Forums » The Lounge

Why do people have 'user names'?

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 8:52 AM EDT

This is something that has always puzzled me...

I've been on forums and - even before that - bulletin boards (remember them?) since the Internet first got started, and it has never entered my head to sign up with anything other than my name. It was the name I was given at birth, get called by 'in real life' (as if that's someone different to 'online') so why wouldn't I get called by name on a site such as The Tamriel Vault?

Note: this isn't about why you chose the user name you did? There are already threads about that, as a quick search will find,. I'm not interested why you chose your user name, I'm interested in why you want to have a user a name at all.

People talk about anonymity or security, but - really - the fact that you all know that my name is Paul doesn't mean anything. There are 1,524,843 Paul's in the USA alone (Source: Howmanyofme.com) so I don't exactly feel that I'm under some sort of 'threat', even if someone here had the desire to harm me *(which I seriously doubt)

Genuinely I don't get it.... so please enlighten me 

• July 4, 2015 9:00 AM EDT
    Because I could google your real name and cross that with an email address, and your location. I guess if you're really good, you could find someone by their ip address.
    • 739 posts
    July 4, 2015 9:06 AM EDT

It's just fun to be known by a completely different name I guess...

It would be pretty boring if everyone here was known by unremarkable everyday names like Bill, Frank, Dan... etc...

It's all just part of the escapism, the same reason why 95% of people don't use their own photograph for their avatar.

That and 95% of people are also butt ugly to behold...

....oh, hai!

• 622 posts
    July 4, 2015 9:19 AM EDT
    I just hate my real name :p
    • 367 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:15 AM EDT

If I used my real name and kept harking on about being a werewolf then I'll get locked up. Mention the fact that I'm a ARGONIAN Werewolf and everyones ok with that. Go figure that out.... I just can't mention TES games without adding Sotek. I even use that for my steam account. I have my real life and my TES life.

• 367 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:16 AM EDT

And just what is wrong with your real name Tae?

• 145 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:31 AM EDT
    My real name is pretty unique. Other than that, I don't know. I don't use this username for everything. I guess it just seems fitting to use an Argonian name that I liked for my username on a TES based site.
  • July 4, 2015 10:35 AM EDT

Well this is strange, because when I signed up to The Skyrim Blog, (as was) I used my own name, Russell, it was only after noticing that almost everyone else had a handle, or user name, and I felt like an oddball (still do on occasion lol). So I decided on Bonelord in honour of the very first creature ever to kill me when I began Elder scrolls all those years ago. 

• 557 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:42 AM EDT

I think Mason said it best, it's part of the escapism. We don't come here and hold everyday formal conversations (usually), we come here to be complete nerds and obsess over a few games.

A lot of people just don't want their real life to spill into that, and that's fine. Hell, when real life does spill into things then we usually hold it as taboo here 

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:53 AM EDT

If you're that interested, I'll give you my address 'Shor' - but what would you do with it?

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:54 AM EDT

But you use your real name on Facebook...

I don't see the difference really 

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:55 AM EDT

You mean this site isn't 'real life'?

I have no life except for this site 

• 557 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:56 AM EDT

...touché. 

• 739 posts
    July 4, 2015 10:58 AM EDT

Lol! Facebook is a completely different story...

You'd get locked up if you turned up on Facebook calling yourself "Draugr Murderboss Deathking"!

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:01 AM EDT

Maybe 

But I've heard people justify their use of weird user names on forum sites on the grounds of 'personal security' then their Facebook page has real name, location, photos, job details, family detail etc.

That makes no sense to me

• 367 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:01 AM EDT

I have a life... It's an Argonian one. (Even the wife calls me a hissy reptile )

• 739 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:03 AM EDT

Facebook is designed to connect you to friends and family though...

I don't go round to my grans house and show her my character build collection!

• 557 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:04 AM EDT

Do it. 

• 40 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:08 AM EDT

- "People talk about anonymity or security, but - really - the fact that you all know that my name is Paul doesn't mean anything. There are 1,524,843 Paul's in the USA alone"

I think its precisely that. It takes more to stand out in the virtual world. In real life I would have your face, voice and mannerisms to connect with your name. In the virtual world "Paul" will stand out less.

• 739 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:10 AM EDT

& Paul

"personal security"  =  "embarassed"

imo

• July 4, 2015 11:17 AM EDT
    I don't know. Credit card fraud? Maybe send you a gift or something. Something cool, like a hat maybe.
    • 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:24 AM EDT

On the other hand, using real names does somewhat curb daft behaviour...

I'm on a forum which is extremely locally based - I don't imagine it would be very hard for people to figure out where I live and ummm... pay me a visit. It does mean that I tend to behave myself, especially when there are some pretty tough looking characters on there!

I'm with Ben on this. I couldn't care less if people associate me with this or any other site I'm on. In fact I actually want people to associate me with this site, as I happen to be rather proud of it (if that doesn't sound too nerdy)

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:25 AM EDT

Exactly. It a completely ridiculous idea

• 773 posts
    July 4, 2015 11:30 AM EDT

The other thing that feels kinda weird about some user names is when you come to speak to people via PM or even on the forums.

I'm fine calling people 'Mason' or 'Tae' or even 'Emer', but when people have more strange names it becomes more problematic.

I mean exactly how does one address 'Curse Never Dying'? Is it 'Curse', or a more formal 'Mr Dying'?

And some of the names that lurkers use are ridiculous. Someone signed up with the user name 'You don't need to know'. How would you even address such a person?