Forums » Elder Scrolls

Playtesting help

• 29 posts
    August 13, 2015 1:30 PM EDT
    Feel free to move if this is the wrong place.

I've entered the character building contest and have sketched out a rough outline and started filling in the details. I'm about to start playtesting and I have NEVER made a character for anything but my own pleasure before.

What I'm asking is what I should look out for when running thru the build in game, and if there's any obvious pitfalls to avoid?

Sorry for the ignorance but I can't think of a better group of people to guide me thru this.
    • 485 posts
    August 13, 2015 1:59 PM EDT
    A lot of what goes into making a build for your pleasure are the same things that apply when making a build for the group. If it's not enjoyable to you it's not going to be enjoyable to anyone else.

Try reading through other builds. Pay special attention to mythic, legendary, and Hamm of fame builds. Pay special attention to how the author sells his build. His enthusiasm is a reflection of how much fun he had with this build he's sharing.

Also read through builds to see which roleplay and gameplay mechanics have been done to death. In order for your build to stand out it will need to differentiate itself from the rest of the pack.
    • 29 posts
    August 13, 2015 2:41 PM EDT

Cheers! Some of them are so complex and well designed that it's kind of intimidating. Nevertheless I'm gonna give it a crack and use my rp(ness) to hopefully personalise the build and make it stand out. There are so many builds that have been done I have worried about coming off as a plagiarist but I think I've managed to come up with something unique. Whether it's as fun to play is the next step.

Thanks for advice.

• 485 posts
    August 13, 2015 3:06 PM EDT
    Roleplay is a good way to make a build stand out. Some of the best builds in the group have absolutely nothing new as far as gameplay, but make it up with clever, imaginative and believable Roleplay.