Forums » Elder Scrolls

Racial Harmony in Tamriel: Is it Possible?

• July 8, 2015 2:30 PM EDT
    Only for the people who benefit in some way by being equal. They can pick themselves out of the mud. I'm not carrying them in the name of social justice. Society is a mob, in every sense of the word.
    • 485 posts
    July 8, 2015 2:55 PM EDT
    Segregation breeds ignorance of those outside of your group. That ignorance eventually becomes hatred and suspicion of outsiders.
    • 1217 posts
    July 8, 2015 2:58 PM EDT

Hate...leads to suffering.

• July 8, 2015 2:58 PM EDT
    Good. Let them be outside and not inside.
    • 485 posts
    July 8, 2015 3:20 PM EDT
    But inside youd get to know them better and realize perhaps you're not so different and there is little to fear. At that point the walls can come down and we can apply our combined energy into something more productive than finding new ways to destroy people for being different.
    • 113 posts
    July 8, 2015 3:27 PM EDT

Funny coming from the guy who thinks Nords are the main problem...

• July 8, 2015 3:27 PM EDT
    They are inside, and look what is happening. People don't like being forced to play together. Intergration has always been the policy. Now is a time for change. And Ulfric will do it in skyrim.
    • 113 posts
    July 8, 2015 3:33 PM EDT

What about Redguards? I'm pretty sure nobody wants to break bread with them. They are probably one of the worst races in all of Tamriel. They don't give a crap about anyone, most are likely to despise you for being in the way, and to top it off. Redguards aren't even peaceful. Endless conflict can be seen throughout their histories, and not one Redguard I heard of has ever been an advocate for peace.

How is anyone going to see eye to eye with them? 

• 485 posts
    July 8, 2015 3:36 PM EDT
    I suppos I've picked on the Nords enough for now. Sure, let's disuse the red guards for a bit.
  • July 8, 2015 4:03 PM EDT

Yeah, endless conflict pretty much sums them up.

The thing with them though is that they've never shown interest in expansion. They've never invaded another province (excluding the original Warrior Wave, of course). And they also don't have a singular race that they want to eradicate. So just stay out of Hammerfell and you'll do fine. The Crowns will continue to not give a shit about you and keep to themselves. The Forebears, who probably became less trusting of foreign powers after the Great War, may want to trade a little bit, but that's about it (but like I said, the Forebears could've become less open to foreign influence). That's pretty much all the foreign interest they have.

• 113 posts
    July 8, 2015 4:20 PM EDT

What about the Orsimer, whom they belittle with reenactments of by-gone battles? Yeah, they don't invade other provinces. Poor old Orsinium eh? Who got sacked by an unknown force in the 4th era. Who else could this force have been if not the Redguards, and Bretons? 

With the latest invasion from the Dominion I am certain they have full interest in wanting to retaliate against the High Elves now. 

The only reason why they can't expand is because half Hammerfell is always after the other dreadful half. 

There is going to be a lot of trouble trying to convince Reguards to live in peaceful harmony with the other races alright. You said it yourself, the Forebears are not welcome to any foreign influences, and the Crowns don't give a shite about anyone other than themselves.

I can't see it happening. 

• July 8, 2015 5:05 PM EDT

Admittedly I did forget about Orsinium. The first Orsinium was a very aggressive province. They were justified in destroying it. Nova Orsinium was the peaceful one that didn't deserve to be destroyed and in fact is probably one of my favorite political stories in TES, but I won't go into that right now.

Regarding the plays, I never said they aren't a people that revere their warriors to the point of almost worship; I said they don't want to eradicate any of the races. And they don't.

No one can say what it'll happen. Maybe they'll join the fight against the Dominion, maybe they won't.

I did choose my words carefully there: they've never shown any interest in expansion. I'm not saying they don't have any interest, but we have never seen any. Which more than we can say for a majority of the races.

• 224 posts
    July 19, 2015 2:37 AM EDT

I dont think so, lol, were should be the war and conflicts :(, armorers would be dead of hungry and swords and axes would be put on the walls like ornamentation, I dont like that medieval fantasy world :/

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 12:24 AM EDT

You know, there's a fairly wealthy Dunmer farmer nearby who basically says that if his people would stop complaining and work hard like he did their conditions would improve.

• 485 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:39 AM EDT

True, there is such a farmer. But a system of oppression is more effective when just a few of the oppressed are allowed to succeed. It allows the oppressors claim the system is fair when it clearly isnt. 

• July 28, 2015 2:02 AM EDT

A bit late to answering this, but it would have been around 250 years ago.

• 558 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:43 AM EDT

I think the Khajiit meant Elsweyr :P

• 743 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:52 AM EDT

Exactlty, Shor. I'd rather there be conflict between races then the Thalmor achieve there goal of one culture, religion, and government. It's just not worth peace, in my opinion.

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:14 PM EDT

You know, I find that what's going on with the Gray Quarter to be as much the fault of the Dunmer as the Nords. Look at Riften! The different Races there get along quite well. Why is that not the case in Windhelm? "Because Ulfric is a super racist!", right? Ha ha, WRONG!!! When the other races were allowed to take refuge in The Rift, they were told they were expected to work hard. When the Dunmer were allowed into Windhelm, no such expectations were set. This inevitably led to most of the Nords there viewing the Dunmer as a race of lazy bums. The treatment the Dunmer got only grew worse from then on out. If they had worked hard even though they weren't expected to, who knows? It doesn't help that the Dunmer are practically trying to turn the Gray Quarter into a little slice of Morrowind. The Nords consider that an insult to their city, their culture, and to their heroes who built the place.

• 394 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:27 PM EDT

And your evidence for this claim is...?

• 394 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:05 PM EDT

Peace in our time? No

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 8:39 PM EDT

Various in game books. Yes, I read every book I could find involving the subject.

• July 28, 2015 9:19 PM EDT
    Windhelm was built using snow elves as slaves. The very city is a monument to victory and dominance over elves.
  • July 28, 2015 9:21 PM EDT
    Nirn is supposed to be an Arena, right? So people fight and ascend to godhood? Harmony would be against that, yo.

I know this isn't a fresh discussion, but I just thought about that. Very interesting.
    • 184 posts
    July 29, 2015 3:53 AM EDT

But many Dunmer are still pissed off with the Empire for abandoning them during the Oblivion Crisis.