Forums » Fallout

Let's talk Fallout settlements

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 8:03 AM EDT

There are some set spaces. It doesn't look that small honestly but you can bet on at least 4 or so places to build on in the different environments. It's not totally free build as you do have to build in certain spots but I can see why they wouldn't allow us to build anywhere.

• 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 9:44 AM EDT

I wonder how hard it would be to build the Elder Scrolls dragon logo with them lights 

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 12:51 PM EDT

I dig these breakdowns! Subscribed! I'll be back with some, eh, opinions, after I finish watching.

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:07 PM EDT

Loved the videos, easy sub! I appreciated the sentiment that surprise is a-ok; I'm hoping they tell us more about these customization options, but I'm totally fine with not seeing anything else until release. Right now I'm most psyched to see what kind of verticality these settlements have. I've come across some people that were hoping the quarry briefly shown at E3 is a settlement location, and I'm definitely all for that. Great videos, Matt!

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:15 PM EDT

I'm definitely going to at least use the treehouse one for a lone safehouse.

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:16 PM EDT

Do you mean the bunker looking one?

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:17 PM EDT

My money's on an inter-settlement teleporter system...I'm dreaming big.

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:20 PM EDT

Same. I really hope that when I do a lone wolf character, with just one or two safehouses scattered around the map, I won't have to deal with huge attacks.

Some sniping practice sounds fun though!

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:23 PM EDT

Here's an album with what we can reasonably guess is 6-8 different locations, Paul, based more on the terrain surroundings than the settlements themselves.

• 490 posts
    August 2, 2015 1:55 PM EDT
    I hope we can rig our own settlements to explode with tons of traps. The flames and what seems to be trip wires looks promising!

I very much enjoy being a drifter and not one to settle down in big places, so I would get a huge kick out of setting up "fake" settlements in which raiders would find a ghost town filled with mines and other traps. It would be hilarious if they could attack these places while I am on the other side of the map. I would get a "+EXP" notification and know someone tried to rob my trap.

I am sure I will have at least one small hideout to store things, but I am not sure if I want to make it ridiculously flashy with all the gadgets or simple and hidden.
    • 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 2:00 PM EDT

I love the idea of being able to pull a "Boulder City" on an army of raiders.

• 189 posts
    August 2, 2015 2:09 PM EDT

Better yet -- giant Rube Goldberg machine, anyone? 

• 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 4:24 PM EDT

I hope I can employ a bunch of Super Mutants to be my security guards 

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:37 PM EDT

I'm sure someone might give a template. It would be similar to building something big on Minecraft if you are familiar with that.

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:38 PM EDT

Thank you. You see that one settlement spot that is 'tree house' kinda. It builds upward. I really hope you can build up because nothing is safer than being 5 stories up in your fortified mansion as goons defend your loot for you. 

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:40 PM EDT

Completely understandable. That's what I love about it, it's completely optional. They aren't going to force you to do it. It would certainly be interesting to just have a rigged settlement. I would enjoy that a lot. That's a very solid idea that I hope would be at least entertained by Bethesda.

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:41 PM EDT

Good idea. Kind of in the same area as ramping up the difficulty on attacks, you should be able to get better guards. Maybe even have your guys in Power Armor after you train them.

• 490 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:44 PM EDT
    True. I have seen too many movies to not the try the old "ghost town surprise ambush" in some raiders or super mutants.
    • 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:48 PM EDT

Come to think of it I wonder if you can have any faction specific settlements. That would be cool. 

• 1483 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:04 PM EDT

I would probably make a small shack, preferably in a well-defensible position. I'll try to have it as close to the center of the map as possible. That is, if I don't get random attacks on it. If I'll get those, I'll build a few of such outposts and use them for temporary safehouses :)

• 490 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:16 PM EDT
    That would be awesome!

It could attract friendly people of the same factions and maybe bring in waves of enemies, too.
    • 1595 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:24 PM EDT

Alright I've got to say this purely for the sake of discussion. Why is there so much excitement surrounding this aspect of F4? None of the stuff which is available is in any way aesthetically pleasing, there is no depth to the concept or questline to embark on and there seems to be almost no point in doing any of it. I mean, Hearthfire was shite but at least it was easy on the eye.

• 1483 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:32 PM EDT

It is Hearthfire with the ability to create entire settlements with trade routes, defenses, NPCs etc. It also appears to be highly customizable, unlike Hearthfire where you only choose from existing templates. This appeals to some people. Personally, I'd make a shack and be done with it 

• 1217 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:33 PM EDT
    The aesthetics of it are objective. They fit the fallout setting just fine, and the settlement mechanic is involved in the main quest line, and bound to include other quests tied to different settlers(who told you otherwise?).

The appeal is manifold;
    •You get access to unique equipment through traders
    •You can organize your home/settlement how you want, every feature, without things you aren't interested in/won't use.
    •It provides an alternative playstyle other than spending all your time killing things

Put simply, it's options. You don't have to do it, but if you want to, by gum you can really do it. I mean if you hated Hearthfire, it obviously won't appeal to you, and by the same token, it's of huge appeal to people who do like it.
    • 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:37 PM EDT

I can't speak for everyone, only for myself. I just enjoy making things my own. Even back in Morrowind I would get my house from the end of any of the Great House quest lines and fix it up with my personal taste. I did it with all of the Elder Scrolls games and Fallout 3 when it released. Now they give us the chance to fully customize this aspect of the game and fully go all out, but only if we want to. That's the true beauty of it. It's optional. If it's not pleasing to a portion of the fan base, it's entirely possible to never touch it. I also enjoy games such as Minecraft, Unturned, Reign of Kinds, and any other 'builder' game so it's exciting to see such elements make it into a Bethesda game.

Being aesthetically pleasing is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. It feels very gritty and has this scavenged feel to it, which I think is the Fallout universe in a nutshell. Of course it's not going to be a marble mansion with a little library nook to take naps in during the day  that you just want to look at because it's pretty. No, it's a place to survive. It's a place you turn to when radiation storms and raiders are closing in. It's your safe haven in a world where everything will eat you up and spit you out if you look at the wrong way.

Good discussion. That is just my insight on to why I find excitement in this optional feature. There is quests leading to it if you do them. The whole point is that you can get traders with very high quality items and have a convenient place to store everything from your travels, whether it be on display on the wall or in a locked safe that is upstairs next to your gun collection. Cheers.