Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Sky at Night

• 1595 posts
    August 21, 2015 12:51 AM EDT

I understand this is probably subjective but it seems to me that the nighttime sky in TES V Skyrim along with its dawn and dusk sequence is actually a bit worse looking than in it's predecessor Oblivion when just about everything else is leaps and bounds ahead. When I watch the sun rise or fall in Skyrim there appears to be concentric rings around the horizon as if my Xbox can't handle an evenly shifting shade or gradient. In contrast TES IV had some absolutely amazing dawn and dusk sequences without that ringed effect.

Not only that but the stars seemed much more vibrant in Oblivion and  I'm not even talking about the Shivering Isles which the night sky is still breathtaking in its beauty even to this day. Don't get me wrong, TES V's aurora is stunning but when it's not there the sky seems ever so slightly muted.

So why is it that in just about every other audio and visual area Skyrim is miles ahead but still can't outdo Oblivion's night sky? Has it got something to do with the different colour pallets used by each game? Or is it a technical thing, about processing power and the like? Or is it just me talking shit again?

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    August 21, 2015 12:54 AM EDT

I don't think I've ever really noticed that, or compared the two games. I don't spend a lot of time looking up I guess. Maybe Skyrim is too busy trying to handle the Aurora Borealis thingy it's got going on.

• 1595 posts
    August 21, 2015 4:03 AM EDT

I might just be me. I also think TES IV handled rain better. Standing outside Leyawiin and watching the drops splash into the pond is still pretty awesome.

• 77 posts
    August 22, 2015 4:27 AM EDT

It might be a climate thing. Have you ever lived in the Pacific Northwest? Half of the year under an overcast sky makes Skyrim look downright vibrant.

• 1595 posts
    August 22, 2015 4:38 AM EDT

No but I do live in Britain. Drizzle is the most used word here.

• 1483 posts
    August 22, 2015 4:42 AM EDT

Blame your Xbox  Gradients look fine to me  But I can see some sacrifices being made for improvements in other parts of the game 

• 1595 posts
    August 22, 2015 5:06 AM EDT

I had a feeling it was a technical thing. Parts of TES IV look total shite but the sunrise/sunset isn't one of them. I can imagine that my 360 struggles to process the beauty of Skyrim's evenings because everything else is still pretty

• 77 posts
    August 22, 2015 9:26 PM EDT

Yeah, I suppose that's basically the same thing. Either way, I really loved Skyrim's day/night cycle and lighting. Sure, the draw distance could always be a bit better or the lighting a bit greater, but it is pretty technically impressive as a 360 game already. In terms of weather it really can't be understated how much all of the mist and fog did to develop the world. Areas like all of the mountains, Hjalmarch, and East... march, just wouldn't be the same without those effects.

• 1595 posts
    August 23, 2015 12:10 AM EDT

You're right, the mist and fog on mountain slopes blows me away by how how good it looks. Skyrim is still a very good looking game.