Forums » General Gaming

Remastered Games: Good or Bad?

• 1467 posts
    June 26, 2015 10:53 PM EDT

So ever since the next-gen consoles came out I've been noticing more of these games. Games that are released with all DLC and a little bit of a polished look ( bug fixes and all that) and sold on the newest console. It's hardly a new idea but it seems to be much more common these days.

So what do you think of them. Personally I'd rather they just made consoles backwards compatible but hey, that would mean less money so that's not gonna happen. 

• 113 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:21 PM EDT

I wouldn't mind getting me some "Scholar of the First Sin," it looks like it'd be really nice on the eyes, and as long as I can transfer my data I'd be fine. Either way though, starting a new file wouldn't be that bad. 

One thing I am looking forward to is that Rare Collection that's coming out for the new consoles. 

• 342 posts
    June 26, 2015 11:24 PM EDT

I don't mind the remastered stuff. its actually helped me pick up a few titles i might have missed when they first came out or to be able to play much loved games that for whatever reason the disc has stopped working.

• 700 posts
    June 27, 2015 12:28 AM EDT

Remasters are good for super fans and developers, and that's about it.  For example, the only remaster I've ever bought was the Halo: CE 10th Anniversary edition because I adored the original.  It was really exciting to play a prettied-up version of my gateway-game, so to speak.  I have a nostalgia trip, and the devs get money.  

It's lazy of them on one hand, and good business on the other, but maybe they grew a third hand and decided they cared enough about the fans to make such a thing.  Unlikely though.  

• 338 posts
    June 27, 2015 12:31 AM EDT

They're good for new fans as well. Given the choice between a remaster and an original, I'd probably take the remastered version if I'd never played the game before, because presumably it's got all the issues fixed.

• 700 posts
    June 27, 2015 12:35 AM EDT

The thing I liked so much about the Halo: CE remaster is the fact that with one button press, you could be playing the original.  If such a feature was present in all remakes, then I would agree with you.  But without that feature, then I would play the original before the remake every time.  I can only hope that the devs would have the foresight to bundle them.  

• 1483 posts
    June 27, 2015 8:14 AM EDT

Well, it's not like they put huge effort in making those. Bug fixes and DLC inclusion should not be too straining for the devs, as is adding higher resolution textures (which they have anyway). So yes, I welcome the notion. Especially for games like Mass Effect where DLCs get no discounts (on PC) and currently worth more than the entire trilogy.

• 558 posts
    June 27, 2015 9:50 PM EDT

I would prefer backwards compatibility for the PS4, because I don't think that they are going to remaster Demon's Souls!