Forums » Elder Scrolls

Does anyone like the emperor system?

• 24 posts
    July 7, 2015 12:15 AM EDT

***SPOILERS***

Okay, now this goes both ways - Oblivion and Skyrim. Does anyone actually like the way that the emperors are augmented you could say, into the game?

Number one - you meet Emperor Uriel Septim VII, follow him a bit, chitty-chatty with him, and he's immediately slain... ten minutes after you meet the man.

And number two - you get a bit into the Dark Brotherhood's quest-line, find the Katariah, find Emperor Titus Mede II, and you kill him... not even five minutes upon finally reaching your highness.

Now, is it me, or do very important people, such as an emperor, seem to drop like flies around the "savour of all man-kind", hmm?

And another thing, Baurus, a former blades-man, sends an escaped prisoner off with the Amulet of Kings and 'trusts' you enough to find his grand-master and give a very valuable, very old peice of jewelry that has the ability to save all of man-kind and stop a foul demon from entering Tamriel in his true and terrible form and killing everyone in his way. Does that seem right to you? All because the emperor said so?

The same could go reversed with Titus Mede. So, I reach The Katariah, find the Emperor himself and murder him in cold blood... stealing his soul in the process and pocketing it before any unwary eyes may seem to pry through. I exit through the door and enter Solitude, the proud and prosperous capital city of Skyrim only to find that I can get away with the Emperor's murder for only a mere 1000 gold coins? Does any of this seem like loyalty to you, or just a way to get out of hours of paperwork?

-B

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 7, 2015 12:57 AM EDT

I don't understand the question.

• 113 posts
    July 7, 2015 1:02 AM EDT

I get it, and no. It's just poor game mechanics. Bethesda didn't think most of the game through enough. 

• July 7, 2015 1:19 AM EDT

Do I like the way they're implemented? Uriel's death gets the plot going, I guess. I mean it's not Martin or Gaiman levels of storytelling, but it works fine.

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:17 AM EDT

They should have made it so that killing the emperor gives you a 50,000 gold bounty.

• 743 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:35 AM EDT

Whut?

• July 28, 2015 3:32 AM EDT

I get what you're saying, yeah the whole emperor thing just doesn't seem right to me neither. I find it ridiculous how the Hero of Kvatch and the Dragonborn do ridiculous quest for lazy citizens but we never get  a chance to do quests for someone that actually matters, like the god damn Emperor. I loved that in Oblivion you got quests from Janus Hassildor, a competent ruler + vampire!