Forums » Fallout

Help Me Wasteland-ize This!: Cincinnati

• 338 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:11 PM EDT

Hello Everyone. It's Ace here.

Recently, I've been thinking about the Fallout universe a lot because of my story that I'm currently working on for Wasteland Tales. I want to set the story in a place that's never been seen in Fallout before. The problem with that, is that I've got to come up with my own wasteland area, so to speak.

So, I've come up with this idea, a discussion about Wasteland-izing a city. I'm going to post a lot of photos of places around Cincinnati, OH, and I'd like feedback on the images. What could have happened to them after the bombs hit? What buildings would be a good place to set up society, like Rivet City. Where would the fiends run amok, and what places would be infested by ghouls. 

Hopefully this can spark a series of discussions about other cities as well. I'd love to see that!

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Here are the images.

First of all, here is a map of Cincinatti with the MAJOR locations I'd like to talk about:

These major sites are:

The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden

King's Island

The Cincinnati Museum Center

Paul Brown Stadium and the Great American Ballpark

Eden Park

And the International Airport

I'll also include Downtown and the Riverfront

Here are some more detailed images:

Cincinatti Zoo:

Obviously, there are a lot of cool opportunities to design mutated creatures with this. I'd like some feedback on what creatures would be cool to see mutated, as well as just how scary a zoo + nuclear fallout would be. I'd hate to be the adventurer wandering through that deathtrap.

Kings Island:

I could see this turning into a ghoul-infested zombie themepark deathtrap as well, and the Eiffel Tower would be a damn good place to set up snipers.

Cincinnati Museum Center: 

This is my personal vote for where a society of "normal" people would be set up, if only for how iconic it is. A lot of history in this building in Cincinnati.

Great American Ballpark:

Paul Brown Stadium:

Twin Stadium Cities like we see in the Fallout 4 trailer could be something that happens here. What do you think?

Eden Park:

This place is beautiful. Let's come up with ways to mess it up!

International Airport:

Could be a good place to find loot if you're willing to dig through luggage. Lots of salvageable mechanical tech, too, I'd wager.

Downtown:

Pretty standard urban area. Lots of buildings and lots of destruction after the bomb hits!

Riverfront and Bridges:

That's all the images I've got.

Please, if you have any cool ideas about what could have happened to this place post-war, please, share them.

Also, if you have cool images of places in Cincinnati, please also share them!

Thank you.

-Ace

• 1913 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:24 PM EDT

In the past, zoos were made to be a sort of town for folk. Open pens that can lead indoors, storage space for food, spacious for others to live there, and you can guard from multiple areas...

• 1913 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:24 PM EDT

This is a nice idea and I await the responses

• 338 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:25 PM EDT

And not to mention hoards of hungry mutated animals! 

I suppose if you could wipe them all out, it would be a pretty spacious place to live.

• 404 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:28 PM EDT

hey Komodo Dragons are in the series in the Midwest. they might live in your State.

• 338 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:30 PM EDT

There's definitely one at the zoo. Used to be one of my favorites to go see.

This thing could be a monster if they got a Deathclaw out of a freaking Chameleon!

• 338 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:33 PM EDT

Holy crap. Cincinnati was named for Cincinnatus - a Roman general and dictator. Don't let The Legion find out!

• 404 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:45 PM EDT

there was a solider named Tiberius Claudius Maximus in Roman history.

also remember there is a Legion Centurion named after Phoenix, Arizona

• 404 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:46 PM EDT

yeah, I replyed back at you on that PM with a link.

• 4 posts
    June 27, 2015 6:42 PM EDT
    Oooooh SHIET! Cincinnati got called OUT!
    • 203 posts
    June 27, 2015 7:46 PM EDT

I know that in the past people have used the old roman arena's as cities over here in Europe, and so it wouldn't surprise me if the stadium and the ballpark would be turned into some sort of settlement, just like we have seen in the fallout 4 trailer.

I would love to see a fallout game in the future where the animals in the zoo survived but mutated horribly (because fallout) and have managed to populate the city. From the amount of animal species I can discern on the map of the Cincinatti zoo I would say that such a thing would be pretty awesome here. I can easily see a faction of hunters tracking down these rather unique mutants and trading their hides and other spoils of the hunt.

If there would only remain one or two bridges standing I can definitively see two warring factions trying to take them over, or even better have an entire raider/slaver settlement on the bridge. They would ask toll for passage and if you are caught sneaking through they will capture you and sell you as a slave (which they might just do even if you paid the fine).

The Eden park could be transformed into some lush tropical-ish above ground vault 22, where instead of having spore carriers and mantises you would have enormous breeding spots for Mirelurks or some other strange semi-aquatic creatures (escaped from the zoo perhaps)

I don't have any idea what would happen to the other places of interest, however this thread has definitively sparked my interest. I might give it a try with the city town I live in, albeit in a somewhat distant future. Might be interesting given the university around here has some great (mostly) agricultural research going on.

• 51 posts
    June 28, 2015 6:03 AM EDT
    Riverfront and bridges- It can be a town for when the bombs fell, people left their cars, after the bombs fell, a man with a few survivora made it into a trade hub between two factions who are fighting over the bridge :-)

International airport- a trade center where the vendors are ghouls, who were rich men and women before the war.Their leader, an ambitious ghoul tried to cure their ghoulness but only made it worse...he made super mutants, now the airport is divided into 3 the trade parts,the mutant parts and the feral ghoul part.

Eden Park- a place where nuclear fire did not reach.Few people made it into a farm, some made it into shelter. They were lead by a mutant who was turned into a big tree.

The zoo- It can be a beastiary lead by a slaver, Every night it turns into a fight club where brave wastelanders fight for caps and honor or freedom if they're a slave.
    • 338 posts
    June 28, 2015 1:11 PM EDT

Some very cool ideas, guys! Thank you!

• 338 posts
    June 29, 2015 1:22 AM EDT

If we could please refrain from derogatory comments about places where people live, that would be appreciated.

As the pictures show, Cincinnati is clearly not a wasteland. There are a lot of cool places to visit, and some very neat places that could be used by survivors in a post-Great War Fallout setting. 

• 338 posts
    June 29, 2015 1:23 AM EDT

I really like the idea about a group of hunters that get together for the thrill of killing dangerous, mutated animals. Thanks!