Forums » Elder Scrolls

Hell in the Elder Scrolls?

• August 25, 2015 5:35 PM EDT
    Hi there! I'm Bjorn the Vampire and I would like to ask you a question that I have been debating with myself for like an hour...
    Does "Hell" exist in the Elder Scrolls Universe?
    The good and honorable people go to Sovngarde, the Daedra worshippers go to the Daedra's plane of Oblivion, but where do bad non-worshippers people go?
    • 66 posts
    August 25, 2015 5:45 PM EDT

No. Not really. There are Daedric Planes where you don't want to be after death, though.

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 5:56 PM EDT
    Oof. Lore wise, this is over my head. But I can speculate all day. The Soul Cairn is pretty hellish. Though I've never heard of secularism being punished. Maybe just acting against a god. If the Soul Cairn is hell, then people are sent there by other people. Makes for an interesting narrative on enchanting and how people treat one another.
  • August 25, 2015 6:00 PM EDT
    Well...Thats a shame, what about the Void though?
    Now that I'm actually thinking of it, it may be what I'm looking for...thanks for the quick response.
  • August 25, 2015 6:08 PM EDT
    The Soul Cairn is for the "captured souls", the ones trapped inside soul gems.
    What does actually exist in the Void?
    Sithis?
    Sithis is related to death, he rules over the Void (correct me if I'm wrong) so the Void might be for those who don't have a purpose...Lost Souls i guess?
    • 66 posts
    August 25, 2015 7:22 PM EDT

Sithis is the void.

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 7:23 PM EDT
    The Void isn't an objective hell, though. Sithis worshippers want to go there upon death, after all. It's their respective heaven, their Sovngarde, so to speak. It's really close, but if there is a hell, I think it should be a place that no one wants to go. It should be objectively bad.

Then we have to question what qualifies a person for hell. Is secularism enough? Or are there base moral codes that everyone has to follow? A religious person would have to follow those plus whatever codes their god(s) have prescribed.

I don't know if there is a hell, but I'd like to make one. Sounds fun. Maybe not canon, but fun. I brought up more questions than I answered, but I think the nature of your inquiry almost certainly leads to that.
    • 179 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:07 AM EDT

The Deadlands (Dagon's realm of Oblivion) look pretty hellish to me.

• 649 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:41 AM EDT

It actually isn´t that easy, especially with Sovngarde.

The truth is that when a soul dies, it goes to Dreamsleeve (which is some sort of soul bank) and is again reincanated into another life. Sovngarde seems like an exception here.

But if you mean hell as some plane where you really wouldn´t want to end up after death or in life, than Dagon´s  Deadlands or Vaermina´s Quegmire are certainly the right (or wrong) places.

• August 26, 2015 10:43 AM EDT
    The Skaal believe in the "All-Maker", they say that when a being dies, it's soul is reincarnated into another being to serve another purpose.
    The Nordic people believe in Sovngarde, where all honorable souls go to when their bodies die.
    I guess that the other people from other provinces just go to Dreamsleeve to be later reincarnated.
    So Nirn doesn't have hell.Well, if that is the case,then it sounds like a cool place to live in :P
    Thanks to all that answered so far :)