Forums » Elder Scrolls

Fav. Races/Subraces in Skyrim and why?

• 95 posts
    May 20, 2015 10:41 PM EDT

Yeah... I know... I am so terrible for this... Here goes BloodBane with his "Get to know each other" discussion again XD

But seriously... I just gotta ask, as this was something that still chews at my skull. What is your FAVOURITE race/subrace combo in Skyrim and why?

Race: Breton

Reason: Breton was introduced to me when I first played one of Mason's Sentinel builds. It allowed me to really experiment with the different classes and start of with a very low level in any form of physical offense or defense. I got the greatest feeling working with this race as it forced me to REALLY work hard for the levels and most of it's skills.

Subrace: Supreme Vampire Lord (See Anderson's Supreme Vampire Lord/Beast Form exploit, the only thing different is that I took Vampirism back afterwards.)

Reason: A double weakness to sunlight really can hinder regeneration, which made my characters focus on the amount of Health, Magicka and Stamina needed to last in a fight. NOT ONLY THAT, but holding the powers of Mist Form, Detect All Creatures, the "Light Foot" perk automatically, an intense boost to Health, Magicka, Stamina and Unarmed Damage? WHY NOT! Necromage also had a lot to do with it. Gotta have me some Necromage OP'ness up in here!

So, why the combination?: This entire combination is what forced me to create a highly defensive character capable of taking out the toughest enemies with minimal damage. I must say... It was a HUGE success... Other than that, I also had to work twice as hard to stay alive while guards tried to kill me in the daylight. -150 to Health, Magicka and Stamina in daylight nearly killed me every time at a low level. Even NOVICE felt like ADEPT.

• 22 posts
    May 21, 2015 8:57 AM EDT
    High elf because they like drugs
    • 47 posts
    May 21, 2015 10:37 AM EDT

Orc and werewolf. I have visible fangs on both shapes.

• 95 posts
    May 21, 2015 11:14 AM EDT

Berserk Rage + Werewolf form = 60 seconds of pure death-dealing.

• 133 posts
    May 21, 2015 3:00 PM EDT
    Bosmer, I like their culture and their outlook on life. Their skills and personality really suit my play style and it always felt.. Right, to play as one.

Favorite sub race is werewolf without a doubt. Claws, fangs, beastly power! What's not to like?
    • 95 posts
    May 21, 2015 9:20 PM EDT

Seems like a combo that proves the point that Bosmer are quite "one with nature".

• 485 posts
    May 21, 2015 11:36 PM EDT

Definitely the Khajiit, followed closely by the argonians and red guards. 

• 95 posts
    May 21, 2015 11:43 PM EDT

Werewolf or Vampire Subrace? Unless you feel like being a mortal... XD

• 1595 posts
    May 22, 2015 1:34 AM EDT

Bloodbane, is it just the racial powers and starting bonuses which made you a fan of the Bretons ore were you also attracted to their history and culture?

• 43 posts
    May 22, 2015 6:12 AM EDT

Race: Nord

Sub-Race: Werewolf

I love playing as a Nord warrior, mostly when I am playing Skyrim because it just feels right playing in his homeland. For every Nord character I have played, I always join the Companions at some point, which in turn leads my character to becoming a Werewolf. Having this power allows my character to be immune from all diseases (including pesky vampirism) and also gives him a God-like power should he ever need it. I find that this power however conflicts with the roleplay of some of my characters and ultimately bars them from entering Sovngarde when they die a glorious death in battle. I hope that one day, Kodlak and the rest of the heroes of Sovngarde can storm Hircine's Hunting Grounds and free the souls he had claimed, which would any heros with the beast-blood to enter!  (I think I'm getting a little too carried away with this)

• 3 posts
    May 22, 2015 7:30 AM EDT

Breton  because they are the only Elder Scrolls race that doesn't look absolutely disgusting (most of the time) . I guess Orcs in Skyrim aren't that bad. I don't like playing as a Vampire or Werewolf  because they are never really interesting or fun to come up with roleplay ideas for them.

• 33 posts
    May 22, 2015 12:32 PM EDT

Female Bretonns cuz they sexy AF

• 95 posts
    May 22, 2015 2:38 PM EDT

Starting Bonus', Racial Powers... They don't look as ugly  as most of the other race options WITHOUT the use of mods. I never really looked deep into the culture, but I might do so.

