Forums » Elder Scrolls

Ultimate Character

• June 23, 2015 12:56 PM EDT

Hello Builders, Further to Masons discussion, re. the Ultimate Character, I wondered if character builders of Legendary rank would be interested in a one off Event Build " The Ultimate Character" I realise that interest in Skyrim is waning, now that it is almost Four years old. I also think it would be a fitting tribute to the Builders on the blog, who have given us so much pleasure over the last four years. Any thoughts?

• June 23, 2015 1:25 PM EDT

I meant as a tribute, to the builders themselves, their Ultimate build, not designed or built for anyone else, and I stated interest in Skyrim is waning, not gone, it was just an idea Ben, that is all

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 1:48 PM EDT
    To some, maybe, but seems like most are beginning to move on in terms of members we used to have here. I know I will still come back to Skyrim a ton especially when TES6 is announced.
    • 1483 posts
    June 23, 2015 1:48 PM EDT

A dumbass tried to make a build that used all of the skills, it was shit but his name got the build attention. He also made some horrible abomination not to be mentioned!

I hope you don't refer to Factotum... 

On topic, I'm confused at how this would work. Do you suggest to make an Event where everyone posts characters with their favorite skills?

• 1483 posts
    June 23, 2015 1:49 PM EDT

I haven't played since August, I think 

• June 23, 2015 1:54 PM EDT

No Sir, you misunderstand, not farewell to Skyrim, surely you can see, what I call the Master builders on the blog, have stopped making builds,  I will try to be clearer in future. What I meant was, without the constraints of a subject to build on,or any rules about content, Invite them to showcase their obvious talent,with Personal builds, that they revert to when not building for Events,competitions and the like, I think some of them could well surprise us all Ben

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:01 PM EDT

You mean Narm and his Utopian? It was a pretty cool build. He usually put together some nice art and had some unique concepts.

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:02 PM EDT

Sure, for some. And change is good.

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:10 PM EDT

Does anyone here remember Narms 'Skyrim Blog podcast'? That was ace! It's a real shame that didn't catch on!

It was basically a 'Weekly Roundup' of what was going on around the site...

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:12 PM EDT

Sounds like something before I got here. Sounds awesome though!

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:16 PM EDT

Hey, cool. Everyone's got an opinion. It was a very popular build and people liked it, so if it inspired at least a few (which actually was a bunch) to play it, then it was a great build.

• June 23, 2015 2:16 PM EDT

95% of builds were simple to conceive back then, Ben. You had some outliers, sure, but the conception of many builds were actually pretty simple. Even the Bronze Sentinel and the Mabrigash, the two builds that got me on the site, were very simple, concept-wise, compared to recent builds.

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:21 PM EDT

He only ever did 1, I think he got a little embarassed about it...

• 1441 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:22 PM EDT

The one by Narm, it was simple, yet I liked it, it introduced me to the Restoloop glitch

• 485 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:23 PM EDT
    You're idea isn't bad, but my thoughts are to hold off on declaring skyrim's time of death. I find it odd when people mention the games age like its a bad thing. Like any game more than a year old can no longer be relevant to gamers. If anything we should be celebrating something that can hold people's interests for that long and spawn over 900 builds.
    • 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:29 PM EDT
    • 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:30 PM EDT

There was also some preasure surrounding the origins of the Utopian character build that most of you here won't remember.

It was technically an entry into the blogs first CB event in many ways. The build HAD to be level 81 and it was essential that it included level breakdowns etc...

It was actually meant to be competitive (more than normal) and outlandish.

Ponty may remember the details more than me because his Paladin (another entrant) was level 81 once upon a time...

• June 23, 2015 2:31 PM EDT

Why? The restoloop is responsible for 100% shout reduction builds and stuff like the Obsidian Sentinel/Seraphim.

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:35 PM EDT

Huh, so that means Narm actually made a pretty sound build to actually get to 81 without ever grinding random skills one would never need again? Most 81 builds used the regular number of skills most like to us, but now this sheds light on how creative the build was at the time.

• 189 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:37 PM EDT

I'll go ahead and play devil's advocate here. I think there's a valid argument that, from a purely mechanical perspective, an "ultimate build" does exist. It should be possible, for example, to seek to maximize your character's defensive and offensive capabilities. Immunity to as many things as possible, and maximized resistance to everything else. On the offensive side, maximize DPS against a full array of enemy types. Some sort of mechanism for healing reliably, even if it's not ever actually needed in gameplay.

Think something along the lines of this page and this page from UESP for Oblivion.

Some would argue that the most powerful build does not necessarily equate to the "ultimate build", and that's fair. But there are other approaches as well. What about a build that seeks to create the canonized Last Dragonborn? Obviously, we won't really know the full canon until TES VI comes out, but we can make some reasonable assumptions. Shouts would definitely play a big role in he build; he'd probably need to know them all and have some nice cooldown. This is something that a few people have tried before, but no one has really done it well yet IMO.

"Ultimate" is too nebulous a word for anyone to definitively say either way whether an "ultimate build" is a feasible endeavor. If you take it to mean either of the interpretations I posted above, then I'd argue that an "ultimate build" absolutely is possible. Might even be quite fun to try to piece together.

• June 23, 2015 2:40 PM EDT

Yes it is? Creating the Obsidian Sentinel is literally impossible without the restoration exploit.

• June 23, 2015 2:42 PM EDT

Ponty made a really good Last Dragonborn build.

• 739 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:47 PM EDT

Jesus Ben calm down...

He's been gone for years and you're acting like he was tickling your bung hole just yesterday...

I've been going through my inbox from Jan 2012, man there's some funny shit going on that month, Narmis plaguing a very young CB group with his multiple accounts! (like.....like.....like.....like.....like)

The Utopian was an 'Elite Build' and was a contestant in a (sting) contest that I set up to try and weed out people who didn't playtest their builds.

• June 23, 2015 2:49 PM EDT

I misspoke in my first comment, I meant the restoration exploit (which was still specified in my last comment).

• 490 posts
    June 23, 2015 2:52 PM EDT