Forums » Elder Scrolls

ISO Good Nord Warrior Name

• 43 posts
    July 21, 2015 7:36 PM EDT

Hello all! I'm planning out my next playable character for Skyrim and I could really use some help with coming up with a good first name. When I create characters, I usually spend a large amount of time creating them, and almost twice as much time coming up with a good name. (unless I have it already planned out, which is very rare) My last character was actually the inspiration for my name on this site! I based my character, a 2-handed Nord Warrior after Bodvar Bjarki, naming him Bodvar the Bear. I may/may not use him for character building for a "Nord Hero Build", but only time will tell.

Anyway, my new character will again be a Nord male, and will be the very definition of dragonborn. He will use shouts as they were meant to be, and will use 2-handed/ sword and shiled as well as archery to take out his enemies. I thought up "Storm-Caller" as a good surname and was seriously considering using Tyr (God of War and the Sky) or Thor/Torr (God of Thunder) as a first name, but I did not like the sound of it when it was read together. If any of you awesome people can help me think of a good name that fits my character and is lore-friendly, that would be amazing. I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with!

~Bodvar Bjarki

• 98 posts
    July 21, 2015 9:50 PM EDT

This is quite the coincidence really. I'm planning a pretty similar type of character (Nord Hero, Heavy Armor, 1H/Block) and I'm also searching for a name as well. I do got some in mind though. My favorites that I've gotten so far have been Filwulf, Thoralf, Thorleif, Kusthar, Alfbrand, Alfstar & Wulfgeir. They don't have any particular meaning, it's just inspiration from both already existing Nord names in TES and random Nord name generators. I'm still not particularly sold in any though, but you're free to take one if you like.

• 134 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:39 AM EDT

I second what Xavier said, plus you can check the UESP for canon Nord names.

Personally, I like Thorek and Yngvar. Or Fjolgard, but that one's made up.

What about Vignar Storm-Caller? Rolls off the tongue pretty well.

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 5:38 AM EDT

You guys are awesome. I ended up sleeping on the idea so when I have the time I can actually start doing some serious research. The thing with Skyrim is that many characters do not share the same name, which makes it very annoying when you find a good one online only to see that it is already being used by a random NPC who has no actual significance. (Sigurd, Belethor's assistant at Belethor's shop in Whiterun originates from a norse legendary hero) I'm gonna keep looking, maybe take into consideration another surname that I thought up (Wolfclaw or Wolf-Claw) and see how that works out!

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 5:41 AM EDT

I appreciate that. I;ll do some more research and add these names to my list. In the meantime if you need any help with your Nord character, please feel free to ask me anytime!

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 5:45 AM EDT

I've been checking out the lists and random name generators, and it's quite a process sifting through all of the different names. Since most of those names are already being used, I probably will not use them (with respect to the characters) but I will look at that one you created yourself and keep on searching. Maybe I can change the surname to Deathclaw or Death-Claw and see how that works out :)

• 394 posts
    July 22, 2015 5:53 AM EDT

When making names I refer to existing names of that type in Skyrim, then use a random generator to help, assigning nos 1-26 for the alphabet, plus 1-6 for vowels. I then accept or reject what comes up until I have what looks like the sort of name I'm looking for. The Nord names I've produced so far are 'Yudiel Oaken-Born" and "Myvesig Idlewild".

• 394 posts
    July 22, 2015 5:56 AM EDT

Interestingly there's someone in my extended family called' Bjorn': he's Norwegian and it does mean 'bear'.

• July 22, 2015 6:54 AM EDT

I gave similar advice to another who had the same dilemma as you, there is an artefact called the Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw, maybe you could use something from the lore section of this particular artefact

• 411 posts
    July 22, 2015 7:12 AM EDT
    if hes the definition of dragonborn mabye Fafnir as it is the name of a Dragon in norse myphology.
    • 51 posts
    July 22, 2015 8:55 AM EDT
    I thought of these names while in class
    •hjafnar Wild scar
    •Gjolin Rock skin
    •Fenris bloodclaw
    •Yng'rin cold touch
    •Seva Nord heart
    • 113 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:06 PM EDT

I thought Kaj was a pretty cool name for a Nord. 

• July 22, 2015 3:16 PM EDT

I don't know if this will help but when making names for my characters I always look at UESP (insert race here) names and move around/add letters to my real name until I'm satisfied with it. My real name is Gean so when I made a dark elf I ended up naming him Geraan which is lore-friendly since there's a dark elf named Garan. It adds a bit to the immersion when letters include a name similar to mine and not something like Ruthgard Riverstain

• 394 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:51 PM EDT

Hey -  she's a friend of mine: watch it! Lovely girl

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:56 PM EDT

That's not a bad idea...I could use my name Andrew and think up something like Anders or even Andarr...thanks for the help!

P.S- yeah, Riverstain is a pretty lame name to be honest haha

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:57 PM EDT

Just looked it up, it literally translates to "lord," something to keep in mind. Thanks!

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:58 PM EDT

Great ideas! I will definitely take these into consideration :)

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 4:00 PM EDT

How have those worked out for you?

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 4:01 PM EDT

I'll add that to the list, thank you!

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 4:01 PM EDT

Looks like I'll be doing some research on that! Thank you!

• July 22, 2015 4:04 PM EDT

You seem like your friends with all sorts of unsavory types my filthy gray-skinned acquaintance xD btw I kept reading you blog, it's pretty hard to stop but feels kinda weird to like chapter after chapter and the whole tamvault read is full of my face.

• 394 posts
    July 22, 2015 4:16 PM EDT

OK, you got me: I lied! She's a vile Nord.

There's no shame in that. You're liking but not 'Liking'? That makes no sense. 

Seriously though if you do like something just click: I do it all the time. I enjoy writing but it's still good to know that someone's actually reading my crap masterpiece

• July 22, 2015 5:12 PM EDT

Hraejr [H'r-ay-jer]

Brandhelm

Aesmir [Ace-meer]

Yngfeld [Ing-feld]

Wuustrag

Sovhalmr {Sov-al-mur}

How about those? 

• 43 posts
    July 22, 2015 5:18 PM EDT

Very interesting...

• 43 posts