Forums » The Lounge

How do people around you react to your TES/Fallout addiction?

• 485 posts
    August 15, 2015 2:39 PM EDT

If you're like me you spend quite a lot of time and energy playing TES/Fallout games, as well as producing content related to these games to share with the Vault. So how do people around you react to all that? For me, my wife wonders how I can invest so much time into a 4 year old game. I also had an interesting time explaining the concept of the Lusty Argonian Maid to her when she caught a glimps of what i was drawing one day. I'll never forget the simultaneous awkwardness and hilarity of the moment when she asked, "Why does that crocodile have panties?" 

• 1217 posts
    August 15, 2015 2:42 PM EDT
    I haven't really binged or anything since getting married. My wife's pretty accommodating, though. She doesn't care for Fallout, but she has her own character in Skyrim character.
    • 6 posts
    August 15, 2015 2:46 PM EDT

Some friends I play with used to make fun of me for having +500 hours in Skyrim and still playing like the very first time. I tried to explain them the rewardly feeling of roleplaying but many think I'm sick taking the game to such levels. 

I'm also well-know for introducing Elder Scrolls games (especially Skyrim) to many of my friends who haven't played yet.  

• 404 posts
    August 15, 2015 3:00 PM EDT

that's cool man.

• 5 posts
    August 15, 2015 4:15 PM EDT

My girlfriend is pretty cool with my Fallout binges, I usually just get a "Making another one again" and a laugh. She doesn't play them but I did manage to get her to play Diablo 3 with me for a few hours though :P lol.

• 133 posts
    August 15, 2015 4:49 PM EDT
    The same way that muggles react when I tell them I'm a wizard. :D
    • 98 posts
    August 15, 2015 7:51 PM EDT

I've only truly devoted to Skyrim so far and most of my friends and cousins have either played the game and enjoyed it greatly, or they just don't know the game as they are more casual gamers. So, I never get something like ''Dude, Skyrim freakin suxx!!!111!!'' from anyone. However, if the Skyrim topic ever comes out I try to keep my dedication and devotion hidden. My 14 year old cousin especially has played the game a lot, having around 4-5 playthroughs, so I've tried explaining builds and roleplaying to him, however he doesn't seem to quite dig or even understand the idea, thus being very awkward and me dropping the conversaton most of the times. But like I said most of the times people don't know about it... it's kinda like my fondness of professional wrestling, I try not to talk too much about it.

• 1467 posts
    August 17, 2015 2:20 AM EDT

I don't mention it. Not that I have an addiction. 

• 77 posts
    August 17, 2015 2:19 PM EDT

Committed yes, addicted? Not quite yet, but Mr C (hubby) is still trying to work out why I am on character number 3 (and contemplating a 4th), and I'm now producing artwork (though he's enjoying seeing what I turn out). I try to manage my playing hours against creating more artwork and r/l jobs that have to be done. Sharing a TV helps me do this, as Mr C has now moved over to his PS4 (and works from home sometimes), which means that although I now have sole custody of the PS3 for Skyrim, I'm limited on access.

For most people I avoid talking about it, my family certainly doesn't get why I'm still playing any video games since I left school (35+ now!), either "should have grown out of it" or "you should be out doing this or that". Only a few friends are fellow gamers, or are understanding girlfriends of guys who are 20 something's and still enjoy it.

• 485 posts
    August 17, 2015 2:53 PM EDT
    Well the way I see it life is too short not to occupy yourself with what you enjoy, even if it something juvenile from someone else's perspective.
    • 485 posts
    August 17, 2015 2:58 PM EDT
    I tried to get my wife to play skyrim. She put the game down as soon as she encountered her first pack of frost bite spiders :D
    • 77 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:03 PM EDT

It's actually a great stress reliever, wander through the sunlit paths of The Rift, fallen leaves crunching underfoot, watch the lakes sparkling as the sun goes down...

And the occasional bear or sabre cat helps as well on particularly bad days in the office 

Too many people become adults and stop doing the things they loved as children, I think the world would be slightly more chilled if that wasn't so.

• 1217 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:04 PM EDT

Heh, those are my wife's most hated enemy, too. But that just gives her a special satisfaction when she sets them on fire (inasmuch as she manages it; her aim is terrible XD).

• 92 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:06 PM EDT

My wife is very patient with my obsession with all things related to TES. As long as I don't neglect (too much) household stuff and time with her, she's usually good with it. Occaisionally, I get the "a new character already?" question. She laughs when I try to explain that I already hit level 40 on my previous build and I don't think I have the motivation to continue with him/her.

My brother, on the other hand, always give me a hard time when he comes over and sees me play. "How can you play this game so much? You know it's been out for 4 years, right?" Despite me playing D&D and other RPGs as a kid, he's never played a single RPG in his life!!! He doesn't get the concept of character building and playing the same quests but in different ways. I just tell him that he should stick to chucking bananas on Mario Kart. lol

• 92 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:09 PM EDT

My wife never played many video games as a kid. When I helped her play Skyrim, I couldn't get her through Helgen - she kept running into walls! It was the funniest thing I ever saw. 

• 1217 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:13 PM EDT

Yeah, I didn't realize how accustomed we are to manipulating the two sticks for directions, etc. until I was showing her how to play.

• 1217 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

I'm always confused by people who mention a game's age as if it's some reason not to play it...

• 485 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:22 PM EDT
    Oh the list is quite expansive. She hates draugr, chaurus, and falmer too.
    • 485 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:32 PM EDT
    I see it as something to be proud of. The game is 4 years old and we continue to produce excellent projects based on this game. Not only that we've created a wonderful community that revolves around the game.
    • 288 posts
    August 17, 2015 3:55 PM EDT

I still play some of my favourite games from the 90's.

• 1217 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:01 PM EDT

Right on. Me, too. Mostly N64 games, but StarCraft has also never gotten old for me.

• 485 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:06 PM EDT
    I still replay a lot of classic RPGs
    • 92 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:06 PM EDT

Every once and a while, I fire up my copy of StarCraft. Love that game!

• 1595 posts
    August 17, 2015 7:42 PM EDT

"Why does that crocodile have panties?"

• 77 posts
    August 17, 2015 7:49 PM EDT
    Once in awhile I get questioned on how I can waste so much time playing video games. I respond with asking how much time they spend watching baseball, football etc. it's funny how some people can easily watch tv for six plus hours and then criticize you for playing a game for that long. Please note that I have nothing against football or baseball it's just the specific example I used in one instance with a particularly condescending individual.