Forums » Elder Scrolls

Please tell me what race is the most similar to native Americans

• July 18, 2015 9:38 PM EDT
    Ive been wanting to make a lore-friendlt Connor AC3 BUILD, but I'm not sure what race is most similar to native Americans. Ive debated it with myself for a while, and I would like some input.
    • 1217 posts
    July 18, 2015 9:39 PM EDT

Probably Bosmer.

• July 18, 2015 9:41 PM EDT
    They do have the tribal communities, but they also have Lords and Kings, like Medeival Europe.
    • 557 posts
    July 18, 2015 9:42 PM EDT

Maybe Argonians?

• 1217 posts
    July 18, 2015 9:44 PM EDT

There's also the Orcs. Isolated, tribal, live in longhouse-esque structures. Or Argonians, like Todd said. There's enough "unkowns" with them, that you could RP it as just about anything.

• July 18, 2015 9:45 PM EDT
    Reachmen. AKA Forsworn
  • July 18, 2015 9:46 PM EDT
    Maybe. But, no offense, but I want to stick with mer and man races, since Connor is British and Native American, and making a Bosmer Nord hybrid, just make a muscular blonde Bosmer.
    • 557 posts
    July 18, 2015 9:47 PM EDT

A Breton RPed as a Forsworn type could definitely work!

• July 18, 2015 9:48 PM EDT
    Whoa this is gonna be a big discussion. Reachmen can be compared to Cherokee, with nature worship, refusal to take crap from racists, and living in Tribes/Clans.
  • July 18, 2015 9:52 PM EDT
    Something else I noticed. Look at all Forsworn in Cidna Mine. Notice how they have a reasonable tan and dark hair?hmmmm....
  • July 18, 2015 9:53 PM EDT
    So maybe a tan Breton with claw scars, dirt, and brown or black hair as a forsworn.
    • 66 posts
    July 18, 2015 9:59 PM EDT

Don't forget that forsworn aren't the good guys. And they actually side with hagravens, that hate nature, so no nature worship... More like nature defilement.

• July 18, 2015 10:02 PM EDT
    A Nord, I assume? THE REACH WILL BE OURS AGAIN!!! :)
  • July 18, 2015 10:10 PM EDT
    Actually, wait a sec while I look up hagravens on tes wiki.
  • July 18, 2015 10:15 PM EDT
    Holy crap your right! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Maybe the Forsworn are just a tribal cult?
  • July 18, 2015 10:16 PM EDT
    That's possible. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but my wi-fi is going slow, so I didn't see it until now.
  • July 18, 2015 10:19 PM EDT
    But the orcs can be the Sioux, with polygamy, being warlike, and honor playing a big part in both orc and Sioux society. But orcs use Mongolian styled armor and weapons, but we're talking society, not armor, similarities.
  • July 18, 2015 10:27 PM EDT
    Sorry if I made that confusing. I just want to make whatever race that's decided to be Native Americans also have visual traits from the race that is being an a hole to the Native American inspired race. Similar to Connor being half Native American half British.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 18, 2015 10:56 PM EDT

Check out our Lore Article over in the Lore Group comparing the Ashlander Tribes to Native Americans.

• July 18, 2015 10:59 PM EDT
    I'll go do that. But I'm talking about a RACE, not a GROUP. Though they show many resemblances, as do the Skaal, the majority of Dunmeri culture is fuedal Japanese. Thanks for the input, though.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 18, 2015 11:12 PM EDT

I don't understand your gripe?

Reachmen are a GROUP of RACIAL Bretons. Bretons are the Medieval French.

You're looking for a Tamrielic equivalent of Native Americans. Native Americans aren't a RACE of humans but a GROUP. What you're really looking for is a culture.

Skaal are animistic with a strange monotheistic bent that includes other god-like beings. They live as one with the land, have a relatively primitive society, and are isolated.

Reachmen don't revere nature, and even desecrate it by worshipping Daedra nd practicing dark magics. They're tribal, violent, and traditional.

Ashlanders are nomadic, tribal, live of the land, and practice a more traditional faith of ancestor worship.

I really think Ashlander is the most Native American culture in Tamriel. Followed by Bosmer.

• 113 posts
    July 18, 2015 11:41 PM EDT

No race in TES is similar to the Indigenous people of the Americas, unless you consider the Bosmer. But that one seems to stretch it quite a bit. From what I know, only the Nords have a cultural system that is based around praying to, and considering animals as equals. 

So if anything, the Nords. 

But for the hell of it, just go with a Redguard. 

• July 18, 2015 11:53 PM EDT
    Sorry to get any anger. I just don't like the idea of being Skaal, and a, lets say, redgaurd walks up to me and calls me a nord, and thinks I'm just another Nord, instead of addressing me as skaal. See why? I didn't want to start a fight.
  • July 18, 2015 11:57 PM EDT

Honestly there is none, Bosmer culture is pretty advanced, well they're a bit more civilized than the Orcs. 

If you're trying to keep it lore friendly you HAVE to go as dark skinned breton Forsworn. You don't really have to stick to the armor when you get better stuff but you NEED the tribal tatoos.

• July 19, 2015 12:00 AM EDT
    I disagree with the idea of NO race being similar to native Americans. So far I'm kinda leaning towards the orcs. Why? For many reasons.
    1. Referred as savages, albeit an incorrect term.
    2. Take what they need from the land, even if it isn't a religious reasons, they still respect the land.
    3. Polygamy is common in with Sioux, as is honor and warlike behavior.
    4. Have few rights.
    5. Lived in Skyrim longer than the nords, then the nords came in and made them stay in strongholds, similar to reservations, though strongholds are more independent and orcs like they're isolation.
    6. Tribal culture.
    7. Descended from mer, or Asians, but became very unique, much like Native Americans.

Just some similarities I see.