Forums » General Gaming

Is Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin worth it?

• 268 posts
    July 9, 2015 2:05 PM EDT

*Note: Possible minor spoilers for both Dark Souls games ahead* 

Ah, Dark Souls. Nothing quite compared to that moment I killed Gwyn with my shiny spear. I loved every second of my first complete DS playthrough, and have been craving that feeling once again after recently watching one of the nerdy guys at the local CEX play Scholar of the First Sin. Seeing that £24 price tag on Amazon only made that prospect all the more enticing, as I got nearly 100 hours out of DS1.

While I only completed the first game once (though I did have around 6 or so characters who made it to different parts of the game), I still found it very enjoyable. I've been meaning to go back and play my favourite build on NG+ (a turtle in Silver Knight attire, light rolling after a serious investment into Endurance coupled with Havel's and RoFaP), simply because the game is so darn memorable. I just could never bring myself to experiment with other combat styles in DS1, and sorta always reverted to my classic turtle style of play. So I'm unsure of how much enjoyment I'd get out of the new remaster.

I've researched the game a fair bit. I've seen a variety of opinions on it, which leaves me with the conclusion that although a good game, DS2 is not quite as good as DS1.

My main question is whether the remastered version is worth buying. I'm a big fan of the Souls games (though I've never really managed to complete them more than once) and thought I'd get some opinions from other Dark Souls fans on the blog (I know you're there, somewhere) before making a final decision.

Is Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin worth it? Or should I just force myself to return to Dark Souls 1 and give a different playstyle a try?

• 113 posts
    July 9, 2015 2:23 PM EDT

I'll be honest, I never liked Dark Souls. That being said, Dark Souls 2 is where it is at. 

I don't have a nextgen console, but I'll probably just buy DS3 when that comes instead of Scholar. Seems like a waste of time to me since I got all the DLC on last gen. 

• 268 posts
    July 9, 2015 3:08 PM EDT
    So you enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more? Why?
    • 113 posts
    July 9, 2015 3:59 PM EDT

Because it had slightly better graphics. Better controls, and a better combat system(albeit similar.) 

I just found it easier to play. I am not even a Dark Souls fan either. I hate the series but as I got stronger I found my liking for it. 

Plus the multiplayer is better in DS2. 

Also, I really hate DS1. Shitty game. No offence. 

• 1913 posts
    July 9, 2015 4:05 PM EDT

Scholar of the first sin is weird cause it changes a lot of things in big ways

Heide nights are finally in Heide tower, they don't simply disappear upon killing them. They added a dragon in there right before fighting Ornst- the Dragonslayer, the lighting is different, you fight way more enemies, boss fights that were previously hell were made slightly easier and easier enemies or areas were made to be harder.

And it adds a new possible ending to the game where you reject the crown and walk away...

• July 9, 2015 4:14 PM EDT

I could never get into Dark Souls 2. The world is just kind of stitched together with no thought put in at all. Dark Souls 1's world design is absolutely amazing with the dozens of shortcuts that connect everything. Not to mention the locations actually make sense, there's no "Take this elevator under the sea only to find yourself at a seashore cave."

Also I felt like most of the difficulty of Dark Souls 2 was just "Throw more shit at them!" Rather then having good enemy placement.

• 558 posts
    July 9, 2015 5:25 PM EDT

I haven't played SotFS yet, but I have played the original Das2.

Dark Souls 2 is my favorite game ever, even more than Dark Souls. SotFS apparently changes and improves on a lot of things, including the lighting and enemy placement.

I would definitely pick up SotFS, especially at a discount price.

• 558 posts
    July 9, 2015 5:27 PM EDT

That first paragraph is so true.

Why does everybody forget about Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Blighttown, Duke's Archives, and New Londo when talking about enemy placement?

• July 9, 2015 9:06 PM EDT
    I've never actually gone through Blighttown. Always took the shortcut.
    • 268 posts
    July 10, 2015 2:05 AM EDT
    Alright, it seems like SOTFS is worth it. Thanks guys!
    • 113 posts
    July 10, 2015 12:44 PM EDT

Dude, just wait for part 3 to release.