug?) I really struggle to bring myself to do the same (or even leave a link to my builds). 

So maybe it's time to do a Bryn. We gotta get the Sisters of Order 2.0 up in here (Dragonborn edition).

No but really, I have no problem with people promoting their own work as long as they do it tastefully (Recommendations Thread, Photos, etc.) It's statuses that annoy me. The occasional, check out my build *Link* that pops up.