Kinda sorta. Instead of Sun, it's Ceaser
    • 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 8:55 AM EDT

You're joking, right?

• August 4, 2015 8:59 AM EDT
    It certainly has power.
    • 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:01 AM EDT

Mostly in my 20s.  I feel more able to put it into context now, so in that sense I agree with you

• 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:03 AM EDT

Yeah whatever you think of its contents its one of the great works of literature 

• 113 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:12 AM EDT

Actually I am.

Have you read any of the first book yet? Or are you saving it for your vacation? 

I found it hard to get into because I watched the television series before I read the books. Yet in the long run, I still find that the some scenes were done better in the books where as others were done superbly on the tv series. 

My favorite scene of that saga of the series is the Jamie vs Eddard duel. I am a bit bothered with the fact that on the tv series, that fight is ended with such a shitty cop-out. 

My biggest irk though is just how lame Dany is. In both the books and on tv. I figure she is one of the most well-thought out characters but I also think she is too thought out. You know? 

• 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:17 AM EDT

Saving it. I'll let you know what I think

• 113 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:20 AM EDT

I'm certain that the Bible was burned. But who and where, we'll never know... 

• 113 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:23 AM EDT

Yeah? Well don't let me kill too much of it, because it's not like some important characters die or what not. 

• 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:31 AM EDT

Haha, thanks! Don't worry I've watched all of the TV show: Best Show Ever

• 700 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:57 AM EDT

I've never actually read it from cover to cover.  I picked up the Old Testament around 13 and stopped reading after an hour or so.  I think the language was too difficult for me, I don't exactly remember.  Since then it's acted as a reference book of sorts, when I need to read a particular passage because it relates to some discussion I'm having.  Not even a religious discussion necessarily - sometimes it just makes for good analogies.  

But you really only read the bible?  Nothing else? 

• 700 posts
    August 4, 2015 9:58 AM EDT

Huh, I didn't know there were ES books, though I'm not at all surprised.  

• 700 posts
    August 4, 2015 10:03 AM EDT

I've heard of reading more than one book at once, but not listening to one while reading another.  How's that working out? 

• 700 posts
    August 4, 2015 10:07 AM EDT

Why hasn't it gone well? 

• 694 posts
    August 4, 2015 11:32 AM EDT

I'll cop to it-- my track record for finishing books has been a little less than awesome lately. I love a good read, but life and laziness prevail more often than I'd like. I also have to read books for work that our researchers publish and then draft press releases on them; often times the subject matter is... not my favorite kind of read. So after spending the day grappling with bone-dry, quant-heavy research, I usually don't feel like picking up a book when I get home.

The last book I didn't finish was Love in the Time of Cholera this past spring. It was recommended to me by a friend, but--oof--I didnt make it more than 100 pages. Romance isn't my jam anyway though. 

I usually steer clear of popular books, but I just scooped up The Martian by Andy Weir. Supposedly it's a funny and a quick read, but I can't attest to that yet.

• 700 posts
    August 4, 2015 11:48 AM EDT

Huh, looks like The Martian is being made into a movie.  Quick, finish the books so that you can say you read it before the movie came out!  Get your hipster strut on.  Where do you work that you have to read research daily? 

• 184 posts
    August 4, 2015 11:52 AM EDT

Most recently, I read Ender's Shadow. Brilliant book. I'm thinking of trying out the Discworld series.

• 694 posts
    August 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT
    The clerk at the counter actually told me that as I was checking out! If it's a fast read hopefully I can get through it before it comes out. :P

I work at a think tank on communications and development initiatives. Part of my job is being informed for publicizing our latest research and findings, creating web content, and writing funding proposals. Our researchers don't publish full books every day, but there's usually a steady flow of peer-reviewed journal articles and op-eds.
    • 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 12:04 PM EDT

You must: they're brilliant! 

• 184 posts
    August 4, 2015 12:07 PM EDT

My sister's told me a bit about them - she says they're priceless. The only problem is that once I start reading something, I can't write until I get the book done. XD I think I'm ready to take the plunge anyway!

• 184 posts
    August 4, 2015 12:18 PM EDT

I think it's a series of like 8 books with 5000-15000 pages each of a thousand million 'ands', followed by lengthy descriptions of the relationships (and rivers) between factions. And war as well. But I haven't read them so I'm not entirely certain.

• 700 posts
    August 4, 2015 12:35 PM EDT

That sounds enjoyable, but I can see why you might not want to read at the end of the day.