Forums » Elder Scrolls

Handwritten or typed?

• 700 posts
    August 5, 2015 6:17 PM EDT

When drafting a piece of creative content, do you prefer to write things out by hand with quill and scroll then transfer it, or do all the work on the computer?  What sort of methods do you use to plan, if any?

So far, I've done most of my drafting hand-written but that was circumstantial since I needed something actually interesting to do during  a class taught by Professor Idiot.  Currently I'm writing incomplete, unpunctuated sentences in a Word document whose meanings I often have to decipher only hours after writing them.  

You? 

• 411 posts
    August 5, 2015 7:32 PM EDT

I type because for some reason paper bothers me 

• 694 posts
    August 6, 2015 3:17 PM EDT

Depends on what it is and when the idea strikes me. I've been known to feverishly scrawl in notepads, on napkins, or up my arm, AND to furiously type in my notepad app on my phone, in a "draft" email, or Google doc. Perhaps this level of creative disorganization is why a lot of my ideas stay just ideas.   The ideas that are really good I remember though, no matter the method. They stick with me. And that's the important part. I think of it as the "natural selection" element of the creative process.

I accept it, embrace it, and make no plans to change.

• 700 posts
    August 6, 2015 3:27 PM EDT

I like that - writing on whatever is available.  I think I like it because it's an amusing image that I've always applied to writers.  Sticky notes especially.  *Idea* - *scribble* - *stick*.  

• 694 posts
    August 6, 2015 3:35 PM EDT

It's a good question you pose! There are so many methods now for organizing ideas and lists. I'm organized about most things, but I have trouble hanging onto small things--pocket planners, moleskines, new apps I'm trying, etc... I think it's because I tend to (prematurely) throw things away, both accidentally and intentionally. I like to purge because (I believe) it keeps me light and uncluttered. But if it's really important I always know where it is.

Creative endeavors follow suit, I suppose.

• 700 posts
    August 6, 2015 3:54 PM EDT

I have trouble with them as well, but it's because I'm forgetful, sometimes about important things.  I eventually just forget that I even have a notebook.  But I've never gotten rid of one like that.  I suppose our notes are something like those ambiguous pictures like the Rubin Vase.  We just have to look at it all in the right way to see something new.  

• 694 posts
    August 6, 2015 4:28 PM EDT

I like that analogy! Unfortunately, that's the best I can usually hope for when I revisit discarded ideas.

• 558 posts
    August 6, 2015 5:20 PM EDT

As far as builds, I usually do it all on the computer. For any writing, I like to do my first draft on paper.

• 700 posts
    August 6, 2015 5:25 PM EDT
    I've been trying to expedite that process so I could participate in the building competition, but it's like walking a maze blind. I just keep running into walls. Oh well. I'm taking your advice on this one and not turning what I do for fun into something stressful. I'll just enjoy the bloodbath.
    • 700 posts
    August 6, 2015 5:27 PM EDT
    Makes sense since builds have a lot more formatting.
    • 694 posts
    August 6, 2015 5:36 PM EDT
    I'll just enjoy the bloodbath.

Yesssssssssss. That makes it sound so metal. 

Caveat: do it but only if it's want you want. A little stress is normal and can be productive, but as you've alluded to, "The Fun Thing should be still fun." For me the creative process alone is fun and restorative, regardless of whether or not it "becomes" something. But not everyone feels that way. Either way, enjoy the journey, dude. 

• 700 posts
    August 6, 2015 6:41 PM EDT

Fair enough, I'll make an addendum to my mental note.  It's been six days and I haven't even figured out the basic roleplay, so I'll let this one go and just play the character I was playing before.  I'm very results oriented, so enjoying the journey is a practiced skill for me.  Ugg it though, I'll try it though.  I will "live in the moment" as they say.  

• 694 posts
    August 6, 2015 7:26 PM EDT
    Waiitttt a seconddd. Are we talking about a possible future build?! Then forget literally everything I just said bc I want to see it happen. :D

Also you should PM me.
    • 184 posts
    August 7, 2015 3:10 AM EDT

I have a time limit on electronic devices and most of my creativity surfaces after my time is up, so I have plenty of journals, notepads and random scraps of paper upon which I scrawl my ideas and draw my characters. I have so many of these books, in fact, that my desk looks like the beginnings of a library. I even name my books (currently there are Jacket Book, Book of Stuff I, Book of Stuff II, Diary VI, Drawing Book and several others). I use pens for writing and pencils for drawing.

When I can, I prefer to type. The process is quicker and I feel like it flows better that way. I can also use backspace. Oh my God I love backspace.