Forums » Elder Scrolls

UESPWiki vs The Elder Scrolls Wiki: Which One do you Prefer?

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 1:43 AM EDT

Hello all, Rogue here with quite possibly the nerdiest thread on the Vault. 

What's your favorite Wikipedia for Elder Scrolls? UESP or the official Elder Scrolls Wiki?

Honestly, I believe the UESP makes the Elder Scrolls Wiki inferior. It's much more rich in lore, stats, and the overall layout is just better in my opinion. 

So which one do you guys like? Is my opinion in the small minority or the large majority?

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    July 29, 2015 1:54 AM EDT

In general, from what I've noticed by using both sites, I prefer UESP. It seems to have what actually happens in the game, while ESW tells what should happen. Which can sometimes be a hell of a big difference lol.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 1:55 AM EDT

Exactly, lol.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 2:05 AM EDT

True

• July 29, 2015 2:13 AM EDT

Elder Scrolls Wiki is pretty terrible when it comes to lore. They try to include a bit more out of game material, which is nice, but they jump to conclusions like crazy. Take Ius the Animal God. It says he is worshiped in Valenwood and parts of Elsweyr and Hammerfell. So ESWiki puts him in the Bosmeri, Khajiiti, and Redguard pantheons...

Some articles just have straight-up fabrications. Like this random entry in the Lefthanded Elves page: "The Lefthanded Elves were very accustomed to desert living and their wizards could  cities out of the sand in minutes. The Redguards learned how to make scimitars and turbans from the Lefthanded elves. Other accomplishments of these elves were  to defend against sandstorms, tunnel through the sand at an amazing rate, as well as creating armor from sand and sandstone." Uncited, obviously, because none of that is stated anywhere.

UESP, while still not perfect, tends to stick to just what the sources say and seems to make a conscious effort not to jump to conclusions. Not perfect, but it's decent enough.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 2:23 AM EDT

Yeah, Elder Scrolls Wiki is definitely guilty for the sheer amount of assumptions they have. It's sad really.

• 113 posts
    July 29, 2015 2:33 AM EDT

I prefer this site. 

• 149 posts
    July 29, 2015 2:50 AM EDT
    UESP all the way. I've preferred it for years.
    • 394 posts
    July 29, 2015 3:03 AM EDT

I use the Elder Scrolls more, but that's because it's on an app and it's very easy just to tap the button. Sometimes voice search even works. 

This site is great too @Egbron 

• 288 posts
    July 29, 2015 4:12 AM EDT

Both.

ESWiki has better pages for unique equipment and it also has very detailed "bugs" secions for quests with possible solutions, which have helped me a lot. In general, they have better description of quests, I believe.

UESP has better pages for spells with very good and easy to find information on base spell cost. UESP is also better for finding console (the tool, not the platform) codes for various equipment, quest stages and spells.

• 641 posts
    July 29, 2015 6:40 AM EDT

*Puts on Hipster glasses* I actually prefer reading up on the actual lore on the Imperial Library so theynI can make my own interpretation on it.  

• July 29, 2015 8:46 AM EDT

*adjusts fedora*   Wiki Shmiki! I just load up my character and pour through the appropriate in-game books.

Seriously though  prefer UESP, but will check the other for some things like rare clothing placement.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:03 AM EDT

Same here.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:04 AM EDT

Yeah the Vault is a wonderful source as well.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:06 AM EDT

*Puts on fine hat* Looks like UESP is winning so far.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:06 AM EDT

Good points.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:12 AM EDT

Pretty much.

• 394 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:25 AM EDT

*puts on trilby*  Am I the only bozo here that uses an app then? It's just so convenient

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:27 AM EDT

*Puts on Fine Boots* Lol I didn't even know they had an app.

• 131 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:29 AM EDT
    What about the Imperial Library?
    • 394 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:32 AM EDT

Yes, ES Wikia app, android. I am actually wearing a trilby BTW!

• 739 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:35 AM EDT

I always stop at the UESP first...

I prefer the layout on the pages and find they go into better detail about mechanics/numbers. The wiki is often bogged down with ads which slows me down when I'm searching for info and they aren't as detailed.  

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:36 AM EDT

Great choice. I didn't put it in the title because I was aiming to make it "UESP vs Elder Scrolls Wiki"more than a "What's your favorite TES Wiki". Regardless, The Imperial Library is definitely a wonderful source.

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:37 AM EDT

What makes you think I'm not wearing fine boots? 

• 743 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:38 AM EDT

Yeah like I said in the discussion, the overall layout of UESP is superior to Elder Scrolls Wiki.