Forums » The Lounge

Nothing matters

• 201 posts
    June 5, 2015 10:07 AM EDT
    Do any of yall ever feel like nothing you do matters? I know I feel like that right now. In your job, at school, or just playing video games? Or even here on the blog. There are many things I try to do, and I do it, but nobody seems to care. I Don't know why I feel like this but it's upsetting. Do you any of yall have anything like this going on, or do you have any advice for a 17 year old who wants to make a difference?
    • 131 posts
    June 5, 2015 10:15 AM EDT

I've had it for quite a while but i'm far to stubborn to just give up yet i partially always give up..

• 131 posts
    June 5, 2015 10:16 AM EDT

Find something that does matter to you, be it a person or hobby. You just need to know the trigger to get out of it.

• 694 posts
    June 5, 2015 10:23 AM EDT

I think everyone's felt that way at some point. It sucks. I echo Leon here. Find something that's important to you and hang on to it. It's really easy to slide into complete apathy. Don't give into it. It just makes it harder to dig yourself out later.

• 133 posts
    June 5, 2015 11:15 AM EDT
    Don't feel down, something always turns up.
    • 201 posts
    June 5, 2015 11:34 AM EDT
    That's cool.
    • 694 posts
    June 5, 2015 11:44 AM EDT

Well said.

• 394 posts
    June 5, 2015 11:47 AM EDT

If I enjoy it it matters. Works for me!

• 1217 posts
    June 5, 2015 12:56 PM EDT

I usually just get that feeling on the internet. I'll type up a wordy reply to a post or comment, and think, "Eh, no one gives a shit," and delete it. I'd say that the web is the worst place to feel like you're making a difference. The best way, is to just go do things, and as often as possible, do them for other people.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 5, 2015 1:15 PM EDT

Your first problem seems to be you expect praise or acknowledgement from other people for what you do. You're not that important.

Ultimately, nothing anyone or anything that has ever been or ever will be matters since we're all living in a doomed existence and through the passage of time all things will fade into the long, dark, and cold void of starless night.

Or all of existence comes back together, crushing everything that ever was or will be into a singular point small enough to be nonexistent.

But rejoice, you're the heir to an unbroken line lasting a million million generations and one of the few small pieces of the universe capable of contemplating itself.

So stop whining.

• 201 posts
    June 5, 2015 1:27 PM EDT
    Thank you guys, I guess I wasn't looking at the whole picture
  • June 5, 2015 1:36 PM EDT

6 words

never give up

no matter what

• 133 posts
    June 5, 2015 2:00 PM EDT
    Hooray!!!
    • 694 posts
    June 5, 2015 2:08 PM EDT

^^what Sand said.

• 743 posts
    June 5, 2015 3:26 PM EDT

Glad to see a fellow realist, Tom.

• 131 posts
    June 5, 2015 3:34 PM EDT

But i would say that you must balance that with your own reality becuase you will never please yourself if you keep focusing on the whole. You will keep comparing yourself to everyone else and you can end up even worse. I speak from experience, i know and it made me bitter and cynical. You need to have your own reality to build up then when you are at the point where you reach your goals, then you can look at a larger scale.

• 367 posts
    June 5, 2015 3:51 PM EDT

"If I try 10,000 different ways and something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward".
    Thomas A. Edison.

Ask yourself one question. Why do it? A lot of people make builds because they like making them. I write a story on the blog because I like writing it and my wife likes me to read it. I've a few followers here on the site but it's not the most popular story, it never will be. If you like doing something, add a discussion which you feel is important, or even add a piece of art and not many respond to it, why should that matter to you if YOU feel it's importance.  

• 1217 posts
    June 5, 2015 4:02 PM EDT

Also:

• 367 posts
    June 5, 2015 4:10 PM EDT

One quick quote for you.

No one can make you feel insignificant without your consent.

• 743 posts
    June 5, 2015 4:33 PM EDT

You know what your attitude should match? The picture below.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 5, 2015 4:40 PM EDT

You can be happy, or you can be right. I like being right, thus I'm a cynic.

Alternatively, if you dig deep into a cynic you'll find a disappointed idealist.

• June 5, 2015 5:03 PM EDT

Hello mate, Firstly calm down and look at your whole situation, something has triggered this outburst, if you can figure out what the catalyst was, and remove it, life will get better instantly for you. In the long term? set yourself some achievable goals and reach them, give yourself a little reward for doing so. Never turn your back on a problem my friend, it will breed and multiply ten fold, and before you know it, it will eat away at you until there's nothing left but the problem. Try to keep an open mind and a pair of open hands, that way you will learn give and take, master that and you will master life its self. Good luck.

• June 5, 2015 5:08 PM EDT
    Just remember you were the winner out of millions of sperm :D the fastest to the egg! You earned your place on this planet.
  • June 5, 2015 5:13 PM EDT
    Everyone else has given great advice. When I'm feeling like I'm in a dark space and I feel alone or like life is meaningless. I find comfort in the fact I KNOW I will be happy again, no matter what happens I'll come out of this rough spot and experience beautiful things. That thought alone gets me through anything really because no matter what happens or how bad you are feeling, you WILL come through it and you'll forget all about how bad it was. You'll be so glad you carried on and it will make you stronger. A bit of tough advice is always helpful too, I like the motto "Get a grip, get a life and get over it".
    • 131 posts
    June 5, 2015 5:42 PM EDT

Why choose? Why must i give one to have the other? Why must i sacrifice my happiness to be right? Can i not be right while being happy? I don't want Seek to be disillusioned to the world, we are cynical because we have seen the world for what it actually is. I try to stay happy and not give up. I will not allow myself to be disappointed yet, instead i take the charge to make it easier for others.