Forums » Fallout

Fallout 3: To buy, or not to buy

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 8, 2015 8:02 PM EDT

Hello (again) everybody! After the success of my first post about whether or not to buy Morrowind, I decided to try with Fallout 3. So, my question to you is: Is Fallout 3 worth buying? And are the DLC good? I found a GOTY Edition of FO3 (Xbox 360) for only $15 (new) on Gamestop, which seemed pretty cheap for what I had heard was a good game.

I've played through Fallout New Vegas, maybe 70 hours total on it. Something about it I just didn't completely enjoy, though most of it was fun. The graphics seemed a tad odd, and I know FO3 is a year or so older than FNV. My favorite things are explosions and large loud guns, which were reasonably attainable in FNV. Also, is FO3 completely freeroam? One main thing that annoyed me about FNV was how it was kinda freeroam, but ended after the main quest. Not a huge deal either way though.

So, does Fallout 3 have a lot of quests and fun gameplay with some replayability and freeroam? Anybody's opinions would be greatly appreciated! And also, no quest spoilers would be preferable. And, finally, I play ONLY on console.

• 1441 posts
    June 8, 2015 8:18 PM EDT
    It and the DLCs are worth it
  • June 8, 2015 8:24 PM EDT
    YES, 100 times yes! Fallout 3 is just one of those games that every gamer should experience. The story, the locations, the atmosphere, the characters. It's just so classic and beautiful and tragic. I never actually played New Vegas so I can't compare but the Fallout 3 storyline is very, very good. You'll remember it for a long time.
    • 93 posts
    June 8, 2015 11:57 PM EDT

Currently playing FO3 for the first time. TRULY enjoying it. I don't use many explosives outside frag grenades, and I use no big guns really, but I do see plenty of missile launchers and miniguns up for grabs.

I tried to pick it up in the past, as well as NV, and didn't care for them at all. Butnow that I'm REALLY playing FO3 Im kind of in love. Great, great game world. So far, it's a pretty compelling story. I recommend it, particularly if it's cheap.

I can't speak to any of the DLCs, as I haven't played any yet. Not sure that I will. 

• 93 posts
    June 8, 2015 11:58 PM EDT

It's like midnight here, so I'm gonna crash, but if you wanna talk about it more or ask questions, I'd love to tell you more about it from my 'newbie' perspective.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 9, 2015 8:51 AM EDT

Yeah, sure. I'm about to finish my last final (:D) so I'd love to hear more. 

• 133 posts
    June 9, 2015 11:13 AM EDT
    I'm gonna buy it as soon as I get the chance. :D
    • 1 posts
    June 9, 2015 3:40 PM EDT

STEAM is running a Fallout Weekend... might check the price there.

Fallout 3 was first of the series I ever played. Amazing game... DLC's add lots of content and the game has mods you wouldn't believe... lots of replay... not telling how many hours I spent in 3. Oh man New Vegas was just MORE... love the series looking forward to Fallout 4 oh man... I'm all over it.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 9, 2015 7:36 PM EDT

Nah. I was surprised my PC could run Morrowind lol.

• 224 posts
    June 9, 2015 8:36 PM EDT

You should buy it, its a really good game, one of my favorites, the Dlcs are good too, but what is better are the mods about it, like Morrowind moded, Fallout 3 moded its a really new and incredible experience 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 9, 2015 8:43 PM EDT
    Nonononono. Mods are a very big no. I don't wanna talk about mods lol. Thanks though.
    • 773 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:17 PM EDT

I'm thinking of doing a Fallout 3 play through over the summer to get into the groove

I'll need to buy a copy - GOTY edition I presume - as I lost it during a house move a couple of years ago.

• 1483 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:20 PM EDT

Well, you can get Fallout 4 on Xbone and get Fallout 3 for free.

• 773 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:39 PM EDT
    I'm PS4

Besides I want to be playing before Fallout 4 arrives ;)
    • 739 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:48 PM EDT

I played the hell out of Fallout 3 but when it came to new vegas something just didn't click and I let it go fairly quick...

I didn't feel as isolated in NV....................gah, I honestly don't know what it was....just something wasn't right about the 'feel' of the game.

Fallout 3 is a good buy (even now......especially now in fact).

I really didn't like the 'Hunting for my daddy' storyline in Fallout 3, it felt like a rather childish pursuit while I was doing my very best to man-up in the wasteland with big ass guns. But apart from that the game is GOLD.

• 113 posts
    June 17, 2015 6:11 PM EDT

Xuanlong Assault Rifle was always fun to get on any playthrough. 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 18, 2015 12:27 PM EDT
    Well, I actually just ordered a Xbox one so I might do that. Dunno if I'll have enough new games to sustain me until Fallout 4 though lol.
  • Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 18, 2015 12:34 PM EDT
    I've been playing New Vegas a lot recently and enjoying blowing things up with the Fat Man and Annabelle and sniping things with the Antimaterial Rifle. Something about shooting things with a .50 cal and watching them blow up with Bloody Mess is awesome lol. But I was wondering, is there a lot of actual wasteland in Fallout 3 though, or is it mainly wrecked buildings and stuff? I thought I read it was set in Washington DC.
    • 1483 posts
    June 18, 2015 2:14 PM EDT

It's a mix. About 3/4 of the map is wasteland and 1/4 is one big city. Half of it is collapsed and you are forced to use metro tunnels which are filled with feral ghouls. The whole city is also filled with Super Mutants. 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 18, 2015 2:25 PM EDT
    Alright that sounds cool. Kinda like the city New Vegas in FNV, surrounded mostly by a desert.
  • Tim
    • 92 posts
    August 24, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

Well, I wanted to kinda have an update on this. . . .First, I wanted to thank everybody who commented and told me about the game. I ended up ordering Fallout 3 GOTY a few days ago, it should get to me in about two days. I'm very excited to get into it!

• 14 posts
    September 29, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

"....................gah, I honestly don't know what it was....just something wasn't right about the 'feel' of the game." 

Somebody finally put my feelings into words. Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, New Vegas is great. I'm binging it pretty heavily right now (the DLCs are what really made it for me). But there's just . . . something . . .