• 95 posts
    May 22, 2015 2:39 PM EDT

GET CARRIED AWAY!!!!

• 1483 posts
    May 22, 2015 6:24 PM EDT

#AltmerMasterRace

Subrace: none, the Altmer blood should stay pure 

• 95 posts
    May 22, 2015 11:29 PM EDT

#BretonMasterRace because they are a mix of Altmer and another race -has a memory problem right now-

• 275 posts
    October 31, 2015 3:52 PM EDT
    Argonian Dracopyres rule!
    • 33 posts
    November 7, 2015 2:06 AM EST

Race: argonian

Reason: I like Liszards argonians remind me of little dragons their histskin is amazing it saved me from death their lore is decent I like how they look their voices are great and are amazing assassins and warriors.

Subrace: Werewolf/Dragon

Reason: The reason I choose werewolf is because I like them they are great for one shots I like how they Look but the sounds can be a bit better other than that I always like Werewolves from the start..... No the start when I was born. I choose Dragon because I can fly around the world I can shout burn villages I will Look cool and be really strong plus Dragons offer amazing stuff you should watch highschool DXD to find out more and plus its better to be one than ride one.

• 95 posts
    November 7, 2015 7:57 AM EST

Actually, their is a huge confliction with that due to balance issues. Because if you use Histkin before Dracopyre, unfortunately, your peak power will only last 60 seconds due to the overpowered regen being so limited.

• 275 posts
    November 7, 2015 10:04 AM EST
    But once you change back you get Histskin again.
    • 275 posts
    November 7, 2015 10:05 AM EST
    Are you using the Dragon Form mod?
    • 122 posts
    November 7, 2015 10:51 AM EST
    inb4 Sotek and his lycan fixation.

As far as races go, there's no beating the Nords. Steadfast and down-to-earth people, they represent everything good in life that is simple and universal. Because sometimes, all you need to live are friends, food and family. I can relate. I'm Javanese, we're basically soft-spoken Asian Nords.

Subraces? Going to have to stick with vampires. Even though immortality and a blood addiction can be crippling, at least I'm me. I shy away from werewolves because I highly doubt I can control the beast inside and that scares me enough.
    • 24 posts
    November 7, 2015 10:53 AM EST
    Reachman

Reason: because Skyrim isn't just the home of the Nords. It also has Bretons and Orcs that call it home.
  • November 7, 2015 11:16 AM EST

Imperial Vampire (with ancient blood) for many reasons but the most important one is if someone catches me feeding I can use voice of the emperor to make them CHILL THE FUCK OUT! 

• 40 posts
    November 7, 2015 4:00 PM EST

Race: Bosmer! No wait, Dunmer! No... scratch that, I think I like the khajiit the most!

It's a tie between Dunmer and Bosmer for me.

Reason: (Bosmer) I love their lore, I love their culture, and one of my favorite characters I have created in this series is a Bosmer. I love his cheeky personality so much, and I like that he is such an obvious reflection of his people. I generally don't make archer characters, but with my wood elf, I made an exception and enjoyed every minute of it. The tribal culture and refreshing take on 'woodland elves' really sold me on them. I love those carnivorous tree-people. No salads for us!

(Dunmer) Their culture of Daedra worship fascinates me. I'm also very fond of their looks (though I have several mods that remove the wrinkles & tidy them up a bit!), and their connection to fire-destruction magic. When I'm not all about carnivorous tree-people, I'm all about these red-eyed badass pyro-elves that don't care what others think of their lifestyle. Their House of Troubles is also quite interesting, and one of my other favorite characters is a Dunmer Vampire Lord who more or less works as an agent of Molag Bal. I like how the Dunmer culture provides a different view of the Daedric Princes that the other races, with the exception of Orcs, does not seem to have. Dunmer architecture creeps me out a bit, though!

Sub-Race: WEREBEAR! RAWR!

Reason: I have always liked werewolves, long before I knew they were playable in Skyrim. Lycanthropy overall is subject of interest for me for as long as I can remember! I didn't know how much I needed a werebear until I found a texture replacer mod and a werebear blood mod. I love being a werebear so much, I'm writing an entire story about it through my werebear character, Kjeld White-Paw!