Forums » Fallout

The Fauna of the Wasteland - Why is it as it is?

• 207 posts
    August 9, 2015 2:00 PM EDT

So i was thinking about why does whatever causes mutations in the Fallout universes makes small beings bigger but big beings not. And a member of the vault said this would make an interesting discussion.

So why are the muties in Fallout the way they are. Why (from an evolutionairy standpoint) is it good for scorpions to grow big? Why to Brahmin have two heads? Why can fire ants spit fire?! And why are Cazadores general A**holes?

So why do you think certain animals in the wastelands have evolved a certain way?

• 1217 posts
    August 9, 2015 6:07 PM EDT
    The way I'm picturing, front the standpoint if evolution, is that radiation caused rapid mutation, some helped along by FEV. Of the genetic pools that emerged the larger specimens would naturally be the better fit to survive, and in many cases, destroy the smaller ones. Rinse and repeat a few times and you've got flies and mosquitoes the size of dinner plates, and scorpions as large as minivans.
    • 641 posts
    August 9, 2015 6:11 PM EDT

Also I would presume that an exoskeleton would allow insects to get really fooking bigĀ 

• 1217 posts
    August 9, 2015 6:21 PM EDT
    That's not science I'm well acquainted with, but it is interesting when noting that so many insects have grown more than most mammals/reptiles have.
    • 207 posts
    August 10, 2015 7:17 AM EDT

But wouldn't it be more efficient in the bleak landscape of the wastelands were food is more scarce than it was before to be smaller and thus needing less food?