Forums » Elder Scrolls

Creepiest creature?

• 694 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:08 PM EDT

So just wondering--does anyone else have a thing in game that they just hate because they're just sort of... well, creepy? 

For me, it was draugrs for the longest time, which sucked because they were EV-ER-Y-WHERE. I've always just sort of hated zombies in general, so when I went into Bleak Falls Barrow for the first time I was like-- O HELL NO. I've always been able to take 'em down no problem, just sort of hated them, especially if one managed to sneak up on me somehow. And when they started turning up dead on the Windstaad Manor lawn I hated that too. What an eyesore!

I felt this way until I played the Dragonborn DLC recently. Now it's not draugr. IT'S SEEKERS. Can't stand 'em. I even hate the one I can conjure.

What about you? What gives you the willies in game when they surprise you from around the corner? Falmer? Hagraven? Frostbite Spider? Chaurus? Or are you all a pretty fearless bunch?

• 201 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:20 PM EDT
    Those Giants in Mora's plane of oblivion. I hate em.
    • 411 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:29 PM EDT
    Mudcrabs my first play through a mud crab killed me I was so scared
    • 133 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:39 PM EDT
    First time I encountered a chaurus. It tore me to shreds simply because I didn't know what to do.

I just crept round a corner and saw this big ass bug chewing on the corpse of some unlucky adventurer.

It began spitting poisen, then just lunged at me with its horrid Mandandables!
  • June 1, 2015 4:46 PM EDT
    Omg! Lol I'm picturing a poor prisoner in rags being chased by some crabs. In all seriousness though it's true mud crabs can be scary, I never notice them because they're so small and only come out of the ground when you get close and then suddenly you take damage and your character yells in pain! Sneaky ninja crabs...
    • 694 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:46 PM EDT

Lurkers?? Those things suck too. They sort of remind me of the aliens from, well, Alien.

• June 1, 2015 4:50 PM EDT
    Definitely chaurus for me too. I have bad memories of being stuck under a lighthouse with one of those things and loading a save repeatedly after dying so many times to it. It was just so powerful and menacing.
    • 32 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:50 PM EDT

Dammit, I thought of posting the same thing. Undoubtedly, the Chaurus Hunter. *shudders*

Whenever I see one advancing, I immediately switch to third person. Terrified to view them head-on. 

• 694 posts
    June 1, 2015 4:56 PM EDT

Yeah those are pretty gnarly too. Every time I see one now, I think of the Chaurus Pie: A Recipe book and it sorta makes me laugh.

• 1483 posts
    June 1, 2015 5:06 PM EDT

Chaurus. They are especially creepy when you try to sneak past them. That saliva dripping from their moths, that sound... 

• 3 posts
    June 1, 2015 5:48 PM EDT

BEARS!!

They're too loud! I can't count how many times I've jumped out my skin when one sneaked up and roared in my ears! So annoying.

• 485 posts
    June 1, 2015 5:59 PM EDT

Giant Frost Bite Spiders for sure. The way they descend upon you just when you think you've cleared out an area. 

• 8 posts
    June 1, 2015 5:59 PM EDT

The Falmer. The first time I saw one I was like "Hmm... I remember Dwemer Ruins from Morrowind. Looks prett- OH AKATOSH WTF IS THAT!" I still can't stand the damned things.

• 1441 posts
    June 1, 2015 6:01 PM EDT
    I agree, tipped off with my arachnophobia, which makes me want to kill them with fire while yelling at them to die
    • 133 posts
    June 1, 2015 6:14 PM EDT
    Haha, similar to my reaction!
    • 6 posts
    June 1, 2015 6:28 PM EDT

Definitely the Falmer too. Brought back traumatic memories of The Descent movie.

• 367 posts
    June 1, 2015 6:28 PM EDT

This is going to sound daft. For me it’s Slaughter fish… Yes I can see everyone’s thoughts on this…

“What? Sotek the Argonian Werewolf is scared of Slaughter fish? Is he for real?”.

Allow me to explain. I first started playing TES Morrowind. The beauty of that game was that you could fight underwater. So there you are swimming the vast lake with nice gentle music playing and…. BANG!!!

A slaughter fish comes from nowhere and strikes your armor.

That loud metallic bang has made me jump more times than any other thing in all the games I’ve ever played.

Imagine you’re sitting on a chair reading a book then someone behind you hits a metal dustbin lid with a baseball bat…. Congratulations, you’ve just had your first Slaughter Fish encounter.

• 557 posts
    June 1, 2015 6:45 PM EDT

Seekers, though not entirely due to their aesthetics.  

They have a spell called "Knowledge Drain" that they are able to use (it both staggers you and drains magicka/health). Based on the name of this spell I have this thought in my head that they are literally absorbing your knowledge. Something about a Daedra rooting around in your head doesn't sit well with me.

• 168 posts
    June 1, 2015 7:37 PM EDT

Chaurus and chaurus reapers are creepy, I hate those things. Chaurus hunters are fine though, not creepy at all. And the Giant fish-guys whatever they were called, from Apocrypha, they're horrible. The more I play Skyrim the less anything there will creep me out.

Nothing compares to my traumatic experiences with Cliff Racers though...  they were literally impossible to fight against or run away from, unless you had magic.

• 145 posts
    June 1, 2015 8:48 PM EDT
    Saber Cats terrify me! Once I was walking along. I found a location known as Riverside Shack or something like that, wasn't interested, and continued on my merry way. Suddenly, I hear a roar. I turn around and before I can even think my character is already screaming in pain, my health bar lower than half. I had to pause the game and just sit there for a moment. My heart felt like it leaped up into my throat!
    • 295 posts
    June 1, 2015 9:29 PM EDT

There is a giant slaughterfish in the Requiem Overhaul that is very bad. Well there are two, but the first one you find is right in Lake Ilinalta where you think you are safe if you are running away from the necromancer who is now very evil next to lakeview manor. That slaughterfish just kills you with one bite, it's sooooo big. But chaurus and chaurus reeper thingies and the flying ones. Wow, that is some nastiness that Bethesda came up with there. I've only ever done the lighthouse quest once. 

• 694 posts
    June 1, 2015 9:41 PM EDT
    My reaction too. Literally screaming a few choice expletives. My neighbors must think I'm insane.
  • June 1, 2015 9:48 PM EDT

EVERYTHING IN THE SOUL CAIRN...  SCREW ALL OF THOSE THINGS!

• 694 posts
    June 1, 2015 11:06 PM EDT
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. The first few times I got hit with that spell I was like, WTF even was that?? Poison? Illusion?

Not freakin' cool man.
    • 51 posts
    June 2, 2015 1:21 AM EDT
    Wolves...since my oblivion days the wolves always made me a bit jumpy especially when they jump out in packs