Forums » The Lounge

Euphemisms - If You Know What I Mean

• 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 10:42 AM EDT

Part of being a great writer is the ability to weave implicit meanings into your works, and there is no better way of doing just that than stringing together a phrase, lacing it with double entendre, and introducing it to the general public. Euphemisms are a great way to communicate the things you want to say without having to say them, and they can be obvious or subtle, rude or respectful. 

What I'm looking for are the funniest, obscurest, most memorable euphemisms you've heard. Hell, make some up if you want to, and leave our Vault Community guessing at their meaning. Here are a few more frequent ones, so you know what I mean: 

- Kick the bucket
    - Make the beast with two backs
    - She's got a bun in the oven
    - Light's on, but nobody's home 
    - Take care of her (For those of us who were part of the mafia in the 50's) 

Get thinking! Meanwhile I'm going to go give my Argonian maid a hard time... if you know what I mean.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 10, 2015 11:02 AM EDT

Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Jerry-rig, or the less often used bunny-rig.

Peanut gallery.

My great grandmother's favorite "Oh my lans".

Tastes like its from Michigan". I doubt anyone will get this one.

• 367 posts
    July 10, 2015 11:27 AM EDT

I've only got the ones I use in my story. They are all based on Skyrim in one way or another.

Oh for Howling out loud!!!

Let the cat see the Skeever!!!

Like deer caught in the coach Lamps

There's more than one way to skin a deer

If it moves, bite it!!!       If it don't, bite it just in case!!!!

The difference between Aela in a temper and a Daedra Lord?  You can at least TRY to negotiate with a Daedra Lord.

• 485 posts
    July 10, 2015 12:02 PM EDT
    I think a euphemism is replacing an offensive term or word with something less so. What you're describing here seems closer idioms.
    • 367 posts
    July 10, 2015 12:10 PM EDT

Ah... Well that's a werewolf for you.

• July 10, 2015 1:11 PM EDT

Double Entendre

• 100 posts
    July 10, 2015 2:45 PM EDT
    Beat me to it
    • 71 posts
    July 10, 2015 2:59 PM EDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0VBlW64nY

"Fire off some knuckle children"

• 113 posts
    July 10, 2015 3:04 PM EDT

Milkdrinker. 

• 1217 posts
    July 10, 2015 3:15 PM EDT

Today I learned that milkdrinker actually makes a lot of sense as an insult. Considering the symptoms of lactose intolerance, and how much richer the unprocessed milk available to drink in Tamriel could be, it's easy to see how Nords would think of it as for the weak (or as weakeninging).

• 367 posts
    July 10, 2015 4:32 PM EDT

That's a bit much. I said I was sorry. It's not easy trying to fit in you know. Have you tried typing with 6inch claws? The space bar is murder...

That's not a silver sword is it?

• 394 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:26 PM EDT

I think in the right context you can make a euphemism  - or double entendre: are they the same thing? - out of almost anything.

"'Great writer'? I could do some great writing on her!"

"' Implicit meanings'? I'll give her some implicit meanings!"

" 'Vault Community'? I'd love to get into her vault community!" 

etc. :)

• 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:28 PM EDT

I was getting confused at this, but it seems some idioms can also be taken for euphemisms, and vice versa - 'kick the bucket' is acceptable as both, for example. Although yes, euphemisms generally replace more uncomfortable terms, so idioms like 'it's raining cats and dogs' probably wouldn't qualify. 

TL;DR English is confusing. 

As long as I can discern a somewhat provocative meaning from the phrases posted here, I'm happy. Now, I'm going to go choke a nun, if you know what I mean. 

• 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:32 PM EDT

Despite not being a phrase, I think this almost qualifies. *wipes sweat off brow*

• 394 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:37 PM EDT

Have you been reading Shinbira's latest chapter Fishdout? 

"You have lovely feet" I don't think it was feet he was thinking about so much...

our bodies meshing together in love's embrace 'nuff said? 

• 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:37 PM EDT

Yes. A thousand times yes. 

• 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:40 PM EDT

Not sure these all qualify as euphemisms, but they were great to read nonetheless. Well done for putting a Skyrim twist on popular phrases. 

• July 10, 2015 5:41 PM EDT

I'm confused...

Lucy Lu and a symbolism of swords and sheaths....hawt. 

• 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:46 PM EDT

Hmm, these are thinkers. Again, I don't think all of them are euphemisms.

'Tastes like it's from Michigan' sounds like one, though I don't know what it means (and I'm not sure if I want to 

• July 10, 2015 5:48 PM EDT

Here's one: "Take you out behind the woodshed."

Also, "Piss Poor" 

"Bless your heart" 

• 394 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:52 PM EDT
    Bashing the Bishop
    Spanking the monkey
    Spending a penny
    Doing a no. 2
    Bombing Vietnam (sorry!)
    Tying the knot
    Rogering

For more: Roger's Profanisaurus! (Google it)
    • 16 posts
    July 10, 2015 5:57 PM EDT

All this english is hurting me. I actually think those do work as euphemisms, as well as double entendres - I'm laughing, so very well done. 

I have been keeping up with your blog; how very cruel of you to trick your readers like that! 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 10, 2015 6:12 PM EDT

Everything from Michigan tastes like dirt. Potatoes taste like dirt, lettuce tastes like dirt, tomatoes taste like dirt. If it comes from the ground in Michigan, it tastes like dirt. Even the water.

Never mind. You question the validity of my euphemisms, so I won't explain anything.

• 394 posts
    July 10, 2015 6:32 PM EDT
    Hehe - sorry! Artistic licence?
  • July 10, 2015 7:08 PM EDT

Women prisoners,  Banged in the slammer.

At the Dentist, Open wide please

Immunisations, Pull your jeans to one side, bend slightly and don't worry if you feel a little prick, made even more strange when the doctors a woman.

And of course the old sporting world of Golf classic  "Some weeks Nick likes to
    use Fanny, other weeks he prefers to do it by himself."

Not forgetting our Transatlantic cousins we have,  "You'd eat beaver if you could get it." 

There you go a few, double entendre