Forums » Elder Scrolls

Standing Stones or Birthsigns?

• 207 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:17 PM EDT

What do you thing is better/cooler/more immersive?

While the only TES game i really played was skyrim, i think i would like Birthsigns more. It doesnt only feel more meaningful, it also allows your character to use the birthsigns power sooner. Because in unmoded skyrim you have to go trough all of skyrim for your rp birthsign and thats just immersion breaking.

What do you prefer? And Why?

• 558 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:20 PM EDT

Birthsign because lorewise it makes the most sense (I think).

• August 10, 2015 6:23 PM EDT

I prefer Birthsigns too. Although I did enjoy manipulating the Standing Stones, like the Obsidian Sentinel's Advanced Atronach.

• 207 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:28 PM EDT

Maybe the Standing Stones are a metaphor for the LDB to be able of choosing his one destiny...

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    August 10, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

This.

• 1595 posts
    August 11, 2015 2:27 AM EDT

Agreed. That said, I preferred the Birthsign system and how it forced locked-in builds of TES IV. Or I that just rose tinted specs?

• 558 posts
    August 11, 2015 2:56 AM EDT

Nah, I don't really like the older games that much, but the Birthsign system is way more unique and had more impact on your character (imo).

• 130 posts
    August 11, 2015 5:13 AM EDT

Birthsigns are more lore friendly and just make sense.

• 6 posts
    August 11, 2015 5:33 AM EDT
    RP-talking I really prefer birthsigns. Firstly because everybody has one and secondly I love randomized characters so, just like in real life you do not choose when you born, unlike standing stones which you choose what suits you best at the moment.
    • 6 posts
    August 11, 2015 5:59 AM EDT
    That's how I roleplay Aetherial Crown xD The jewel in the crown can be carved into any "sky rune" (standing stones).
    • 207 posts
    August 11, 2015 7:35 AM EDT

Dont think it are just rose tinted specs. As i said skyrim is the only one i really played and thus my favorite. But the Birthsigns, among other things, are something i really want to see again in tes vi.

• 28 posts
    August 11, 2015 2:33 PM EDT

Well, I prefer mix of two I found in skyrim overhaul Requiem, stones are splited into 4 groups: mage, thief, warrior, serpant. Then you choose your group, your stuck with it, on the bright side, yeah, undead army.

• 207 posts
    August 11, 2015 2:58 PM EDT

Does it also affect the aetherial crown? Can you only choose another standing stone in your group?

• 28 posts
    August 12, 2015 2:38 AM EDT

I have yet to try, but I think yes, but for me this wouldn't be much of the problem, combination of atronoch stone and ritual stone should be really powerful.

• 28 posts
    August 13, 2015 5:44 AM EDT

I saw how everyone talks about lore, but all lore is gone then we talk about khajit, there are 21 kind of them, all different, based on moons. We play as only one of this kind and if we pick different birth sigh all lore friendlyness is gone.

• 641 posts
    August 13, 2015 6:02 AM EDT

Star-Signs don't correspond with the phases of the moon

• 28 posts
    August 13, 2015 6:03 AM EDT

Bit they correspondence with time of the year.

• August 18, 2015 9:23 AM EDT

Standing Stones. I can make them immersive by not changing them or limit myself to the guardian and the corresponding charges - if I want to change - because some of the descriptions of the birthsigns are vague anyway.

I also do not like being forced to start a new character to do something as simple as trying another style of play.

• 295 posts
    August 18, 2015 2:11 PM EDT

Haha, yeah, it's not so easy to get the Aetherial crown in Requiem. I'll probably go Lord and Lady if I get the crown, but honestly, I'll probably end up getting the shield, though if the constructs are scaled in the staff, the staff may be the artifact of choice.

I do like that Requiem restricts your choices though. You liking Atronach? 

• 1595 posts
    August 18, 2015 2:49 PM EDT

It could be a CB thing but I find that as soon as I start changing stones and trying out new styles the character I'm playing effectively dies. I lose all immersion and from there on it will remain a testing character used only to experiment with a late-game concept, but a new character will have to be created in order to recapture immersion.

• 77 posts
    August 22, 2015 4:25 AM EDT

I think the standing stones provided more interesting character builds than Oblivion's flat stat changes. The ability to change your spec is also important for a game wherein the modus operandi is freedom. Similarly, the disperse nature of the standing stones was good in a game about exploration.

In the next game they could do some more cool visual effects, though. For instance having the standing stones (or sitting trees or whatever) trigger their corresponding constellation to light up in the night sky when used.

• 207 posts
    August 22, 2015 7:20 AM EDT

Now it gets more interesting, a few people seem to like the standing stones more.