Forums » Elder Scrolls

Calling All Alchemists:

• 12 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:05 PM EDT

My next play through I definitely need to do alchemy. I always seem to give up on it after awhile. Mostly because either way I have an inventory with a crazy amount of potions that "I might really need" for later on...

My highest level char does separate smithing and enchanting gear similarly though. Ores/pelts/leathers and strips/ gems. Then filled soul gems/empty gems/jewelry/unenchanted gear, and then a box for enchanting/smithing potions I find.

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:19 PM EDT

I don't even want to touch how I've organized my smithing and enchanting supplies in the past. Y'all would definitely call me obsessive, because there are definitely systems in place with that too! 

All I'll say about it is that (in Hearthfire) I like to put my enchanting potions in the satchel on that table (with a few soul gem shards scattered at the top for RP ) and putting the first weapon I've enchanted on the weapon plaque across from the table. Because memories.

• 77 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:03 PM EDT

Melindora definitely keeps alchemy ingredients in various containers in her alchemy tower, I can't remember the exact methodology at the moment, but I believe the greenhouse at the same manor is planted up in a similar fashion.

Meli also has a house with the storeroom, and files all health potions in one chest, magica potions in another and so on. That was my first play through so I did pretty much everything with Hearthfire.

Mr C built all of the safe boxes in one of his houses, and then filed all of his gem stones by type

• 12 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:19 PM EDT

I was unaware of the mannequins being so glitched at the time, so they are the only things not organized. I thought they could be changed without problem. Miraak is now in my smithing dungeon, and a Nordic carved warrior in my tower...oops.

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:38 PM EDT

I can verify that there is actually a viable fix for this glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYY2E83UPA

One of these days I'm going exploit this glitch better though. I like to stick Ahzidal's relics on the mannequin upstairs, so that I can put it on right before I start my enchanting. Relics + potions = happy Edana

• 394 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:43 PM EDT

Now there's a good idea: quick, tell Bethesda! It's not too late for ES6!

it has been done too, in a very old game which is still amongst my favourites:"Realms of the Haunting". 

• 394 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:46 PM EDT

I can't see it on Android :(

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:54 PM EDT

Oh good, another organizer like myself!! I forgot about the potion recipes! I stopped using them when I got that app, but it also reminds me that there is in face a 7th container within reach from facing the alchemy table--and that's a knapsack on the shelf next to the strongbox. I was putting my recipes in there.

I also love that you've organized your safes BY GEM STONE. I was tempted to do that too, but I made myself just put any jewelry supplies in one safe because I had other things to sort too. :D

• 77 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:00 PM EDT

Mr C (hubby) isn't normally that OCD, but for gemstones yes

I have even ordered soul gems by size in the enchanting tower, if only I could organise my office in the same way in r/l I'm sure my life would be a lot easier!

And don't get me started on the library

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:13 PM EDT

Ah! Your hubs! My mistake. I thought it was a char you had created. :)

I've ordered the gems in the tower as well by size, so I'm right with you there. Have you had luck with the library?? I've never built it out of fear that it would be terrible. The books literally fall off the bookshelf in the bedroom upstairs, so I've become highly skeptical of Hearthfire bookshelves. A whole library that functioned the same way would drive me INSANE... especially because the shelves are supposed to encourage order: not upend it!

• 77 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:21 PM EDT

Not too many problems running on PS3, the hardest part is collecting a complete series, and ending up finding duplicates! I find it best to leave one book place empty so that it's can't break the bookshelf game-wise.

No problem re hubby, easily done :-)

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:31 PM EDT

I'll have to experiment with this some once I re-acquire a Hearthfire home. I thought I was leaving at least a space or two, but perhaps I was overdoing it. I eventually gave up, so I can't remember exactly. I do know I tried removing some books and restacking and the same thing happened: books tumbled, I cursed the television... it was an annoying time.

Thanks for the pointer! 

• 367 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:31 PM EDT

In Lake View Den...(Don't call it a manor. it's a wolf thing) Sotek keeps the ingredients which he commonly uses in a herb pouch by the alchemy table. Potions/poisons which he uses are stored in the sack and other ingredients are stored in a barrel. In the smithy in the cellar all skins ect go into one chest while bars and ores go into a second chest. he's more organised with his wardrobe. 3 brown trousers and three miner shirts (White) in small cupboard he keeps three pairs of black boots.

• 77 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:33 PM EDT

I may have to revisit at some point and see if I can get a reasonable picture from the TV.

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:57 PM EDT

Hehe, believe me Sotek, I wouldn't dream of calling it a "Manor." I enchanted a sword for Rayya once with fear and paralyze and called it "Den Defender."    Previously I kept Lakeview as the "family home" and Windstad as my Secret Lair. 

I like how precise you are with your wardrobe! That's probably my least organized thing, actually. The one at Windstad held various retired armors, and I just threw some random clothes in the one at Lakeview DEN for RP fun. 

• 12 posts
    July 28, 2015 4:13 PM EDT

Thanks. I looked into it before, and I found something even more tedious than that. Glad you posted this though, I really need to focus on alchemy.

• 700 posts
    July 28, 2015 5:34 PM EDT

Edana, you should make a series of videos doing a Skyrim version of Cribs and show off your houses.  It would be delightfully entertaining.  

• 394 posts
    July 28, 2015 5:45 PM EDT

Haha, yes: I'd love to see that!

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 5:54 PM EDT
    Hah! I do have a tendency toward trophy hunting and displaying them. My favorite thing to do in the cellar is to artfully arrange centurion Dynamo cores into corners and vessels. It's so dark in some of those corners and the flashing red lights make it into a little mini rave. Party at Windstad!!!
    • 700 posts
    July 28, 2015 6:11 PM EDT

Where do I RSVP?  I'll even bring a bottle to share.  Would you prefer Argonian Bloodwine or Black-Briar Reserve?  

• 694 posts
    July 28, 2015 7:39 PM EDT
    Well, I mean guess you can just use the courier. That dude *always* seems to find me. :P

BLOODWIIIIIIINE!!!!!
    • 700 posts
    July 28, 2015 7:52 PM EDT
    Yeeaah, I'm not trusting the omniscient, occasionally nude courier to deliver a bottle of Bloodwine. He might...sully it.
    • 237 posts
    July 28, 2015 9:09 PM EDT

Seriously.  Ask Ben about how to get lots of barnacles quickly.

• 237 posts
    July 28, 2015 9:18 PM EDT

I just use http://www.garralab.com/skyrim/alchemy.php for my research needs.  I've tried apps and they're just more trouble than they're worth, especially when I have two computers with a total of three monitors (and a fourth "monitor" if I'm playing Skyrim on 360).

• 237 posts
    July 28, 2015 9:26 PM EDT

Y-

Y-you don't like alchemy?

What kind of wizard are you?!