Forums » Elder Scrolls

Changes i´d like to see in Skyrim, through MOD’s or DLC’s:

• 133 posts
    March 9, 2012 2:45 PM EST

Skyrim is the best RPG i’ve ever played in my life, and not only because of graphics and sceneries. This game takes to the extreme the golden rule of any RPG: simplicity in controls and interface, complexity, credibility and variety in world and character interaction. But Skyrim is not the perfect game - it’s not even the best game we can have right now. When the creation kit was launched, jcalberta posted in forum the discussion “is killable children the only essential mod so far?” and i addressed that question only superficially, because then i hadn’t grasped entirely the nature of this game. Now i think i have, so that’s the changes i think could improve the game. These changes are oriented to strengthen internal world coherence and character verisimilitude, inproving role playing experience. Maybe I should have posted it on Modders Workshop, but then there is no way in the world a pre techno like me will ever be able to mod. Only some of them could come through mod´s anyway, others are so complex they can only come through DLC’s, and others may as well be impossible or undesirable from some angle i just can´t see right now:

1 – Make the Forsworn, the Thalmor and the Silver Hands factions you can join to, and give them adequate questlines;

2 – Give the bards college a real questline, so that artistic oriented characters become viable. Maybe build others peace oriented factions and questlines. It’s not always that you’re in the mood to kill something. Sometimes you just want to be quiet and enjoy life;

3 – Give to each of the gods who have temples in Skyrim a quest, with a corresponding artifact as its reward, so that ‘good’ characters can also get valuable items;

4 – Make the vampires a secret faction, with its own questline, like the brotherhood. They can be even enemies;

5 - Make each faction take, to a degree compatible with its nature, a side in the civil war, and make your choosing a side with either the Imperials or the Stormcloaks affects your relationship with each faction and change their disposition towards you, for better or worse;

6 – Build a faction mechanism similar to that of Fallout New Vegas, with two separate reputations:

a-     a general rep that affects everyone in the world, including unaffiliated NPC´s, displaying your fame or infamy, scaled so that you go from a nobody to a hero (or a villain), and having people around to comment on that;

b-     a faction specific rep, scaled so that your status go through the stages: hated – disliked – despised – neutral – accepted – liked – idolized, with each faction, causing people affiliated to that faction to favor, to ignore or to attack you;

7 – Make each faction take notice of your general rep, as well as your rep with friendly and unfriendly factions, and change their disposition towards you accordingly, including the greetings dialogues.

8 – Make the choosing of a race really matters, making it impossible, or at least very problematic, to join certain factions due to your race. Create, for instance, penalties for a character who joins a faction not compatible or not friendly to his/her race, going from some harsh comments up to setting limits to quest taking and quest rewards;

9- Build small four-perk trees for all racial abilities, including werewolves (since vampires already have theirs) awarding perks that increase slightly their utility, each 15 levels or so, making viable for us to role-play without having to take main quest, but still having some useful skills, to compensate for the loss of the ability to shout.

• 4 posts
    March 9, 2012 3:18 PM EST

some good suggestions here, i would like to see a lot of these happen. i really miss rep from games like fall out. sometimes i feel like i just want to kill every guard who doesn't realize that i'm not only a thane/thief or certain race but a one powerful killer ready to take off their head if they don't recognize and show respect.

all theses things would be much more involving and make skyrim better.

my only concern would be that with the crime system needing witnesses, how would that affect gaining rep? leaving witnesses? maybe an option to get them low on health and then tell them to scram and tell their bosses who you are and what you've done.

it would be cool also to sabotage your own faction without them knowing it or something too. make that really hard though. spy games and all.

• 856 posts
    March 9, 2012 3:24 PM EST

All excellent ideas.  The whole idea of having various factions, and then making many of them joinable is genius.   They should've really expanded this idea in Skyrim, hopefully we'll see this as DLC.   The mechanism is already in place and some mods already make it possible to 'join' or be members of other factions; I haven't seen much questline related material, unfortunately.

I'm really hoping we'll see some bard's college stuff in a DLC.  Last time I checked, the existing bard questline was broken (rewards not actually working).  Some musical instruments with abilities would be good to see too.  There's some mods out there touching on this subject, but I think the biggest jump will be with DLC.  I have been saving a bard character idea for a while - waiting for this content.

I would like to see a larger variety of spells.  Even improved versions (using more magicka) would be a start.

I also would like to see some re-working of the perk trees.  Although many of the trees need some work, I would especially like to see changes in the lock-picking perk tree.  Perhaps change the name of the skill to security skill with only a perk or two relating to picking locks.  Keep the other perks plus add new ones, such as, an ability to disarm the various traps, a ranked set trap skill, some surveillance ability, etc.

More variety of existing gear would be cool to see.  I've seen some 'tayloring' mods, but I haven't tried any of them yet.  In addition to clothes, I would like to see more variety of weapon and armor designs, mainly just for appearance sake, but minor changes to their stats would be more welcome.

Thrown weapons.  This should be easy.  We've already seen thrown weapons in FallOut:NV.  Of course this may required a new skill.

Spears and other pole-arms.  Spears would be nice, but only if they did it right.  They have to get this working right before we will ever see mounted combat.

I'm sure we'll see most of this stuff (and more not mentioned) with DLC (or mods).

• 7 posts
    March 9, 2012 3:30 PM EST
    I really like this Idea, like you said Skyrim isn't perfect. Something like this would really help. Another thing would be to bring back spell creation: first have the three types of spells (Runes, Concentration Spells, and "Thrown" Spells), Then choose the power levels and stuff like that. But not just the regular elements but things like shouts or conditions (instantly downed state, poison, freezing), I find the shouts interesting because making a Giant fly into the air by stepping on a rune would be cool.
    • 952 posts
    March 9, 2012 3:37 PM EST

You got it perfectly right, all of these points would make Tamriel a more realistic place with more action, adventure, and here and there some dissapointments because of you having trouble with racists.

• 133 posts
    March 9, 2012 4:46 PM EST

Dead right about lockpicking. Never wasted a single perk point on it, and that never stopped me from entering any door or openning any safe. I have a thief/assassin character right now, and i'm still not planing to waste any points in lockpicking, be it good roleplaying or not. The reward is only a little more gold, and it will come exactly when you don't need gold that much anymore. That's a skill tree they could just wipe out if they aren't going to make it better.

• 133 posts
    March 9, 2012 4:56 PM EST

I would like to see some new spells too, as well have the ability to make my own spells like we did in Oblivion. But there has to be some clear limits to spell effects and potency, otherwise the game can be unbalanced in favor of magic using characters. I remember i never played with a non magic character in Oblivion for a good reason - the spells were just devastating and i just couldn't stand not being able to use them. Also the life of a exclusive melee fighter was not so confortable, and you couldn't even think about using archery as your sole weapon - certain death. Skyrim is way more balanced, and you can roleplay as a strict magic hating nord warrior without fear of being in the weaker side of a match.