Forums » Elder Scrolls

My Dance with Death in Skyrim

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 2:31 PM EDT

Not sure if this has been posted already, but here goes nothing. While playing as my main character recently, I set out to find the word of power at Autumnwatch Tower. If any of you guys are familiar with the layout of this location, there happens to be a series of towers leading up to the word wall, which is guarded by a leveled-dragon. Upon arriving at said location, I climbed up one of the towers and triggered the dragon, which came swooping in at me as I readied my axe. Thinking that the dragon would fly over me and/or stop in front of me, I was not prepared for what was about to happen. The dragon magically flew right through the tower, which somehow resulted in my warrior riding on top of the dragon. Then it changed direction, causing me to fall hundreds of feet to my death. Oh, and I didn't save my game so this little fiasco set me back almost an hour of playing...*facepalm*

So to make a long story short, this was by far the most ridiculous way one of my characters has perished. Silly and outright stupid deaths are enough to make even the most patient gamer want to through his console/pc right out the window. I started this topic to see if anyone else out there has experienced anything like this, and if they are willing to share some of their outrageous experiences with death in Skyrim.

~Bodvar Bjarki

• 145 posts
    July 19, 2015 2:45 PM EDT

What a death! Most of my deaths aren't spectacular or heroic, they're just me getting mauled by a bear or bludgeoned to death by an unruly Draugr's Ebony weapon.

Being blasted into the stratosphere by a Giant is quite funny, though. It's just so abrupt, and I always laugh at the straight face that my character manages to keep even when flailing around in the air.

• 9 posts
    July 19, 2015 3:21 PM EDT

death by clipping, i thought it would be a good idea to jump into a kettle in solitude, nuf said

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 3:28 PM EDT

How could I forget that? I remember my first time playing the game and coming upon Riverwood. I saw a cart and decided to walk into it, which somehow killed me and made me start over lol

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 3:29 PM EDT

By FAR the most ridiculous way to die in Skyrim 

• 394 posts
    July 19, 2015 3:43 PM EDT
    I'm sure I've had a few but I can't remember any!

Just 1 thing: you're not allowed to Like your stuff. I did it by accident too when I first joined
    • 98 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:13 PM EDT

Not sure why you got two threads up, but I'm gonna post here too, for the lulz.

One of my funniest anecdotes in Skyrim regard death, but not my character's death, a certain Whiterun guard's death, actually. You know that one guard who, after you defeat your first dragon at the quest ''Dragon Rising'', asks you to shout so you can prove you're Dragonborn? Well, like I always do, I shouted to that guy to show him who's boss. But this time something happened. The guy fell flat on the ground automatically. No animation, no nothing, one second he was standing, a second later he was dropped on the floor lifeless. The guys who told me they were happy they had me, The Dragonborn, by their side, were now arresting me and taking me to the jail of Dragonsreach. As a heavy RP'd playthrough that was, it was pretty awkward later talking to the jarl to continue the mission, you know, coming straight outta jail.

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:19 PM EDT

I had to edit the thread and I guess it accidentally posted twice lol

I've never heard of that happening to be honest, hopefully that did not end up ruining your RP...

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:20 PM EDT

Noted. 

You can also share any funny NPC deaths that you have encountered as well!

• 485 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:21 PM EDT
    I'm gonna have to delete one of the copies of this discussion.
  • July 19, 2015 4:26 PM EDT

My weirdest death... oh I remember!! This one time I was just outside of Markarth and a dragon attacked.

When the Dragon was close to death he landed and one of my Chain Lightning Spells hit 2 horses and a guard. So after killing the Dragon I had to kill about 12 Markarth City guards, it SUCKED because I was high level illusion didn't work on them so me and Lydia had to kill all of them, when I killed the last one a SECOND dragon appeared, this one was an Elder Dragon so it took forever in Master difficulty using only Chain Lightning and I had to chase him all over the Reach because he kept attacking random bunnies and goats. 

He finally died  and as I was absorbing his soul with about 50 hp left a god damn Bear snuck up behind me and killed me. Not even a Saber Cat but BIG, UGLY, FLUFFY and SLOW motherfing Bear.

• 98 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:26 PM EDT

Ahh, I see.

And luckily it didn't ruin it. It just never happened RP-wise. 

• 145 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:33 PM EDT

Haha, I've had a moment kind of like that. I got a large bounty in Solitude, so guards started chasing after me. I ran out of the city and finally lost the guards, but the map still says there are guards on my trail, so I can't fast travel anywhere else. A group of Thalmor appear and attack me on sight, and I killed them pretty easily. Then warlocks appear, and I think a dragon, so I finally kill every enemy with just a slice of health left. While waiting to heal, a bear comes by and decides to kill me. So I have to start over again...

I ran away from the guards, etc. Then my game froze. And I had to start over again.

It was very frustrating :P

• July 19, 2015 4:37 PM EDT

Those god damn bears man!! Wtf is their problem with the Dragonborn!? ES6 better be about the friggin Bearborn or have a joinable Bear faction. After my experience I was so annoyed I TGM and got the blessing from the 7000 steps to High Hrothgar so animals don't attack you. Which was pointless because I went to bed right after that.

• 145 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:44 PM EDT

I think bears are just way too common in the Reach... I was making my way to Arkngthamz for the Aetherium Forge quest and I killed like 3 bears from Rorikstead to there. Bears are my sworn enemy 

• 145 posts
    July 19, 2015 4:58 PM EDT

No offense, of course, Bodvar's avatar. 

• 394 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:11 PM EDT
    NPC deaths you say? 1 was so good I posted a short story about it XD

http://tamrielvault.com/profiles/blogs/a-funny-thing-happened-on-th...
    • 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 8:21 PM EDT

Good to know. I wish your character the best of luck in his future travels.

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 8:22 PM EDT

Not sure how or why there are two copies...I had to go back and edit my post so that may be why there are two versions. Thank you for the help.

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 8:24 PM EDT

It sounds like someone really wanted you dead my friend hahaha!

• 43 posts
    July 19, 2015 8:25 PM EDT

None taken!