Forums » Elder Scrolls

How do you keep yourself from re-rolling?

• July 16, 2015 10:11 AM EDT

With builds I find on sites and stuff I pretty much expect just playing a couple of hours when it's finished and then making a new one. But with the ones I make myself I get frustrated when I get to that 20-30 hour mark and because of a cool fight I had with a enemy I end up wanting to make a new character.

2 nights ago on my 100% vampire(favorite build) I ran into a heavy legion armored wearing scavenger(looter?) I forget the npc name but I made a heavy armored imperial legionarre. Then last night while I was impersonating an npc with 0 combat skills some Corsairs saved my life from a friggin Gargoyle so I had to make a corsair and just killing everyone I see, no exceptions. It was fun but then today I found another really cool looking build gaaah!

I guess I'm too easily inspired... whenever I find a Briarheart I always end up wanting to play as one, even though I've done that like 5 times because they're so cool looking (topless fur armor looks exactly like Briarheart chest..minus the whole no heart thing)

How do you guys manage to go over the 30-50 hour marks?  Is it committing to the character? Having to clean up all the unfinished quests? Something like "my character set out to become thane in all the holds!"? Never ever ever grinding? 

• 131 posts
    July 16, 2015 10:19 AM EDT

Yeah, Restartitis is a dealy disease among TES fans.

Well, my only character o reach past lvl 40 was umm.. I used secret of arcana and telekinesis, it's very overpowered in term of perks.. Power, not as much.

• 288 posts
    July 16, 2015 10:40 AM EDT

The only real cure, no matter what they say, is spending time totally away from Skyrim.

After several months you can start to prime yourself by watching videos of other people playing. This will also give you build and gameplay ideas and inspirations.

After that you return with renewed zeal

• 700 posts
    July 16, 2015 12:55 PM EDT

I try to craft the personality of the character with enough depth that 50 hours in, I still care.  You could also just play DiD.  That way you would care more about your character's survival, and if it dies, make the next character on deck.  

• 694 posts
    July 16, 2015 1:00 PM EDT
    Second this. ^^

I've had a few I bailed on because I didn't go as deep with the personality as I did with the type of character I wanted to play. The initial thrill can wear off.
    • 72 posts
    July 16, 2015 1:14 PM EDT

>implying I do

• 1483 posts
    July 16, 2015 1:18 PM EDT

Worked a few times for me 

• July 16, 2015 1:21 PM EDT

Oh I usually do, but DiD isn't as dangerous when Illusion, Necromancy and Frost magic are your go-to. Most DiD characters die because of bs kill cams from bandits/vampires with extra damage 2.5.  I'm long gone by the time they have a chance to bash me in the face. Oh and Bears and Sabercats aren't an issue since the first thing I always do is get Calm and enough magicka to cast it in case I run into one of those bastards at a low level. 

• 98 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:59 PM EDT

Happens to me all the time. I second the idea of taking some time away and then creating a new character. The idea of the personality may work occassionally but to me it's rarely enough. Like for one of my most recent characters I made this really in-depth backstory and personality but only got to level 15. Guess the play-style (sword n' board/archery warrior) being not so original could've been a factor but I don't know. I think my main reason for me doing this it's because I get bored of my character's look. Like I have the tendency to look at my character every 5 seconds and after a while I wanna change his appearance again. And as fellow console players may know to do that you have to take your ass all the way to the Ragged Flagon and pay a fee of 1,000 to do that. And then I reach a point I just wanna start a new character. It's a never-ending cycle for me sadly.

• 585 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:03 PM EDT

Roleplay! If you've just played a very combat focuesed build, make a RP-heavy character, still have some combat, but enjoy the quainter things Skyrim has to offer: mead, books and NPC backstories etc.

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 5:44 PM EDT

I got to level 81 using that glitch.

• 47 posts
    July 16, 2015 10:47 PM EDT
    I struggle too. I like the idea presented about doing DiD and moving on.

