Forums » Elder Scrolls

Ultimate Character

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 3:05 PM EDT

• June 23, 2015 3:10 PM EDT

For all the Master builders have given us, I just thought it would be a good idea to give back by making an event especially for them, The builds they play, not the ones they create for us. I suspect there may be an ultimate character out there somewhere. Ben  I am glad you consider yourself a master builder, it is a title I would be most proud of. Not goodbye skyrim, more look! thanks folks, now show us what you do just for yourselves.

• 268 posts
    June 23, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

It's an interesting idea, though I feel like a lot of the builds could end up too samey. Also, if it's for 'Master Builders', would you have to reject others who want to join the event? Kinda defeats the point of what the events were about...

• June 23, 2015 3:18 PM EDT

Yes reject everyone that does not have legendary status, just imagine the intense competition and rivalry (friendly of course) not just that I think some of the end results would be astonishingly brilliant

• 268 posts
    June 23, 2015 3:25 PM EDT
    Ha, it could force people to really pull out all of the stops :D
  • June 23, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

Ben I apologies mate, Right ALL character builders of legendary status get invited to a CB kind of  Best of the Best thing, They then go on to make their Ultimate Builds, that is the builds they play themselves, what they refer back to, when not creating for the CB group . Like I said the friendly rivalry, to achieve what Could be described as an ultimate build, would truly have some brilliant entries, considering what has been achieved so far. Maybe even a vote by the members of the group or the Admins to decide who is the Ultimate builder. I hope this clarifies and again apologies. And as Raidriar has already pointed out, if all the stops were pulled out to become "Supreme Champion, just imagine what could be created

• 622 posts
    June 23, 2015 3:55 PM EDT
    Hold the phone. Tnere are some teally great builders who do not have legendary status yet. Elysium, for one. Most lehendary builds got there when the sitevwas at peak
    • 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 3:58 PM EDT

I think the concept of this is possibly off mate.

The characters we quietly play in our free time probably aren't build material. If we had anything 'ultimate' to share we'd have posted it, or have it in the works at least...

Many of the legendary builds here took months of work, often stopping and starting for research or artwork. It isn't something that can just be spawned at will on a timeline.

It also requires a high degree of motivation for the game and I think a few of us are lacking that these days...

• 485 posts
    June 23, 2015 4:00 PM EDT
    Tae brings up very good points. I think if the sites interest in skyrim character builds could be reinvigorated, you'd see a lot more of these master builders ( if you're dead set on qualifying this based on number legendary builds) emerge.
  • June 23, 2015 4:09 PM EDT

No my friend, not dead set, if the idea could be evolved into something that would, as you say invigorate the CB group then I have no problem with that, Masons comment above says it all really interest is lacking lets see what could be accomplished by high ranked builders only then, how about that?

• June 23, 2015 4:10 PM EDT

Apologies Tae I meant no offence.

• June 23, 2015 4:12 PM EDT

Wait, does Elysium not have any Legendary builds?

• 1483 posts
    June 23, 2015 6:05 PM EDT

I believe there is a fundamental misunderstanding here. The builds are characters, the ones that builders play, enjoy and decide to share. Every good builder greatly enjoys the character he/she plays. They don't craft builds for others first, they craft them for themselves and when they like playing those characters enough, they share those characters.There is no such process as "creating for CB group". 

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 6:38 PM EDT

There is actually Vaz...

Ever since my very first build here all but two or three of the characters I made were created solely for the CB group.

I went into nearly every playthrough thinking "what can I make for them next!", everything was planned so that I could share the things I learned right here with you lot.

I honestly tried running more mundane characters for my 'own pleasure' and it never really worked for me because 50% of my Skyrim enjoyment came from this site. If my toons weren't good enough to contribute then it suddenly started feeling like a waste of time...lol...

There's no pleasure if you can't build em afterwards!

• 1483 posts
    June 23, 2015 6:57 PM EDT

Well, you were a host...  

You feel that it's a waste of time because you can't post them afterwards. But why can't you post them? Because they were not engaging enough, no? 

• June 23, 2015 7:13 PM EDT

All CBS on this site, have given the rest of us so much pleasure over the last 4 years, I just thought that for the best of the best,  legendary ranked, a special Event could have been arranged just for them, to compete with each other to find the Ultimate builder.

It is a fact that Legendary  CB is dwindling, as is interest in Skyrim, so I also thought this standard of competition would rekindle interest, from what I refer to as the Master builders. Thank you for all your comments thus far.

• 485 posts
    June 23, 2015 7:28 PM EDT

I suppose I misread you then. As I said your idea is a good one. It could potentially work. 

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 7:36 PM EDT

Sure exactly that, if I didn't feel engaged then I couldn't expect others to listen to me ramble...

You're trying to create something that others want to play, no?

• 1483 posts
    June 23, 2015 7:40 PM EDT

For me it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, I want to create something I would enjoy playing. On the other hand, I don't really enjoy something that is not unique (and, of course, fun). Thus, the number of builds I've posted  In the end it comes to my personal enjoyment, not my desire to post something in CB. 

• 1467 posts
    June 23, 2015 7:44 PM EDT
    It a pretty good idea but has some major flaws. For instance we have great builders who haven't quite made Legendary yet and interest in Skyrims is certainly dwindling.

I think creating an event for legendary builders would be pretty damn hard as it seems like only Henson, Teccam and Curse (off the top of my head,if I've forgotten someone then blame lack of sleep) are still around building, most of the others have left or just don't build anymore. Getting together an event would be next to impossible.

Anyway. Long story short I think we wouldn't have enough people throwing builds up from the ranks of Legendary Builders to create an event (although I was going off multiple Legendaries but if it's one then there should be a couple more)

Since I mentioned Henson we should have a Dragoon revamp Event.
    • 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 7:53 PM EDT

Yeah it was always the opposite with me, I found it really hard to play a character privately that I couldn't also share socially...

Weird.

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 8:08 PM EDT

This is just purely my observation/opinion.

The CB group is at its best when it's all about the new bloods...

There should always be a mountain for them to climb (Bloodworks --> Legendary), but the mountain should always be reachable and fluid (no throne).

When you start making the peak of the mountain harder to reach (HOFame...etc) then the incentive to bother climbing it weakens...

...and if there's nobody in the group to bother climbing the mountain then nobody gets to appreciate the view on the way up (new builders like Elysium don't get noticed/liked).

• 189 posts
    June 23, 2015 10:26 PM EDT

I agree with this. Part of the issue then becomes finding that balance in the ranks such that the highest rank (Legendary) is attainable, yet not *too* attainable. Since your Seraphim came out, there's only been, what, one or maybe two builds posted that hit Legendary tier -- not counting Event Legendary ... which was really only made in the first place because people realized new builds weren't getting 100 Likes, and incorrectly assumed it was because event submissions were less popular than non-event builds.

I recall chatting with you towards the end of your stint as a CB host, and you had been fiddling with the idea of raising the Legendary threshold even higher than 100, and I think I was fairly aggressive in saying I didn't like the idea. You're the only one on the blog who can hit 100 Likes in a day; the rest of us are lucky to get there within a year, and these days, even that may be too tall an order. (Personally, I feel my last two builds are among my best work, yet neither has hit Legendary. Curse and Raid's last build is only about half-way there after, what, two months?)

But where does that leave us? Do we lower the threshold? That seems like a slippery slope ... But it would undeniably treat the symptom of that unattainable mountain peak in your metaphor.

• 485 posts
    June 23, 2015 11:12 PM EDT

Best I ever managed was mythic in a day 

• 627 posts
    June 23, 2015 11:18 PM EDT

Will you guys please stop gloating