Forums » Elder Scrolls

Shout Delay.........Why the hell did they do it?

• 168 posts
    July 1, 2015 10:18 PM EDT

No, I like being able to pre-charge shouts using shields. It's a good mechanic and makes sense to have, but it doesn't work exactly the same when blocking with something that isn't a shield, it seems a bit off.

But anyway, I think the delay on shout activation is so you can use multiple levels of the shout, like with Call of Valor for instance, the first and second levels of that shout are actually really useful, or say you want less cooldown rather than a more potent effect. 

• 1483 posts
    July 2, 2015 5:49 AM EDT

Powers don't have casting animation. Shouts do. 

• 20 posts
    July 2, 2015 6:22 PM EDT

By 'not intentional', I just meant that I don't think the devs sat down and consciously decided to make it impossible to shout and swing your sword at the same time.  

I *do* think they intentionally decided to give shouting an animation - no doubt because the game is all about shouts.  Then they were stuck with the mutual exclusivity of shouting and completing certain other actions.  (I guess you could say they intentionally decided that the benefit of animating the act of shouting outweighed the negative of not being able to do it all the time.)

Of course, we may never know what was going on in their minds. 

• 52 posts
    July 2, 2015 9:09 PM EDT
    LoL!
    Shouts have a cool down to prevent the Dragonborn from being overpowered. To bring balance.
    I'm not a fan of it myself. Because of how long my favorite shouts take to recharge, I don't rely on them that much.
    Imagine though to be able to mix the first words of the most useful shouts. Without no cool down or silly glitch.
    That should be a good option added especially as you head end game.

I can see about the sore throat logic. I'd be worried about straining your voice. It can hurt. . . At first.
    But as you use it more and more, you become immune to it.
    me being a singer in person who can sing both base and soprano, take my word for it!
    • 485 posts
    July 2, 2015 9:21 PM EDT
    I think he's talking about the brief delay that exists between about uses even with a 100% cool down reduction. If you ever play a build that features no about cool downs, you'll notice it. It can be annoying especially when it glitches out your shouts and removes all shouts from your quickslot menu temporarily.
  • October 9, 2015 8:15 AM EDT

You know what's worse? When you press/hold the Shout button, but NOTHING happens!

Maybe you make the sound like you're shouting but no shout comes out. Then you can't shout for a few seconds! Hate that. Hate that so much...

• October 9, 2015 9:20 AM EDT

Idk if it works for all weapons but when that happens to me I fix it by blocking for a second. Plus if you're a cool dovahkin you already have MINUMUM of -40% shout cooldown :p

• T
    • 32 posts
    October 10, 2015 5:13 AM EDT

It'd be nice if shout cooldown could be decreased by drinking. I mean, how would you fix a sore throat? By pouring some ale in it!

• 56 posts
    October 10, 2015 6:33 AM EDT
    I think the delays are reasonable gameplay and story-wise. Cooldowns are annoying though, and doesnt justify the damage/effect increase,especially on elemental shouts (fire, frost, storm call, etc). But then to each his own.
    • 72 posts
    October 10, 2015 1:27 PM EDT

Dammit, the site's been invaded by necromancers again!

• October 10, 2015 3:34 PM EDT

you got somethin against necromancers breh!? Mages Guild laws died with the guild!

• 52 posts
    October 10, 2015 7:43 PM EDT

WTH? - What do Necromancers have to do with this?

• 52 posts
    October 10, 2015 7:47 PM EDT

You seem to be an expert on them. I plan on trying a necromancer build sometime in the nearby future. You knowing alot about them as, I would be interested on hearing your opinion on what do you think is the most important aspect of the build summoning wise? I never like the length so short when you have a cool one out on the field looking epic.

It would be appreciated.

• October 10, 2015 8:27 PM EDT

Well it doesn't have to be short. With the perks Conjuration Dual Casting and Necromancy you can keep whatever creature you resurrected for 4 whole minutes.

If that isn't enough you can always invest in some Alchemy so you can pop a Fortify Conjuration potion before resurrecting some Draugr Overlord if you wanna keep him around for longer than 4 whole minutes.

If that STILL isn't enough for you, you can always use the Staffs. The Staffs cap at level 16 on console but when the zombie dies the body wont turn to ash.

And there's always Dead Thrall when you're level 100 if you wanna keep the human thrall around forever.

However I believe a true Necromancer wouldn't get attached to his/her zombies and look for a way to extend their time together, necromancers like vampires see the resurrected creatures as tools and not companions. Well there is one exception... but that High Elf turned to necrophilia. A necromancer should always use a zombie until it's no longer useful or something better comes along. He then disposes of the old beaten and chopped up zombie and gets a fresher corpse. 

• 52 posts
    October 10, 2015 11:26 PM EDT

Thank you! that's some helpful advice!

*facepalm* I'm such a noob, I didn't even know you could resurrect the undead even though they are undead. It doesn't get anymore necromantic than that. Of course, genius. I always thought you do use a human body. I play on PC and when I did summon something I used a thrall spell to keep them up as distractions, bodyguards, etc.

I've got to use dead thrall more as you can have a mule as well as a distraction too. "Well done, my fateful servant!" I'll try these out when the playthrough starts. Thanks for the ideas Naeg!

• 268 posts
    October 11, 2015 3:15 AM EDT
    Thread Necromancers...
    • 72 posts
    October 13, 2015 9:42 PM EDT

Gotta learn the blog lingo, scrub.