Forums » General Gaming

Gaming and Strategy Guides

• 1913 posts
    July 22, 2015 11:57 AM EDT

I got the Collector's edition guide for Witcher 3... I spent 3 hours reading it an I only got past the prologue... So much....

• 394 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:06 PM EDT

Funny, I didn't find Witcher 2 that complicated. I printed out and read the manual and after that I was fine. 

• 1217 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:06 PM EDT

I love that aspect. I hope the Fallout 4 guide is that in depth, because I'm seriously considering getting one.

• 1217 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:08 PM EDT

Hm, I personally haven't played a game that has no explanation at all how to play, but I wouldn't want to either. Guides aren't cheap, though. Like Vaz said, if you're patient, all that stuff ends up on the web for free anyways XD

• 700 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:12 PM EDT

And I didn't have the manual.  It got to the point where I was quite lost and felt that I shouldn't have to read a book to figure out what everything does, so I returned it.  I actually bought The Witcher 2 because I wanted a challenging game that didn't hold my hand.  Only after a few hours did I realize that I didn't have the energy for that anymore.  

• 394 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:16 PM EDT

Now that you come to mention it I can't give you a specific example. I'm sure there were 1 or 2 though. I think. 

• 1 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:39 PM EDT

The first game guide was for TES Oblivion. It wasn't so much the gameplay information which I found most interesting, although I did use it as a reference tool, but it was the little facts about the world which I couldn't get enough of. I read that from cover to cover because it contained quite a bit of personality for a guide.

The Skyrim's guide isn't a patch on Oblivions, in my opinion. Much like the game itself...

• 1217 posts
    July 22, 2015 12:46 PM EDT

it was the little facts about the world which I couldn't get enough of.

Definitely the best part.

• 288 posts
    July 22, 2015 1:48 PM EDT

That's probably the wisest way to use them. Beat the game once on your own, only "peeking" for help on extremly hard bosses or puzzles, then "overuse" them for creativity in play.

Nowadays there are games with tons of content that is extremely hard, near impossible for one gamer to discover all on his own, unless he's bolted to the game all day long.