Forums » General Gaming

Mad Max Game

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 3:34 AM EDT

So just now I have noticed that there is Mad Max game. Or will be more precisely.

And I was wondering what you guys think about it? Do you consider buying it?

I was watching the movie few days ago and...meh. Yeah, good summer blockbuster full of action and Max was finally mad... but could be better.

Anyway, do you compare this to Fallout? My understanding is that Fallout was in some ways inspired by Mad Max and wasteland in that game really looks like wasteland. And it´s wasteland. I mean Max even eats worms from dead body! There isn´t much ammo and the game gives impression that it is centered on pure survival and scavenging resources which seems much realistic than Fallout. Also the symbiosis between Max and his car seems interesting, it really puts emphasis on that to survive the wasteland the vehicle is the only way.

• 288 posts
    August 27, 2015 3:47 AM EDT

The game Borderlands and it's sequels have some inspirations from the original Mad Max series, there's even a boss called "Mad Mel" (a reference to Mel Gibson, who plays the original Mad Max).

Fallout is a different story. The origins of it come from the game Wasteland (1988), which has nothing in common with the Mad Max series. Fallout was created because the creators of Wasteland - Interplay - wanted to make a sequel, however they had lost the rights to the title "Wasteland" and had to invent a new title, therefore a new story.

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 3:52 AM EDT

I remember reading some article how Fallout 3 Leather Armor, Sawed Shotgun and some other stuff was inspired by Mad Max. Also that the DC wasteland took some inspiration from Mad Max but I could be wrong here.

• 288 posts
    August 27, 2015 3:57 AM EDT

It's possible that the recent Fallout titles have adopted some elements of this kind. I simply meant that the creation of Fallout as a title itself had little to do with it.

It's also possible that the original Mad Max series have had a passive influence over the whole "apocalyptic wasteland survival" genre.

I strongly suggest that people watch the original movies with Mel Gibson, though; the recent "reboot movie" was rather crap

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 4:16 AM EDT

I saw the original movies, don´t worry. It was strange to watch young Mel in Mad Max 1. In 2 he looked mostly how I remember him from Patriot and other movies like that. Good movies.

And yeah, I was talking mostly about Fallout 3, not older ones. Raider armors were inspired by Mad Max 2 . Dogmeat was inspired by Mad Max. Even that thing when you get ambushed by a guy with empty sawed-off shotgun is reference to Gyrocaptain from Mad Max 2. Leather Armor is copy of Max´s armor. I could probably find more.

• 1217 posts
    August 27, 2015 12:28 PM EDT

In the sense that Mad Max inspired a lot of concepts in Fallout, yeah, they're comparable. But the worlds are totally different.

As for the Mad Max game, I'm not really considering it. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look my style at all. I'd only be playing it for the story, and for that, I'm willing to just check out Youtube rather than pay $60.

• 133 posts
    August 27, 2015 1:00 PM EDT

I really hope that this game will be good, but there's so many things that can go wrong. I think that even if its good, it'll be a solid, 30 hour game or so. There's only so much

Drive in desert --- Get to Enemy Base --- Kill People --- Get Part for Car --- Repeat

that a person can handle. I do hope It will be decent, though I'm not quite sure.

• 1217 posts
    August 27, 2015 1:49 PM EDT

I think that's part of why I haven't been intrigued by it. It seems kinda repetitive.

• 288 posts
    August 27, 2015 1:56 PM EDT

Games made after movies are usually dumb. The only exception I can think of is Star Wars.

• 1217 posts
    August 27, 2015 1:59 PM EDT

True. Even then, there are collection of Star Wars games that are actually good is owed in part to the sheer quantity of them, and some of those don't even use the movies. Like the newest installment we're getting, Battlefront....so far I'm underwhelmed.

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 2:30 PM EDT

I wanted to oppose you, but heck, I can´t even think of any game made after movie. Maybe Lord of the Rings:Return of the King. I actually enjoyed that game with my pal on PS2

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 2:31 PM EDT

Well, Battlefront will be using lot´s of locations and battles from movies, but that doesn´t really count right?

• 1217 posts
    August 27, 2015 3:45 PM EDT

I'd say it counts as based more directly on the movies, but an underwhelming one, like Overhate said.

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 3:55 PM EDT

Well, what can one expect from a game that´s based on Battlefield more or less? To be honest, I´ve never enjoyed these types of games.

• 189 posts
    August 27, 2015 4:04 PM EDT

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this game. It's developed by Avalanche Studios, who are very good and very passionate about game design, and their propriety engine is one of the best around. From the gameplay demos they've shown, it looks interesting enough, and they've done a ice job of capturing the world atmosphere/aesthetic. My biggest concern is how much oversight WB had in the development process, and whether that may have stymied some of Avalanche's creativity. But WB seems to be pretty good about having a hands-off approach to their game publishing, so I'm hopeful Mad Max will turn out well.

Also, for the record, this game has been in development for a while now, and was not made as a knee-jerk reaction to the new movie. Its story is totally unrelated to the movie, and other than Max, there are no characters in the game that were also in the movie, or vice versa.

• 1217 posts
    August 27, 2015 4:06 PM EDT

An extremely stripped down Battlefield. That at least offers weapon customization, full axis control of aircraft, squad play, and being able to use available vehicles at any time.

• 288 posts
    August 27, 2015 4:11 PM EDT

Lord of the Rings is originally a novel, not a movie

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 4:34 PM EDT

But the game is mostly done from movie.

• 649 posts
    August 27, 2015 4:35 PM EDT

Some positive opinion. Finally. So you´re planning to buy it, Teccam?

• 641 posts
    August 27, 2015 5:20 PM EDT

This game isn't based after the movie, it's separate in the same way Arkham was separate from the Dark Knight movies.

• 1217 posts
    August 27, 2015 5:31 PM EDT

True.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    August 27, 2015 11:56 PM EDT

I was kinda thinking about buying it. Freeroam stuff usually appeals to me. I've seen the first 3 movies, not the new one though. Those movies are weird as hell, but entertaining. I haven't seen gameplay or read much about the game though.

• 288 posts
    August 28, 2015 2:42 AM EDT

Could be, but the lore is set up by the book (books, actually, because there are multiple) so you could always draw from there when hit with a creative deadend.

• 288 posts
    August 28, 2015 2:44 AM EDT

There's a difference. Batman is a comic character, established in comic books ages before the Dark Knight movies. Mad Max so far is only a movie character.

• 649 posts
    August 28, 2015 3:05 AM EDT

True. I guess LotR wasn´t the best example, but it is actually only game I´m able to name. I think I haven´t played a single game after movie if I can´t name a one. I usually remember what I played...