Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is there a compelling case for why Elder Scrolls VI should be in

• 773 posts
    May 6, 2015 10:44 AM EDT

I think we've all realised by now that the whole 'Elder Scrolls VI: Argonia' thing that was doing the rounds last  year was fake.

Still, maybe there is no smoke without fire, and there are still rumours persisting that Black Marsh might indeed still turn out to be the focus of Elder Scrolls VI.

But does that really make any sense? Is there a compelling case for an Elder Scrolls game set in Black Marsh. Granted, we don't know all that much about Black Marsh, but what we do know is that it is inhospitable and deadly, consisting largely of impassible swamps and marshlands. Whilst Argonians can live there, it appears that any of other race would find it almost impossible due to the terrain, climate and deadly diseases.

Doesn't that make the idea of having an Elder Scrolls game there somewhat impractical?

If you can make a case for why the next Elder Scrolls (or indeed any other future iteration) should be in Black Marsh then this is the place. If nobody can make that case, then I call bullshit on the whole 'Elder Scrolls: Argonia' idea....

• 1217 posts
    May 6, 2015 11:00 AM EDT

It certainly would be among the hardest choices for setting to justify, in terms of lore. Doesn't ESO allow players to explore Blackmarsh?

• 7 posts
    May 6, 2015 11:38 AM EDT
    I understand there would be a lot of technicalities to worry about if TES VI took place in black marsh but it still could be possible because yes if you were playing as a non-argonian race you would have to worry about disease and the way the diseases could be dealt with would maybe be the same as far cry 2 when your character has malaria and was having to constantly medicate so he didn't die so that is one way diseases could be handled and maybe with the argonians being racist the story could maybe semi depend on your race. the way video games are evolving and bethesda being the amazing company it is i think that TES VI could be completely revolutionary compared to the rest of the series and maybe the choices could effect the story in a more dragon age type way or if bethesda wanted to stay within their comfort zone maybe more choices and character personality like fallout had.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 6, 2015 12:16 PM EDT

I'm sort of worried we'll get Argonia, but it isn't as bad as the stories said. Like how Cyrodiil used to be a jungle.

I think it could be pulled off, but most people might not like that game style. I'm thinking Dark Souls II. Everything is trying to ill you, everything will kill you, and you will most likely die. They could limit this to the inland, though, and have less-hostile areas and cities along the coast where other races might be.

Though, to be honest, what is the story behind Black Marsh that would warrant a game? It has never been invaded successfully, and any usefulness is within the Argonians as slaves, not the land. The only reason it was brought into the Septim Empire was by treaty and because it was attached to Tamriel. There's simply no value in Argonia.

If the next setting is Morrowind (not Vvardenfall), we might get parts of northern Black Marsh thrown in.

I'm really hoping for anything but Argonia, to be honest. I just don't really like Argonians that much. Hammerfall, Elsewyre, High Rock, Valenwood, even Valinor would be awesome though.

• 134 posts
    May 6, 2015 12:39 PM EDT

It does, but you can only explore Shadowfen, which borders Morrowind to the north.

• 1217 posts
    May 6, 2015 12:44 PM EDT

Is there a larger world map that gives an idea as to how deep Shadowfen penetrates into Blackmarsh?

• 134 posts
    May 6, 2015 12:50 PM EDT

Shadowfen is at the bottom of the Ebonheart Pact area. There's really not that much of it, and the only city there is Stormhold. If the borders are confusing, just imagine the Deshaan/Shadowfen borders extending horizontally to each side.

• 133 posts
    May 6, 2015 1:20 PM EDT
    I personally think we will get two different provinces in the game: valenwood AND elesweyr. They are side by side so you could just walk from one to the other, I think that would be really cool. Also if you look at a map of tamriel you can see that both provinces combined equals the size of skyrim meaning we will have around the same sized map.

Also... YAY BOSMER!!
    • 966 posts
    May 6, 2015 1:20 PM EDT

I doubt they're going to make it take place in Black Marsh, atleast not in Black Marsh alone.

Personally I'm hoping they use the Torpal bay area. You'd have a bit of Black Marsh, Cyrodiil and Elsweyr.

• 485 posts
    May 6, 2015 1:43 PM EDT
    The current gen systems are so much more powerful than the last. There's no reason to limit the game to a single province. Why not open the entire content to exploration?
    • 1441 posts
    May 6, 2015 1:59 PM EDT

I guess because thats how a majority (I know Arena allowed you to go everywhere, and Daggerfall allowed you to visit two, technically three, provinces). It would fit for my storyline for VI. Basically, the second Great War has erupted, you are an agent of the THalmor/Empire, you will be interrogated, wit hthe  voice shifting between an Altmer and an Imperial, and your race decides who your interrogator is, and someone seems to be draining the magic from Nirn. 

• 40 posts
    May 6, 2015 2:11 PM EDT

I second this proposal.

• 134 posts
    May 6, 2015 2:54 PM EDT

That would be great, especially if Bethesda do Akavir for the next ES game, but I think at some point they made the argument that it's better for them to focus on one province so they nail it properly (that whole quality vs quantity debate).

EDIT: Didn't see Tom's post. In essence, I (and apparently Bethesda) agree totally with him.

