Forums » Fallout

Of course you can skip

• 1913 posts
    August 2, 2015 9:02 PM EDT

I love how in Fallout 3 and NV you can skip a lot of quests just by heading to the ending area. In Fallout 3 you can find your dad a day after leaving if you know where to search.

Do you all like this in games or prefer railroading? Me personally, I'm fine with either.

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 9:15 PM EDT

I definitely like it. It makes much more sense for an evil character to just skip a lot of that intervening stuff in both games (though there are certainly ways to play those quests evil). If you're going for specific quests, gear, or just a speed run, it's great. If they allow you to continue playing after the main quest, then it'll especially nice.

• 1913 posts
    August 2, 2015 10:25 PM EDT
    So fallout 3: Broken Steel? :P
    • 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 10:34 PM EDT

Yeah, as long as they don't waste a whole freaking DLC to do it. Make it vanilla, or don't include it at all. Broken Steel was a fun quest, but it didn't justify a whole DLC, and having since seen Bethesda put together things like Dawnguard, and Dragonborn, they can't try to pull that again.

• 14 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:05 PM EDT

I like that it's an option, but I don't like it as much when it's obvious. And when I say obvious, I mean, "let's name the game after a city, make the city a relatively obvious 'end-goal' (don't want to be to presumptive), and then put the city 20 feet from the start of the game. We'll call it, Fallout: New Vegas."

I love Fallout. I love New Vegas. But when I first sat down to play it with my friend, I turned to him and said, "Seriously? I wonder where in the wastes the dude that shot me in the face could POSSIBLY be hiding. Granted, the first half-hour was spent dying via Cazadors to the west and Deathclaws to the northeast, but shortly thereafter I just snuck along the cliffs on the other side of Black Mountain, right around the Deathclaws, bolted for Repconn HQ, and was safe and sound from there. In Fallout 3, at least for me, I never would have guessed that James would be way out in Vault 112. I would've thought maybe in D.C., but there wasn't really anything terribly obvious for me. New Vegas being so close and so accessible kind of ruined it for me. Get to Vegas in a half-hour, break the bank at the Atomic Wrangler, steal the inventory at Silver Rush, and you walk into the strip as a god at level 4. I don't know, that just never really sat well with me.

• 1217 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:24 PM EDT

That's a position I've never really understood. Through it all, at any time you can take a different path. So you can walk onto the Strip with an arsenal at level 4, but if it's something that doesn't sit well, the natural thing to do is to choose not to, and handle it a different way, right?

• 14 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:30 PM EDT

Absolutely my mindset now. For some reason my first playthrough always presents me the problem of "try to break the everything, steal the everything, and get all of the everything that can be done." Haven't been able to fully break away from that, but my initial curiosity and explorative nature always set me off to do the coolest and craziest things I can. I think what I'm trying to say is that I personally didn't want it to be that easy from the get go. Now I appreciate it because it allows me access to a lot of things I want for my characters a lot sooner, but initially it was really disappointing. I guess personally I prefer the distant view of the D.C. skyline, with the very-easy-to-see-but-very-hard-to-reach Washington Monument staring back at me. More of a challenge I guess.

• 1217 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:38 PM EDT

Absolutely my mindset now. For some reason my first playthrough always presents me the problem of "try to break the everything, steal the everything, and get all of the everything that can be done."

Ah. I definitely understand that. For some reason (perhaps because there was less to do?) I didn't have this issue with FO3/NV, but I did run into it with Skyrim. After playing through most of the game, I found the Blog (now the Vault), and found out about builds, but I still didn't start using or making them for a while, and when I did, I was still playing that first character. I got to a point where I found that this character kinda stolen the glory from other characters I wanted to do, and now there wouldn't be an opportunity to experience the Dark Brotherhood, or Companions etc. for the first time again with the "right character." That's actually where my little Destiny Thief story came from.

You make a good point, and I'm interested to see the balance that FO4 takes. Bethesda made that more vague/mysterious/challenging D.C. wasteland, while New Vegas' was Obsidian. But now Bethesda is using the level rubberbanding from New Vegas. May change things, may not. Here's to not spoiling the experience for ourselves.

• 490 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:38 PM EDT

I like the concept that I can, but I never do. I like blowing stuff up way too much to pass up.

• 14 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:43 PM EDT

I had exactly the same problem in Skyrim! Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-all-trades, basically becoming an unstoppable forces . . . and you can only repeat quests with other character builds so many times before you can't take it anymore. My first character was a big, two-handed Nord warrior, but I still did the College of Winterhold and Dark Brotherhood quests with him. Heh, I even tried to rectify it all by splitting him into a good and evil save files after Dragonborn, but essentially it's all still the same guy. We'll just have to anxiously await the release of 4 to see what happens (although I can already feel curiosity preparing to kill that poor Vault 111 dweller . . . )

• 1217 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:49 PM EDT

I can't deny, it's going to take some massive self restraint to really ask myself "Would this character do this quest?" and walk away if he wouldn't.

• 14 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:49 PM EDT

Oh, what we do for the sake of the role-play . . .

• 1217 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:53 PM EDT

Character building (pun intended) exercise, says I.

• 14 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:54 PM EDT

Aye, that it be. That it be . . .