Imperial necromancer
    Bosmer werewolf
    Breton thief
    Altmer vampire
    Orc barbarian
    Nord knight
    Redguard mercenary

Those are all things I currently want to try. It makes it tough to focus on one.
    • 288 posts
    July 17, 2015 12:54 AM EDT

Good.....good, my young apprentice

• July 17, 2015 1:09 AM EDT

Yeah I started doing that  (enjoying the little things) when I found the Transmute Mineral Ore spell, not only does it give me a way to make decent money without going into dungeons but it also helps me level up smithing so fast it doesn't even feel like a grind. And since I'm always a mage it just works well with whatever job related story my characters have.

• 224 posts
    July 17, 2015 6:25 AM EDT

Hello, I want to say Im not very fun of using Builds to play, but I like to read them, I think in my character like someone who is evolving , through the game play, but always focused in his personality and favorites skills, I have 1572 hours of gameplay in Skyrim through years and I´ve been never bored, because of the mods, I only finished the Vanilla game and Dawnguard but not Dragonborn yet, after try every skill, and focus on what I liked, and try almost every mod I liked, just a few months ago I finally have a conclusion about my character, he is an Imperial, merchant and necromantic, a bastard look Imperial,

I want to recommend you this mod, its good for role play, its about getting experience points doing almost every thing, the good thing isn't an automatic level up skill, you earn XP points by discovering new places, doing quest, stealing, killing and even eat, the good thing you can choose what skill you level up, and when, because works by a custom menu, so If you start a new character you can focus only in the skills you wanted, I hope could help someone

The mod names SXP - Skyrim Experience Mod
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40899/?

• 77 posts
    July 17, 2015 10:59 AM EDT

I roll multiple characters at the same time and switch between them when I get bored of one or the other.  Currently I'm running the following characters...

Altmer Pyromancer

Imperial Necromancer/Alchemist

Nord Two-handed werewolf based on the awesome Vargr character build

Khajiit swordsman/assassin

And I plan on rolling up a Vancian mage this weekend, that build looks like crazy fun.

• 743 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:03 PM EDT

I'm going through the exact same thing, Naeg, and holy crap is it a God awful thing. I'm also searching for ideas to cure restartasis, but to no avail. Hopefully more people will post ideas.

• July 19, 2015 5:23 PM EDT

I am currently 35 hours into the vampire I'm using and my theory is proving correct.

My theory was that the reason I got sick of characters and wanted to restart was because I felt I worked for hours and hours and my reward was the completed the build, maxed out skills and everything unlocked, then I got to thinking... now what? Oh that build looks cool! *RESTART*

But this time I started as the build I was going for, my someone poorly written Blooded Vampire right at the beginning of the game and since I felt like I was playing the character as it was intended I didn't go crazy spamming soul trap on corpses or spamming muffle while I walked around towns.  At the moment that I'm level 35 (build armor and all started at level 5) and no skill is over 75, which means there's still room for the character to grow. because instead of starting off with the mentality "I must reach level 30 for Ebony Armor, I have to finish DB questline for my dagger and Thieves Guild for Nightingale armor"  my character never had a metaphorical roof or a metaphorical "you must be this tall to ride" sign.  

If that makes any sense. Basically my solution for me was find something where you feel like you're playing as the build from early on and not 20 hours in. In my case I had to do it myself, even if it only works for me.

• 743 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:28 PM EDT

Lol, I try my best but to no avail. Whenever I chose an armor or weapon set, I always say to myself " I have to complete this questline so I can get this piece of armor", which is most likely half of the entire restartasis disease. The other half I have yet to figure out.

• 131 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:30 PM EDT
    Well, finding something "new" works for me, try Cooking.
  • July 19, 2015 5:35 PM EDT

Why don't you try a making a beggar build that only uses iron daggers and clothes because everything else is too heavy, but dreams of one day being married to a rich and beautiful older woman and being as famous as the Hero of Kvatch? Because The Oblivion Crisis was the only book his prostitute mother ever read to him and he's illiterate. You start off with everything you need :P

• July 19, 2015 5:37 PM EDT

I always cook! The thing is I always end up as a vampire so cooking starts to look silly. The only characters I have that I can enjoy cooking are the non-combat ones xD

• 131 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:42 PM EDT
    Also the stamina regen is unreal.
    • 743 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:49 PM EDT

It's a great idea, just not my taste. I'd like my permanent character to be a rogue/assassin variant.

• 743 posts
    July 19, 2015 5:50 PM EDT

I cook quite a bit already, Leon. But thanks for the suggestion!