Forums » Elder Scrolls

Which game do you prefer? Morrowind or Oblivion?

• 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 11:39 AM EDT

TES Classics

I for one prefer Oblivion. It was game that introduced me to The Elder Scrolls, first open world game I ever played so it has much bigger place in my heart than Morrowind. The guilds, the story, combat, all this I prefer over the Morrowind.

But Morrowind...oh boy, as far as lore or landscape goes, I would vote for Morrowind.

Which one do you prefer?

• 558 posts
    June 20, 2015 12:12 PM EDT

Morrowind, for the reasons stated above (lore and landscape), but I also prefer the art style and combat of Morrowind over Oblivion.

• 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 12:13 PM EDT

Why is that you prefer Morrowind combat over Oblivion? You´re more into DaD style of combat?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 20, 2015 12:16 PM EDT

Personally, I prefer Morrowind due to mostly the lore, being set in my favourite's race province, the landscape and the music. (Though I dislike the gameplay). But I really like Oblivion as well, especially the guild questlines - best Dark Brotherhood ever.

• 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 12:23 PM EDT

I guess that Dunmer are favourite because of the Morrowind which introduced their homeland and culture very well. Their lore is not like Nords which are similar to Northman of real world, it is much more complex. And Morrowind just introduced them very well. Dunmer are my favourite race too. (Well, one of the three. Altmer, Dunmer, Orsimer. My favourites. Guess that´s the reason why I haven´t bought ESO. I still don´t know who to play!)

Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion was really good. For a guild of fanatical assassins the questline wasn´t boring story-wise. But I prefer Oblivion Thieves Guild over Dark Brotherhood.

• 13 posts
    June 20, 2015 1:55 PM EDT

I'd be drooling all over Morrowind if it was remade with new engine and new high quality graphics with the same amount of quests, stories, etc. Oh, wait, Skywind.

• 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 2:25 PM EDT
    I am really looking forward to Skywind. That will be blast! But Morroblivion is worth too.
    • 113 posts
    June 20, 2015 2:39 PM EDT

I prefer Daggerfall. Despite not having played it... 

• June 20, 2015 3:03 PM EDT

You can mod up a lot of old games to make up for their shortcomings and Morrowind is a perfect example of it, because what can't be changed are the best parts of it. The story, lore, and the winding main quest that I still don't get tired of. Tweaking combat, stats, and graphics to modern day standards makes up for its age, I think.

Oblivion isn't bad, per se, but I've only owned it for the past 6 months or so. I like the guild quests better, but the incredible cartoony vibe of the world is killing it for me.

• 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 3:23 PM EDT
    It is strange but I never thought about Oblivion as cartoony. Sure, voice acting was like in bad fairy tale but I never thought about the looks as cartoony. Lot of mods actually makes the look much vetter. Not the voice acting but looks at least.
  • June 20, 2015 3:43 PM EDT

I am the opposite Morrowind was my intro into the world of ES. While I will always hold Morrowind in super high regard, I prefer playing Oblivion I know the Game backwards, I played it that often. I f they could transfer the main Quest from Morrowind into Oblivion what a happy Bunny I would br.

• 558 posts
    June 20, 2015 4:09 PM EDT

Morrowind was actually the first game I have played with a DaD style of combat. I thought it was intriguing, and overall I like the weapon and spell animations of Morrowind better, too.

I am kinda sad that I dislike Oblivion, because I know I am missing out on some amazing guild quests. But I won't force myself to play it if I am not having fun.

• 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 4:19 PM EDT
    Morrowind was really your first game with combat based on dice rolls? Wow. I knoew I have played Baldur's gate long before Morrowind, so first or third person channce based combat felt really weird to me, especially playing it after Oblivion.
    • 773 posts
    June 20, 2015 4:39 PM EDT

Well, Morrowind was my first 'open world' game and I played it like crazy for about 6 months solid. Although I really enjoyed Oblivion, it somehow never quite grabbed me in that same way.

The reason, I think (and this factors into the current debate in Vault 111 about voiced protagonist) was because Morrowind was text only. Well, there were a few NPC voices, but not really what you could call voiced dialogue. This enabled a depth of lore, culture, politics, intrigue and background information that you could never replicate with voiced dialogue.

It didn't help that Oblivion had about eight voice actors doing 90% of the dialogue, so you got sick and tired of the same generic lines by the same voice actors - something that Skyrim, thankfully, did much better with.

As someone else said, if Bethesda re-made Morrowind for next gen consoles it would be amazing, but of course it would never happen. So we are left with our blissful memories of 2002.... **wistful sigh**

• 130 posts
    June 20, 2015 4:58 PM EDT
    Oblivion was the first RPG I ever really got into, and it holds plenty of great memories for me. However, when I take off my rose tinted glasses, it's pretty clear to me that Morrowind is the better game. It had more magical effects, skills, weapon types... Pretty much everything was more in-depth than Oblivion. Of course Oblivion wins in graphics, I personally prefer its soundtrack and it has Shivering Isles. SHIVERING ISLES!
    • 649 posts
    June 20, 2015 5:53 PM EDT

CHEESE for everyone!

• June 20, 2015 6:39 PM EDT

Wait!! scratch that, cheese for no one. lol, He was a basket case, there is no denying it, Some of his other dialogue used to bend me up, like.... A me to fight the him, or the prince of Order,or is it biscuits?no no, Order lol, sorry for moving off topic guys.