Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4: Destructible Environments, Armor, and Items!

• 739 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:17 PM EDT

Apoqsi's new video covers something that I'd personally failed to notice during the gameplay of Fallout 4 that we've seen already!

Destructible Environments! 

This is something that fans of both ES and Fallout franchises have wanted for a long time! Being able to blast a wall open with a mini-nuke is of course a huge turn-on!

My guessing is that all this has been made possible by the fact that loading screens have been reduced in FO4 and for many buildings removed completely. Because the game no longer see's a building as two separate cells (Interior/Exterior) its going to be possible to blast certain surfaces clear of the building....

....I have to wonder what terrors this will mean for my lovingly crafted settlement! My OCD is already shifting uncomfortably...

Apoqsi also poses some interesting questions on the destructible armor that we've all witnessed and how this is going to tie in with the durability/repair system that we are all still uncertain about in Fallout 4...

Be sure to check out his channel and let's hope that he reads this and gives us a shout-out soon! 

• 490 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:27 PM EDT

This is why I intend to be a loner and solo adventurer with little to no settlements. I wouldn't be able to handle upkeep and/or coming back to a settlement that was turned into a pile of rubble and blood.

• 1217 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:32 PM EDT

I'm not counting on a whole lot of destructibility still. I can see it being focused in places like what's shown in the trailer; clearly individual panels coming off in whole pieces, or maybe sheet metal walls collapsing. But some is better than none (;D Phil).

• 113 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:36 PM EDT

Dudes, just imagine a Behemoth smashing through a building to get to you! 

No more running in doors to get away from the titans. 

• 1441 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:38 PM EDT

True, there needs to be some limit, like Battlefield style destructble, and not Red Faction Guerilla destructible. Though, I would like to see some destructibility in settlements I build and in places I want to blow up. 

I want to be able to blast open doors, like a SWAT team putting a breaching charge on a door

• 404 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:40 PM EDT

with C4?

I remember there is a mod that makes the C4 in NV realistic.

• 1441 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:42 PM EDT

Yeah, because a character of mine is basically a SWAT officer, Wasreland style. I want to be able to knock down raiders with a breached wall or door. 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:44 PM EDT

Hehe, Red Faction style would be hilarious, especially with mini nukes. Quite unlikely though. Maybe settlement destruction will be a Hardcore only option or something.

• 113 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:45 PM EDT

Dude, Fallout with the RF destruction engine would be the tits yo! 

• 224 posts
    August 30, 2015 9:06 PM EDT

Destructible armor too!!, nice video!

• 77 posts
    August 31, 2015 2:08 AM EDT

Interesting. Honestly, I hope the building damage respawns. That would be paradoxical, but it would also be an good place to compromise story for gameplay (a delicate line that Bethesda has always walked well, IMO.) As much as that is the setting of Fallout, I don't want to go around in a world of literal rubble.

• 739 posts
    August 31, 2015 6:18 AM EDT

I don't think it's going to be possible to completely level a building, you can see in the video that certain panels can be blasted clear but the general integrity of the building remains. I imagine zones will re-set after a few days...