• 134 posts
    May 6, 2015 2:59 PM EDT

Honestly, I'd like to see Black Marsh and Morrowind together being invaded by Akavir, then the player can voyage across the ocean to militia camps in Akavir to take on the Tsaesci/Ka Po'Tun. Throw in a plot twist and some spears and you'd have the perfect blend of story, nostalgia, awesome swamps and snake-people!

• 1595 posts
    May 6, 2015 3:56 PM EDT

I think it is safe to call the TES: Black Marsh idea horseshit. Although it depends on how far the story deviates from the path MK helped lay out, but he has said that the story of TES is the fall of man to the forces of mer and that the "beast races" are just bystanders.

Iirc, he wanted more Elder Scrolls Adventures games to explore the other provinces.

• 743 posts
    May 6, 2015 7:22 PM EDT

You need to get a job as a writer at Bethesda.

• 739 posts
    May 6, 2015 7:45 PM EDT

I don't care where it is!!! I just want it to be announced!

It's actually getting rather close as well. If you look up the timelines between games and $ being earned...

Here are my very base arguments...

'The Elder Scrolls' is Bethesda's baby.............'Fallout' is actually an adopted franchise. One would hope that they would prioritise the family name....and the staff are hopefully wired for all thing ES!!!

'Skyrim' made Bethesda around 2X more money than 'Fallout 3'..........and we're talking millions here. It's good business to go with what sells... and 100% more money seems like something worth investing in.

ESO...............it's apparently failed big time. I've never played it, barely watched a single gameplay video or looked into the 'new' lore........but almost everytime I've read an article it's a negative. The hope is that Beth are going to feel more preasure to take major steps to save (what is) a very big face and 'show em how it's done'.

The timeline, it's been over three years already!

Skyrim was announced over a year before it even came out! Anyone remember this?

• 490 posts
    May 6, 2015 7:52 PM EDT

I hope it isn't in Black Marsh. I would rather see what would be a more lore friendly, inhabitable place. My bet is on any province with desert.

With new tech and consoles, I would guess the appeal to show off dynamic weather more with possible sandstorms and such would be incredible.

My guess? Hammer fell or Elsweyr. Given that it would probably keep more people "sane" to NOT see khajoot all around 24/7, Hammerfell is the safer bet and one I am 100% OK with given my race and lore loves within the ES universe.

• 743 posts
    May 6, 2015 8:11 PM EDT

Couldn't have said it better myself, Mason. I'm already hyped for the game and it hasn't even been announced yet, lol. Only fear I have is that the TES series will fall into a multiplayer trap, kinda like Unity. 

• 622 posts
    May 6, 2015 8:21 PM EDT

Argonia is not all that bad. There are many reasons why Argonia could be explored, eg, disease kills off some of the more inhospital areas, the Empire invades and burns portions of the swamp down, or perhaps the Hist starts dying off and an unknown force is killing them? SO many things can be done, just gotta use your imagination!

• 739 posts
    May 6, 2015 8:33 PM EDT

People do tend to tag onto the line that 'much of Argonia is inhospitable'...cos it's all just swampy diseased mess!!

...but remember that Morrowind had an equally fierce description...

"Everything burns!! The air is turning to soot in my lungs!! Aaaaargh!" *dies from blight*

....and Skyrim was just snow and ice as far as the eye could see.............until we played the damn thing and found out that most of it is actually forest.

And you can bet that Elsweyr has some rocking jungle regions.....it wouldn't be just a bunch of sand with kittens chasing tumble weeds around the dunes.

There's nothing to worry about, it's going to be awesome wherever they choose...

• 622 posts
    May 6, 2015 8:37 PM EDT

Defiantly agree, Mason! Vardenfall was an ashy wasteland but we managed! 

• 490 posts
    May 6, 2015 9:36 PM EDT
    Well sure, and Cyrodiil based on lore is supposed to be mostly a thick jungle.
    • 68 posts
    May 7, 2015 9:57 AM EDT
    Here's my take on the story for the next TES game. Firstly the Emperor is dead which sparks the second great war and leads to the Dominion sacking Cyrodill. The Nords rally behind the Dragonborn and manage to keep the Dominion out of Skyrim. With control of the center of Tamriel the Dominion finally manages to defeat the Red Guard and gain control of Hammer Fall. Skyrim has now become a province of Refugees and the Dragonborn uses this to his/her advantage by bolstering his/her forces with those who would see the Dominion fall. Following Tiber Septim's example the Dragonborn begans scouring Tamriel for artifacts that may aid in defeating the Dominion. The player will be an agent of the Dragonborn sent to what ever province the game is set in to garner support from the local populice and seek out rare artifacts of extreme power. Since we don't know much about Argonia/Black Marsh it would be easy for Bethesda to include some crazy powerful artifact like the Eye of Magnus. Given what we do know about Argonia/Black Marsh it is safe to say it would not be entirely under Dominion control so it would be the perfect setting for the next game as Bethesda could have the Dominion trying to gain control of the Marsh while the player aids the Argonians in driving the Dominion out thus garnering the support of the Argonians and being lead to an ancient Artifact long thout destroyed The Heart of Lorkhan or another artifact as mysterious as the Eye of Magnus. That's just my take on the way the story is heading anyway.
  • Rob
    • 12 posts
    May 7, 2015 11:35 AM EDT

Honestly, Black Marsh doesn't appeal to me at all. I strongly dislike Argonians. Never played as one, never will. I'd much rather it be set in Valenwood and Elsweyr, since they're both kinda small. And I really like wood elves.