Forums » Elder Scrolls

What's with the skulls?

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:12 AM EDT

What is with the fascination that the people of Skyrim seem to have with Skulls?  Uncle Jorck's skull should not be decorating the shelf next to your mountain flower collection!  It seems odd to me that people would just have a skull.  Right?  That's odd!  Death seems sacred enough to any given person in Skyrim who isn't a necromancer or Crotch Guzzler.  I'm just looking for any insight into this confusing practice.  

• 411 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:16 AM EDT

Legion skulls are everyday things in life i keep the skull of my great great great great grandmother right on top of the fireplace.

• 1217 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:20 AM EDT

I dunno. I love skulls. Macabre and badass and intimidating and poetic. I ever show you my skull collection? I'm pretty sure most of the Vault has seen it.

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:24 AM EDT

I think I'm in the minority then because I have not seen it.  Unless your skull collection is all 13+ skull profiles pictures you used for all that time.  

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:26 AM EDT

Dude.  C'mon.  At least put her in a silk-lined bowl. 

• 1217 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:32 AM EDT

Aye, them's the ones.

• 113 posts
    August 25, 2015 2:01 AM EDT

I have a strange fascination with skulls. Some times I tell my friends they have pretty skulls. 

• 694 posts
    August 25, 2015 7:10 AM EDT

Because why not hundreds of skulls?  At the risk of being the person who responds seriously to an intentionally somewhat silly thread, I can only suggest that it's sort of a dark time in Skyrim with the on-going civil war and dragons swooping down left and right. So why not use them to decorate? I mean really, just go all out with it.

Also I know some people like to use them as trophies. I think Naeg mentioned when he was around that he liked to keep a collection of them. That actually gives me an idea for another thread.

• 145 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:29 AM EDT
    If I owned a skull, I have no idea what I would do with it! Or why I would have the desire to own a skull in the first place!
  • T
    • 32 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:32 AM EDT

Googled a bit and found that vikings sometimes preserved the skulls of important people. 

They made small altars and displayed the skull on them, so they could show their kids what their great-grandfather looked like after his face was mauled of by a bear or something. 

Still doesn't explain why Skyrim's inhabitants keep skulls in their wardrobes, on desks, drawers, between their flowers in the garden, on the ground, or even in kettles.

• 404 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:35 AM EDT
    I think I kept the Ancient Traveler's Skull once before.
    • 145 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:36 AM EDT
    Nothing like seeing ol' Grandpa Jimmy with his face ripped off!
    • 649 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:40 AM EDT

Well, you see it only on photos here, but I was actually there. Both in Sedlec Ossuary that is 1 hour by car from where I live and in Brno Ossuary which is only few minutes from my home.

One of the most depressive places I´ve ever visited. When you start thinking how many people actually had to die to put this together...really creepy.

• 694 posts
    August 25, 2015 10:49 AM EDT

Oh yeah. It's super creepy for sure. The first time I saw this (online!) I was completely astounded. I can't even imagine how intense it must be in person.

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:37 AM EDT

This...might not be far off when you consider that skulls have value.  There is a market out there for skulls, doesn't matter whose skulls, for some angsty Nord teen to make his art with.  His Papa wants him to pick up an axe and destroy but little Advar wants to use his hands to create.  

• 694 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:45 AM EDT

Gods, I can see the Nord teen angst so clearly in my mind.

"Father, you just don't understand my ART."

• 700 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:49 AM EDT

I bet he's the kid that designs the costumes of the Stormcloak officers!  Well he calls them costumes anyway.  His father wanted to make him useful somehow, so he brought him bear pelts, leather, and bits of iron to sew the costumes.  I don't think he expected to end up wearing a bear on his head.  But I don't know if he's complaining...it might actually be a happy ending here.  

• T
    • 32 posts
    August 26, 2015 1:35 PM EDT

btw, the reason you see all those carcasses without skulls? Because the forsworn use them as helmets.