Forums » Elder Scrolls

How do you come up with your builds?

• 16 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:19 PM EDT
    Everyone enjoys builds. Specially when they are top notch and are based on very interesting concepts. But when we look at an awesome build, our first thought is how its builder came up with it.

I basically just write up the first word that comes to my mind, a concept, and then I go to a Wiki to find the items I need for the build, based around that concept.

So, this one is for builders...How do you come up with your builds? Do you get inspired by artwork? Do you search for lore and try to "mold" out a build around it?
    Tell us :)
    • 739 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:37 PM EDT

Depends how you want to create your character...

You could go looking through character art and find an amazing image to build around and it could do really well in CB. It's a solid way to build actually because it captures peoples imaginations...

Over time I moved more towards mechanics and what people hadn't tried before, so I'd try and find an interesting combination of skills or latch on to a specific mechanic and then 'build around' the  mechanic... This approach served me the best overall...

• 113 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:39 PM EDT

I just make a cool looking character and hope to god that he doesn't die until I finish it. 

• 16 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:42 PM EDT
    That's actually something I didn't think of before. It makes sense when the purpose of a build is to rejuvenate a person's interest in the game. Therefore, enticing us to try something we didn't try before... Very nice ;)
    • 16 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:55 PM EDT
    I have a problem with skyrim, actually, it's character creation. Instead of being like molding out your character's face, you are given a fairly good amount of "assets" to fit in it. Creating limited combinations of facial features which can give you a fair bit of problems for someone who creates new characters frequently...they all start to look the same. The number of combinations are lowering each time you create a new character. After you're done with said character, the next one you'll do will not have the same hair or facial hair the previous one had, to make it look a bit different. Rending your choices even lower. It's complicated...
    • 485 posts
    August 24, 2015 6:58 PM EDT
    I look into what mechanics I can combine for a very synergistic build. Often times this combination of mechanics leads to something few have tried together. When I first joined the site I hung out in tips and tricks gathering knowledge. I was amazed by what these guys knew.

I know many expert builders will tell you not to stress too much about adding special moves to a build, but special moves are among the first things I come up with when n approach a new project. But I like to have some integral interplay between my special moves so move x is often an integral piece of move y and z. I feel if I can come up with 4 to 6 of such moves in the build I have a character with a fair among of depth to work with.

From there the art, the roleplay and everything else will revolve around justifying those techniques. It's an ass backwards approach to building but it's worked so well for me since build 1.
    • 16 posts
    August 24, 2015 7:02 PM EDT
    I agree it's an odd approach to character building but hey, if it has worked out for you, then it's actually one of the most effective ways to do it ;)
    • 457 posts
    August 24, 2015 9:12 PM EDT
    Usually a concept gets me started. It could be something as simple as me realizing, "Hey! I've never really tried an unarmed build before," or stumbling across a nugget of lore that tickles my fancy.

One way or the other, a new build almost always involves tackling something that's new to me... skills, lore, playstyle, or some sort of challenge (like finally getting all of those freaking Unusual Gems xD). Anything that gets me playing (or thinking about) Skyrim differently becomes grist for the build mill.
    • 485 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:54 PM EDT
    I will say I've never been too big a lore guy. Lord is nice to tack on after figuring out the concept and mechanics, but I've rarely found myself basing a build specifically on lore.
    • 1483 posts
    August 25, 2015 1:25 PM EDT

First I have to come to a realization that I want to commit enough time and effort to make a build-worthy character.

Then I think of a playstyle I want to explore. Then I think of how I can make the playstyle unique and look into gameplay tips and lore. 

When I come up with something, I try to weave it all together. It rarely does. I then go with adding/removing parts, swapping them around etc.

In the end I'm left with a solid concept of a character that I play through the fitting questlines with. I very rarely deviate from the initial plan, it is usually very well-established and tested so it certainly works.

All this makes it pretty much impossible for me to come up with many builds. I spent about a year perfecting my first and only one so far which, however, got to Legendary and in the Hall of Fame.  Currently working on the second one 

• 16 posts
    August 25, 2015 1:45 PM EDT

It's amazing...your very first build got up to the Legendary rank and was conducted to the Hall of Fame. It was well deserved seeing as you spent a year perfecting it. I wish you good luck on your current build, may it reach the same or higher prestige as your first

• 457 posts
    August 25, 2015 2:57 PM EDT

Yeah, certain builders have their niche (be it mechanics, roleplay, lore or what have you), so it's definitely not everybody's cup of tea, but it certainly does inspire a few people. Henson and Paul England readily to mind as builders who seem to use lore as a foundation for many of their builds... and to great effect.

The first two event builds I participated in were all about lore: Resurrection and Factions... a LOT of really cool builds came out of those events. In fact, I seem to recall a particularly awesome build of vampire ninjas based entirely on the Berne Clan ;D

• 485 posts
    August 25, 2015 3:21 PM EDT
    That faction worked out so well for me since the lore surrounding them was vague enough for me to do pretty much anything I wanted.