Forums » The Lounge

Can't let go

• 38 posts
    May 17, 2015 7:57 PM EDT
    I have been collecting videogames since I was around 8, always said I was going to hang onto them until they go up in price as collectibles, well I'm 34 now and that time has come, retro game prices are skyrocketing and I can't seem to let go of any of mine.The ones I have that are very sought after,are the crappy one's, that suck to play, like Flintstones for NES, one crappy game that commands a rediculus price now, never liked it and still can't let go of it, all most all are complete with boxes and hand guides, sometimes when I'm home alone I just look at them and read the guides like normal people look at pictures to reminisce.
    Maybe they can help pay for my daughter's collage in about 15 yrs, maybe I can pass them down the line, or maybe i can take them to Sovngard with me.
    Is anyone on here like this or am I a 8yr old in a 34 yr olds body?
    • 1441 posts
    May 17, 2015 8:02 PM EDT
    I say pass them on, consider them like family heirlooms
    • 622 posts
    May 17, 2015 8:03 PM EDT

Keep them! I'm 21 and have kept all of my old games because I love the idea of collecting 

• 411 posts
    May 17, 2015 8:24 PM EDT

I would keep them

• 38 posts
    May 17, 2015 8:34 PM EDT
    Yeah, I'm still collecting new and old games/console's , when i hit late teens and started working part time, I would buy an extra console on it's release day, usually a collector's edition and keep it sealed, like the original Xbox Halo editions, and Sega C.D, friend's thought it was weird as hell I bought them just to keep them sealed up to look at. Just recently did the same thing with Xbox one.
    • 1467 posts
    May 17, 2015 8:55 PM EDT

I keep as many games as possible ( my parents used to throw them out). Honestly I'm one of those people who have games they've never played but can't give them up (mostly because stores aroud here won't uy a game for mere then $5 if it's older then 5 years). 

If you can make a significant amount of money of them then I'd say do it, nothing wrong with money that could be used for something else. But passing them down isn't all that bad of an idea, in 20 years though will some of these be worth more or be over and done with and sell for a few cents.

• 485 posts
    May 17, 2015 9:02 PM EDT

I hoard everything. I still have old SNES cartridges

• 38 posts
    May 17, 2015 9:24 PM EDT
    Gamestop is doing trial runs at select stores buying and selling retro games, since they are becoming more popular.
    The popular games for older systems don't hold a lot of cash value generally , but the ones that flopped, only had a limited run are insane price wise, some of the rare NES games are selling for $1,000 loose like 2,500 complete with box and book and the super rare unopened games can be seen going for like $5,000+ I personally don't know who would spend that on a game. But the majority of common games, yeah cash value is only a few bucks.
  • May 17, 2015 9:46 PM EDT

I'd sell any bad games you got, but I'm not someone who gets very sentimental with stuff like this. Still no harm in keeping in them if you can't let them go.

• 6 posts
    May 18, 2015 2:30 PM EDT
    Lol Sovenguard