Forums » Elder Scrolls

"Assassin's Appeal?" or: "Teach Me How to Stop Worrying and Love

• 20 posts
    July 6, 2015 11:43 AM EDT

i prefer the blow dart poison style like in Deus ex Human Revolution. And gives you time to run away.

I mean you can easily tell where arrows come from, since they kinda point to the shooter right after impact.

• 10 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:13 AM EDT

Actually, even if you are invisible, a mage with Detect Life will see you. In this case, how quiet and tactically efficient you are determines your ability to remain undetected. Good luck if that mage has a wall to his back and is paranoid

• 10 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:15 AM EDT

...and get an Argonian Ale at the Bee & Barb

• 10 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:25 AM EDT

That just means that a lot of people get killed by "Overrated sissies". What does that make the victims?  I on the other hand believe that assassins are a force to be reckoned with and I would be honored to have such a challenging foe. That way honor and value is gained whether I win or lose! Ok, I went deep with that but you get what I mean.

• 9 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:35 AM EDT

In my mind the assassin type is the only one who seems to rely heavily on planing. With a warrior you can usually just charge in there deflecting the minor injuries where as an assassin has to think about who the best person to take out at the moment. For example if you don't take out the sentry in the corner your next move might be spotted and will raise alarm. But for a warrior you kinda WANT to be detected as it makes the fight more fun. For Mage (in my mind at least) they kinda follow a similar fashion as assassin. Take out stronger enemies first then worry about all the petty one. But that's my thought.

• 10 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:38 AM EDT

I think that when the assassin begins to kill like a psychopath they have ceased to be an assassin. I agree that true assassins have standards and are the example of a professional killer. They are very specific with targets to the point they will ignore an entire gang just to kill their leader only and no one knew they were there to begin with. However, they are not above a face to face fight either. Ninja during the Feudal era in Japan knew how to fight face to face with no other weapon than their enviroment.

• 10 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:41 AM EDT

Manipulation is the ultimate ability. After all...it is a far greater victory to get someone to see through your eyes than to close theirs forever...

• 83 posts
    July 19, 2015 9:35 AM EDT

Also, another thing I found in TES: OblIVion was the Fame/Infamy system:

By completing the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines, you end up with a large amount of Infamy.

To counter it, either do the Pilgrimage at the beginning of the Kot9 quests or do a massive amount of good (closing Oblivion gates is a great option here!)

However, in Skyrim, there is no Fame/Infamy system...

• 1217 posts
    July 19, 2015 12:07 PM EDT

Here's the way I see it: Unlike your average shooter, assassin games very often strip away the element of "return fire". Usually it takes some effort to remain stealthy, and I'm not saying these games are easier just by dint of being assassin games, but it's not the same as having the pressure of being perpetually shot at. Players still get to kill stuff (which is all the rage these days), and find a variety of ways to do it, even including open combat like a shooter (though usually not as fluid).

• July 19, 2015 12:16 PM EDT

What I enjoy about being dark assassin like characters is murder is always justified. Why would I brawl over some racist nord for bullying a "gray skin" when I can just murder him when no one is looking? Plus at least in Skyrim you don't need to stick to bows and daggers to be an assassin. There are lots of mods that add spells like Zap that you can use from stealth OR my personal favorite Fury. Just walk up to someone, say something mean about their mother and cast Fury on them, when the person dies it doesn't even count as murder cause you can plead it was self defense.

I actually find it impossible to love warriors of justice. I mean, games where you can be evil are so rare... why would you pass that up when given the chance?

• 394 posts
    July 19, 2015 12:20 PM EDT

Or better still: steal it from the Bannered Mare 

• 237 posts
    July 19, 2015 6:33 PM EDT
    It's true. The dark side endings of Star Wars games are so much more satisfying. Mass Effect doesn't have different endings so much as it adds instant gratification throughout when you choose Renegade options. Borderlands is black on grey morality.

And sneaking in RPGs makes you feel skilful and clever! Try playing Baldur's Gate as a solo Rogue.
    • 20 posts
    July 20, 2015 3:48 PM EDT

I love KOTORS dark side options, since they are actually tempting.

Being a member of the Dark Brotherhood in skyrim doesnt really give you any extra options.

Its simply killing people for money, no skill, no honor, no challenge, no revenge, no justice.

At least in dishonored there was revenge and skill.

• 168 posts
    July 20, 2015 3:54 PM EDT

Yeah, paranoid mages with detect life will be a challenge!!

• 288 posts
    July 20, 2015 4:00 PM EDT

Not to mention paranoid Dragonborn with Aura Whisper

• 134 posts
    July 20, 2015 4:51 PM EDT

And even then, all of your friends get angry when you kill the bad guys. They're BAD guys, corrupting the empire and all that. What's the problem with me removing them to make way for a better government? Why is the game more chaotic when the corrupt people are gone?

I'll always empathise with Corvo in that scenario. There are good assassins out there!

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 12:01 AM EDT

I don't like how mercenaries fight only for money. But assassins are even worse! They murder innocent people! I laugh at people who say they're role-playing and then go join both the Companions/Dawnguard/any fairly honorable group and the Dark Brotherhood. They are honorless.

• 161 posts
    July 28, 2015 12:16 AM EDT

So?  Most Assassins kill for a Reason. And They Take Contracts. So Someone who pays to kill another isnt that Innocent at all.. 

• 18 posts
    July 31, 2015 12:23 PM EDT

It's payed murder.

• 18 posts
    July 31, 2015 1:24 PM EDT

Except for the Dark Side ending in The Force Unleashed. That one's just sad.

• 237 posts
    July 31, 2015 6:17 PM EDT
    I'll give you that one ._.
    • 24 posts
    July 31, 2015 8:39 PM EDT

Honestly, I like them because they make more practical sense than your average 1 on 1000 rpg warrior. Instead of, trying to murder everyone you (generally) have one target that you must sneak through all of the guards to get to (you can do an offensive assassin too, but I think the typical ideal is the sneaky kind).  I like realness of feeling like if you mess you'll die. Of course, in Skyrim, stealth is broken and you probably won't die unless you purposely limit your character, but it's still fun even without the limitations.  Also, I like to do the "silent killer" roleplay, lol.  Glass-canon assassins can be heck of a lot of fun too, especially when your making a not-so-stealthy escape.  Assassins tend to have wider array of weapons and "gadgets" (In skyrim, gadgets = magic/potions) to choose from.  Having more than one way to approach a situation is one of the biggest things for me.  

• 10 posts
    December 6, 2015 5:39 AM EST

I like that... that's funny rite der. It's like "WHO DER? WHO DER? Go away you quiet demons of da nedder relm!"