Forums » General Gaming

Official Witcher Discussion Thread

• 641 posts
    November 15, 2015 12:49 PM EST

I'm on PS4 and since I finally just started my NG+ so I could play the DLC I had my heart set on revamping my Geralt but this game is pissing me off

• 1595 posts
    December 5, 2015 3:22 AM EST

It's that damned horse isn't it? Fuck you Roach, I'd rather walk!

This'll cheer you up. You know you want it.

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 4:34 AM EST

Just in case anyone here gives a fuck, The Witcher 3 beat Fallout 4 at the Game Awards for Game of the Year and Best Roleplaying Game. CD Projekt Red won Best Developer.

• 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 5:56 AM EST

Of course they did, the free dlc, constant support, etc. Its the easiest good publicity possible.

• 649 posts
    December 7, 2015 6:36 AM EST

I would have been really surprised if Fallout 4 was awarded as better game than Witcher 3. Which isn´t. So yeah! Go CD Projekt Red! Bring us new Witcher!

Not sure if you heard that, guys, but I heard somewhere maybe they´ll make new Witcher, though it won´t be about Geralt anymore. Witcher 3 finally closed Geralt´s story, so I´m kinda curious where they´ll take us next. 

• 288 posts
    December 7, 2015 6:56 AM EST

That's normal. Even I, who never finished it, because it's kind of not my thing, could see that W3 is a better made game than F4.

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2015 7:07 AM EST

Yeah, I can definetly understand it. The Witcher 3 is probably the best RPG since...well, Baldur's Gate I reckon, it's hard to compare it because it's so different but honestly it's one of the best made games in ages.

I'd be totally down for a new Witcher, though I'd prefer to have it in a very different location, and with perhaps a darker character, just to make it as different as possible from the current series. 

• 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 8:15 AM EST
    Best rpg since balder's gate? I wouldn't go that crazy... Good certainly, but that good? Maybe if I'm high or only played 2 other RPG's since then...
    • 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 8:21 AM EST
    The main reason I dont feel witcher should win RPG awards or called a great RPG is cause it isn't an RPG... You don't create a character, Geralt's already created, his history, friends, back story, and personality are established... You don't play the role as Geralt, you're watching his story... You can't even role play as you aren't the character.

I'd say Witcher is a great action game or character action game... But not an RPG. Fallout 4 I'd barely qualify as a RPG as well for all of you people who think I'm just a fan boy.
    • 288 posts
    December 7, 2015 8:43 AM EST

Not all RPG's feature character creation. A lot of the old classics featured just pre-made characters from which to choose.

I agree, however, that playing as the Witcher is very limiting, probably this is one of the reasons I didn't get into the game much.

• 136 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:21 AM EST

I finished W3 and had more fun playing it than I am currently having in FO4. Don't get me wrong, I like FO4, but W3 sucked me in a bit more. In terms of what had a better effect at drawing me into the game: Skyrim > W3 > FO4.

• 136 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:23 AM EST

Baldur's Gate is one of my all-time favorite Rpgs. 

• December 7, 2015 10:50 AM EST
    Yeah, Baldur's Gate was awhile ago. Lots of RPGs to consider. Planescape, Morrowind, a few Obsidian games, etc.

I would say the story held the Witcher 3 back a bit. The smaller stories are fine (Bloody Baron is great). But the Wild Hunt and the rest of their race are extremely disappointing.
    • 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 11:10 AM EST
    Character creation isnt as important as being able to actually role play... You can't as geralt.
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 11:16 AM EST

You can roleplay AS him if you know his personality, he isn't just Geralt from the games, but from the books. Granted, I've only read The Last Wish.

• 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 11:24 AM EST
    But that's just it, every decision in the games complies with how he'd act in the books... The books delve deep into his psyche.

And if you were to deviate from how he'd act (not possible) it to advance the story and its impossible to ignore.
    • 641 posts
    December 7, 2015 11:47 AM EST

So are Mass Effect and Deus Ex: HR also not RPGs?

• 288 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:00 PM EST

Don't start that topic

• 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:36 PM EST
    I'd argue Deus Ex is more of an RPG cause you can choose how he wants to handle hostiles,his dialogue, personality to an extent... Mass effect not as much but I also has customization, character creation, and the personality thing to an extent.
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:39 PM EST

Deus Ex is one of my favorite ARPGs, you know they released an updated graphics/gameplay mod for Deux Ex the Conspiracy? Can't wait for Mankind Divided next year!

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 12:40 PM EST

Well, you can, by refusing to be paid, which is HIGHLY contrasting with what Witchers normally do

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 2:12 PM EST
    The main reason I dont feel witcher should win RPG awards or called a great RPG is cause it isn't an RPG... You don't create a character, Geralt's already created, his history, friends, back story, and personality are established... You don't play the role as Geralt, you're watching his story... You can't even role play as you aren't the character.

I'd say Witcher is a great action game or character action game... But not an RPG. Fallout 4 I'd barely qualify as a RPG as well for all of you people who think I'm just a fan boy.
    You're a fan boy an you're chatting shit Bryn Dog  but I think the topic of what qualifies as an RPG would be a topic worthy of separate discussion for the whole community.
    • 1913 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:46 PM EST
    And Geralt has done that from time to time in the books...
    • 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:48 PM EST

Really? I've only read The Last Wish, and the stories within, but I don't recall him refusing payment

• 1467 posts
    December 7, 2015 7:44 PM EST

How can you say that you can't Roleplay? There are tonnes of options within the game to make massive choices, that reflect differently on how you see Geralt, dealing with the Bloody Baron is just one of these, which creates a very different feel depending on which way you choose.

Each contract is a choice, and by choosing to complete or not complete each one can alter how you Roleplay him. Conversation choices, with Geralt acting different show up constantly.

You can easily Roleplay in the Witcher, you just have to stick with a Backstory (and even then you can change it by picking different options when 'remembering the past'). Saying you can't Roleplay is like saying there's only one fighting style. There are tonnes of opportunities within the game.