Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Merit of Elder Scrolls Multiplayer

• 45 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:55 PM EDT

Disclaimer: I have not played or watched any gameplay of ESO and therefore know nothing about it, so feel free to correct me on any of my incorrect assumptions.

I've been thinking of buying ESO for a while, but there are a few things that are stopping me. Personally, one of my favorite things about the Elder Scrolls is how incredibly immersed one can become in the world, and I've found that MMOs aren't exactly the pinnacle of immersion. In addition to that, I feel that playing an Elder Scrolls MMO, as Todd Howard recently said about Fallout multiplayer, would be a little distracting because of all of the other people, the obtrusive quest markers, and other things that separate MMOs from other more immersive RPGs.

For those of you who have played ESO, was immersion a problem? Did it have the feel of an Elder Scrolls game? And if you were dissatisfied with how ESO turned out, do you think it would be possible to make an Elder Scrolls game multiplayer and still retain the feel and immersion of a singleplayer game?

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 28, 2015 4:20 PM EDT

Yes, immersion was a problem. I thought the environments looked fake. Shiny, new, and plastic. Everyone running around and jumping from one quest segment to another, waiting for monster respawns and fighting off other people, the usual morons running around naked or spamming chats.

I remembered why I left World of Warcraft. It was for the story. ESO don't make any sense.

I don't want Elder Scrolls multiplayer. I hate other people. They ruin my gaming experience.