Forums » Fallout

Let's talk Fallout settlements

• 773 posts
    August 2, 2015 4:16 AM EDT

One of the most anticipated features of Fallout 4 is the ability to build our own settlement. 

We don't know a lot of specifics yet, so let's speculate 

Our new YouTube partner Gym Leader Matt has posted up two detailed and informative videos that look at some the possible ways in which this might all play out

Watch the videos and discuss what you want to do with your own settlement 

• 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:25 AM EDT

Cool videos!

I'm really excited about the settlement mechanics, I have my sites set on that treehouse looking one.

• 739 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:44 AM EDT

Welcome to the Vault Gym Leader!

Cool vid! I really want to know what this thing is...

It looks pretty awesome! Thought it may be some kind of teleporter or power armor recharge station at first glance...

Maybe its some kind of energy source to power the settlement.

• 189 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:49 AM EDT

Same here, this is maybe the thing I'm looking forward to most of all. Really excited. I want to watch these videos, but it's past my bedtime now. I've added them to my "Watch Later" list though and will be sure to check them out tomorrow. Welcome to the Vault, Matt!

• 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 5:55 AM EDT

It looks like the terraformer from Man of Steel lol

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:12 AM EDT

Me too. It's insane looking. I was going to say something but I just couldn't think of what to speculate about it being, haha.

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:12 AM EDT

Glad to be here. Thank you.

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:13 AM EDT

That one is nice. I like the 'coast' style one. I don't know about that door opening into the lake/ocean area but I'll figure out what to put there instead. Ha.

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:48 AM EDT

It's all hard to say. Going from other games that use similar things, like Unturned, I would speculate the generators are going to be the primary source of power. A bigger settlement would just mean more and more generators. The materials to make it look simple and only require a couple of each material to even make. Perhaps that huge electric thing could be a source of power but there's only one way to know for sure, sadly. Of course that's just speculation/gut feeling on it. 

It could be defense related. They really didn't seem to want to show it in use. It's one of the bigger mysteries I can't really come up with a plausible answer for that's worth making speculation on. I wish I knew, I really do. 

• 739 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:53 AM EDT

There's a platform in the middle of two tesla coils at ground level, it has that 'stand here' look to it...

I do wonder if its some way of fast travel between your settlements. Don't think Fallout has teleporters though unless its stolen alien tech...

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:56 AM EDT

It definitely gave off a 'teleport' vibe, that's for sure. It would make sense but as you said, it would be hard to explain. Either way, I think I'll be happy with...whatever it comes to actually be.

• 1483 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:59 AM EDT

I really hope that raider attacks do not start until your settlement is large enough. I'd hate to build a small shack for my character only to find out that it is being constantly attacked. 

• 739 posts
    August 2, 2015 6:59 AM EDT

Yeah......I'd probably build one anyway because its big and glowy!

...even if I don't need it! 

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:06 AM EDT

Same. I'll be all like 'give me 5 of them pls'. No questions asked. Even if it's just for decorative purposes.

• 739 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:07 AM EDT

I'm guessing the frequency of raider attacks is tied to how how many resources your settlement is creating...

If you just build a shed to store a couple of guns in I doubt that would get any action at all.

But if you have trading stands and power supplies and all the good stuff it starts attracting lots of fools!

I'm interested to know the frequency of the attacks! Will it be possible to just sit with your sniper rifle in a well fortified base and level up off all the attacks! 

• 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:08 AM EDT

Yeah a good way to do it would be the bigger and more advanced the settelment is the more attractive it would be to raiders.

• 773 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:12 AM EDT

Welcome Matt, its good to have this up and running

I watched the two videos and its pretty exciting to see not only the 'facts' that we have, but also a bit of speculation to chew over as we wait for FO4

What you said about perks is very interesting to me. It does look as if Intelligence is going to be needed to get the level of customisation that you'd need to be able to create something awesome. I'm hoping too, as you mentioned, that you'll need Charisma to a high level - it makes a lot of sense that you'd need to get people to like you to get traders and settlers to move in.

I would expect that we'll get a 'core' set of equipment in the vanilla game, with perhaps a later DLC (as with Hearthfire) adding a bunch more stuff. It's just too much of a cash cow for Bethesda to not do that! And of course we are likely to see an absolute TON of mods coming out for this feature...

I wonder how many places in the world we'll be able to build? Hearthfire added just three in Skyrim, but I get the feeling that since they are really pushing this feature in FO4 that we'll see quite a few more. Perhaps 8-10 places around the game world?

• 773 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:13 AM EDT

Well, I'd hope it would be somehow tied-in to the 'desirability' of your settlement 

In other words, if you just have the small shack then its not really worth Raiders bothering with. But if you have a small town with merchants and decent equipment... well... that's a different story

• 773 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:15 AM EDT

Reminds me of the Tesla Coils from Command & Conquer

Showing my age there 

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:16 AM EDT

Well said. With it being the kind of feature that it is, I wouldn't be surprised that each dlc would have room for 1 or more places for new settlements. For example, if a dlc was released for Fallout 4 about the size of Point Lookout then you might see 2 or 3 places for settlements and on the small size if they released one the size of The Pitt then maybe just a single place. 

Either way, there needs to be room to improve on this feature for sure. I'd love to see it constantly getting updated and all of that stuff. 

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:17 AM EDT

I agree with that. I couldn't see a small, 2 or 3 person settlement getting attacked very often. At least I'd hope not. It just makes a lot of sense to be, like you said, based on the resources of your settlement.

• 641 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:23 AM EDT

So does the settlements have to be in a specific place or is there like a small plot where you can build it anywhere on?

• 773 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:24 AM EDT

Yeah it makes sense to add new locations to any new landmass they add (and we will surely get new landmass with DLC)

Just like they did by adding a place to build a house on Solstheim...oh wait...

• 1483 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:46 AM EDT

Yeah, this. I'm just going by the example of Hearthfire, when no matter how small your "settlement" is, you get those random attacks by bandits and giants. That feature made me avoid Hearthfire houses as permanent residences altogether. 

• 23 posts
    August 2, 2015 8:02 AM EDT

Yea it's like they had a good idea with hearthfire then just decided to never revisit that area of the game again. Bethesda is good at adapting and learning and I'm sure if the fans love it, we'll get some love back from them.